The Student Room Group

Nat 5 English - 8 Mark Question Textual Analysis??

I'm studying National 5 English and the exam is in just under 3 weeks (5th May) and I still cannot get my head round the 8 mark question for the Textual Analysis paper.

We are doing the 6 poems by Carol Ann Duffy. I've done multiple past papers and 4 out of 8 has been my highest mark so far. Our teacher has told us how to answer the question, but despite his instructions I still don't do very well.

Does anyone have any tips or examples? How do you personally master these questions?
hie we are also doing the 6 carol ann duffy poems. My teacher taught us to answer the question using different headings. have 3 heading which are:Commonality
-2 points explain how the poem is similar to another poem you learn, e.g mrs midas and you compare it with originallyRefer to the question and give 2 techniques
Extract- 2 points that answer the question and have 2 quotes from the poem and answer how that relates to the poem and the rest of the poem.REFER TO QUESTION
Other poem
-the poem you compared to in the commonality which would be e.g originally is the one you explain in the other poem section. Make sure that you refer to the question. You can use the same quotes as one in the commonality from that other poem
We are doing the Edwin Morgan poems but the 8 mark question is answered the same way. I got 20/20 for the Scottish text questions in the prelim so I hope I can be of assistance.

1st mark is for making a statement about the poem in front of you that relates to the question. This is only to be a brief statement so I would recommend no more than a couple of sentences. Eg. Hyena by Edwin Morgan is a poem which creates a striking visual impression through its depiction of the dry and barren landscape of Africa.
2nd mark is for making the same type of statement for your other poem. Eg. Winter is also a poem which creates a striking visual impression which is highlighted by the poets detailed description of a cold and depressing time of year where there is loss, death and everything decays.
3rd mark is for choosing a relevant quotation from the poem in front of you.
4th mark is for your analysis of this quotation ie. saying what the quotation tells you.
5th mark is for choosing a relevant quotation from the poem that is not in front of you.
6th mark is for your analysis of this quotation.
7th mark is for choosing another relevant quotation from the poem that is not in front of you.
8th mark is for your analysis of this quotation.

I hope this helps and good luck with the exam :smile:
Original post by ThatCardio
hie we are also doing the 6 carol ann duffy poems. My teacher taught us to answer the question using different headings. have 3 heading which are:Commonality
-2 points explain how the poem is similar to another poem you learn, e.g mrs midas and you compare it with originallyRefer to the question and give 2 techniques
Extract- 2 points that answer the question and have 2 quotes from the poem and answer how that relates to the poem and the rest of the poem.REFER TO QUESTION
Other poem
-the poem you compared to in the commonality which would be e.g originally is the one you explain in the other poem section. Make sure that you refer to the question. You can use the same quotes as one in the commonality from that other poem

Thankyou so much! Hopefully this will help me in a textual analysis practice I have tomorrow!
Original post by ___Sophie___
We are doing the Edwin Morgan poems but the 8 mark question is answered the same way. I got 20/20 for the Scottish text questions in the prelim so I hope I can be of assistance.

1st mark is for making a statement about the poem in front of you that relates to the question. This is only to be a brief statement so I would recommend no more than a couple of sentences. Eg. Hyena by Edwin Morgan is a poem which creates a striking visual impression through its depiction of the dry and barren landscape of Africa.
2nd mark is for making the same type of statement for your other poem. Eg. Winter is also a poem which creates a striking visual impression which is highlighted by the poets detailed description of a cold and depressing time of year where there is loss, death and everything decays.

Thankyou! This part ^ is really helpful, my teacher never explained this to me. Also, well done for getting 20/20. That's amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending