The Student Room Group

Chemistry - Stability of Compounds

I don't understand, in my CGP book it states: " Iron(III) iodide solution is unstable, because iodide ions are strong enough reducing agents to reduce the Fe3+ ions to Fe2+. Iron (III) chloride however, is stable because Cl- ions aren't powerful enough reducing agents to reduce Fe3+ ions. "

How does the reducing agent relate to stability, and why are Iodide ions used for iron iodide, and Chloride ions used for iron chloride?
Original post by I <3 WORK
I don't understand, in my CGP book it states: " Iron(III) iodide solution is unstable, because iodide ions are strong enough reducing agents to reduce the Fe3+ ions to Fe2+. Iron (III) chloride however, is stable because Cl- ions aren't powerful enough reducing agents to reduce Fe3+ ions. "

How does the reducing agent relate to stability, and why are Iodide ions used for iron iodide, and Chloride ions used for iron chloride?

You can consider the standard electrode potentials.

The E(V)\mathrm{E^{\circ}(V)} of Cl2\mathrm{Cl_2} reduction is 1.36
For Fe3+\mathrm{Fe^{3+}} to be reduced, the E(V)\mathrm{E^{\circ}(V)} value would have to be greater than 1.36. It isn't.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
t
OP
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
You can consider the standard electrode potentials.

The E(V)\mathrm{E^{\circ}(V)} of Cl2\mathrm{Cl_2} reduction is 1.36
For Fe3+\mathrm{Fe^{3+}} to be reduced, the E(V)\mathrm{E^{\circ}(V)} value would have to be greater than 1.36. It isn't.

What does EV mean and I don't understand, how does that relate to the stability of a compound?
Reply 3
What does EV mean and I don't understand, how does that relate to the stability of a compound?

Woah, never been quoted before.
The E part means 'Electrode Potential'
The V part means 'Voltage'

Essentially, they're both the same thing.

Electrode Potential is the potential of an element to accept electrons. The more positive this number is, the more it's likely to accept electrons.

So going back to what Kvone the Arcane said
The of reduction is 1.36

This is pretty high. It's likely to accept electrons and be reduced to Chloride Ions.
i.e. Cl2+2e2Cl \mathrm{Cl_2} + \mathrm{2e^-} \longrightarrow \mathrm{2Cl^-}

Now the of Fe3+ \mathrm{Fe^{3+}} is +0.77.

Because it's lower than our E of Cl2, it's going to remain oxidised. It's not going to get converted into Fe2+.

If this isn't making sense, let's look at that statement you said:
"Iron (III) chloride however, is stable because Cl- ions aren't powerful enough reducing agents to reduce Fe3+ ions"

We have two reactions.

Cl2+2e2Cl \mathrm{Cl_2} + \mathrm{2e^-} \longrightarrow \mathrm{2Cl^-}
Fe3++eFe2+ \mathrm{Fe^{3+}} + \mathrm{e^-} \longrightarrow \mathrm{Fe^{2+}}

If we want to reduce the Fe3+ ions to Fe2+ ions, the bottom reaction has to go forward, agreed?
In order to do that, we need to get electrons.
To get electrons, we can oxidise Cl-, i.e. the top reaction has to go backwards.

But, the higher the E, the more it's likely to accept electrons.
In other words, the higher the E, the more forward the reaction is.
Our top reaction, the Chlorine one has the higher E, so it's going to be forward.
Thus, the bottom reaction is backward.
As a result, we end up with Cl- and Fe3+. That's why it's stable, those two ions remain.

That's the reason for that other sentence
"Iron(III) iodide solution is unstable, because iodide ions are strong enough reducing agents to reduce the Fe3+ ions to Fe2+"

Again our two reactions are:
I2+2e2I \mathrm{I_2} + \mathrm{2e^-} \longrightarrow \mathrm{2I^-}

However, the E of I2 is +0.54.
The E of Fe3+/Fe2+ is +0.77.

So this time, the bottom reaction is going to go forward.
This means Fe3+ is going to be reduced to Fe2+

That's why if you try and create a solution of Fe(III) and I-, you can't get the two ions to live happily. I- is a strong enough reducing agent which causes the solution to be really unstable, because these ions are going to react. Stability depends upon the difference in E (electrode Potential) and which reactions need to go forward and backward.

Have you not done Electrochemistry?

Also, please ask away, I feel I've scared you with this long post
Reply 4
t
OP
Original post by RMNDK

Electrode Potential is the potential of an element to accept electrons. The more positive this number is, the more it's likely to accept electrons.

The of reduction is 1.36

This is pretty high. It's likely to accept electrons and be reduced to Chloride Ions.

Because it's lower than our E of Cl2, it's going to remain oxidised. It's not going to get converted into Fe2+.

"Iron (III) chloride however, is stable because Cl- ions aren't powerful enough reducing agents to reduce Fe3+ ions"

We have two reactions.

If we want to reduce the Fe3+ ions to Fe2+ ions, the bottom reaction has to go forward, agreed?
To get electrons, we can oxidise Cl-, i.e. the top reaction has to go backwards.

Our top reaction, the Chlorine one has the higher E, so it's going to be forward.
As a result, we end up with Cl- and Fe3+. That's why it's stable, those two ions remain.

"Iron(III) iodide solution is unstable, because iodide ions are strong enough reducing agents to reduce the Fe3+ ions to Fe2+"

That's why if you try and create a solution of Fe(III) and I-, you can't get the two ions to live happily. I- is a strong enough reducing agent which causes the solution to be really unstable, because these ions are going to react. Stability depends upon the difference in E (electrode Potential) and which reactions need to go forward and backward.

Omg I quoted you because you were seriously amazing at your explanation the last time - so ignore my pm lol I didn't see your reply. Thank you so much for this, I haven't finished reading so I'm going to read now then reply again if that's okay. :smile:
Reply 5
t
OP
Original post by RMNDK

The of reduction is 1.36

We have two reactions.

Ahah, to be honest when I first saw the post it really did scare me lol, but if I'm going to be honest when I read into it and understood it carefully it truly makes sense! So thank you so much you're amazing. I haven't actually learnt electrochemistry no :frown: as it doesn't come in AS, but yes I was just confused about the concept. Just one thing - so can you say that an unstable compound is one that is more likely to react - and does it always involve reduction reactions or would a compound being oxidised also be considered unstable?

Also when they are comparing the stability of both the iron chloride and iodide why are they using the same halide as reducing agents - for e.g. why don't they give the iron chloride reacting with iodide ions to compare the same stability?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Ahah, to be honest when I first saw the post it really did scare me lol, but if I'm going to be honest when I read into it and understood it carefully it truly makes sense! So thank you so much you're amazing. I haven't actually learnt electrochemistry no :frown: as it doesn't come in AS, but yes I was just confused about the concept. Just one thing - so can you say that an unstable compound is one that is more likely to react - and does it always involve reduction reactions or would a compound being oxidised also be considered unstable?

No problem!
Ah, I should have realised that you're in AS, yeah this is not an easy topic to learn at AS, let alone at A2, and condensing it into that post may still be insufficient.

Generally speaking yes, unstable compounds are more reactive because they're in a high energy state which means the particles have more potential chemical energy to transferred into other forms.

What I mean by that is, say somehow I add some heat energy to a box. If I add a tiny bit, there's not that much heat loss from the box, but if I add a shed load of heat energy, there's a good chance heat will escape from the box. The box is really unstable with all this energy, it can't contain it. Likewise, this unstable compound has all this potential energy that it needs to transfer.

It doesn't always involve reduction reactions, an unstable compound can be oxidised to something more stable.

For example, going back to your example on the Iron Iodide solution, we said Fe3+ is unstable relative to I-, so it tends to be reduced. And we can argue it the other way, I- is in it's unstable form when present with Fe3+, so it tends to be oxidised to I2.
Any reaction with reduction must involved oxidation, so you can think of stability from both sides.

When you get to A2, you're actually going to cover this idea of stability more and see what it means for a compound to be stable, and why unstable species tend to react.

Spoiler

Reply 7
t
OP
Original post by RMNDK
No problem!
Ah, I should have realised that you're in AS, yeah this is not an easy topic to learn at AS, let alone at A2, and condensing it into that post may still be insufficient.

Generally speaking yes, unstable compounds are more reactive because they're in a high energy state which means the particles have more potential chemical energy to transferred into other forms.

What I mean by that is, say somehow I add some heat energy to a box. If I add a tiny bit, there's not that much heat loss from the box, but if I add a shed load of heat energy, there's a good chance heat will escape from the box. The box is really unstable with all this energy, it can't contain it. Likewise, this unstable compound has all this potential energy that it needs to transfer.

It doesn't always involve reduction reactions, an unstable compound can be oxidised to something more stable.

For example, going back to your example on the Iron Iodide solution, we said Fe3+ is unstable relative to I-, so it tends to be reduced. And we can argue it the other way, I- is in it's unstable form when present with Fe3+, so it tends to be oxidised to I2.
Any reaction with reduction must involved oxidation, so you can think of stability from both sides.

When you get to A2, you're actually going to cover this idea of stability more and see what it means for a compound to be stable, and why unstable species tend to react.

Spoiler

Thank you so much for your explanations, even when you go in detail I prefer it to be honest because ironically a harder concept becomes rather easier to understand. I think I've finally come to grips with this topic so thank you once again - your analogies make things so simple! :u: I know now the first person to come to next. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
t
OP
You and RMNDK both have this natural flair to just explain things like magic, and I'm really not exaggerating when I say this because my Chemistry teacher is absolutely :poo: I'm sorry to say, and the difference like seriously...

Thank you so much! - your analogy is so good and I know that I will remember this forever now. :biggrin:

P.S: I'm sorry I wanted to give you two a rep but TSR didnt allow me to because I've to give someone else first. :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest