The Student Room Group

Muslims - Will you fast during exam period? Exam clash with Ramadan

Scroll to see replies

While fasting for GCSEs is fine... The A2 exams are much longer and tougher. My advice.... DO NOT FAST, because those exams are the most important exams of your life. What you can do is to redo the fasts that you missed after your exams finished. This is the best way as Allah is all forgiving. While you will get more "strength". This is spitural not physical.
Original post by Arima
Except the tone he used was very disrespectful:
"looneys in the East" "Oppressive ideology" to name a few.

Ok so "looneys in the East" is bad, but he can claim the "looneys" to be ISIS.

And calling Islam an "oppressive ideology" is fully within his right.
Reply 62
Original post by nadeemkha_arab
actually fasting is beneficial. It's not just about cutting out the mcdonald's.
Fasting helps clean you're immune system. It's also incorporated into many body building workout plans, done by non-muslims too.

It also helps mentally by teaching you appreciate what you have, as well as making you a better person.
Maybe you should try fasting this year too, maybe you'll lose some of that arrogance and hatred within you.

amazing answer lol :d
Original post by Roofas
Oh behave! You don't deserve any sympathy for forcing yourself to follow outdated practices that verge on self-harming. You need mental liberating, that's what.

I'm not forcing myself to fast. Yes, it's compulsory to fast during Ramadan, but I enjoy fasting, and I choose to do it. There are Muslims who don't fast due to illnesses. No one is forcing them to fast.

It's not self harm as mentioned above^ in my previous reply.
You need mental liberating with your attitude towards people of different cultures and beliefs.
Reply 64
Original post by Axel Johann
To be fair, he's not trolling, he's fully within his right to question our beliefs.

Did you not see his first post?
'Loony Muslims'
That's not questioning that's insulting.
Reply 65
Original post by HAnwar
Exams is not a valid reason to miss fasting.
Remember these fasts are obligatory and it's not the same if you make them up.
You're not going to see a dramatic change in performance while fasting and sitting an exam.

Really? I thought it was.

I'm no expert, and I'm sure you know better than me, but I was taught that if fasting were to worsen your state for something than to instead improve yourself, which is the intention, you don't have to fast. So exams, job interviews, long journeys, sport competitions, things where having food for energy is crucial.

Some people do see a dramatic change. For many people, breakfast is incredibly important for a good performance, especially if an exam is in the morning, and perhaps the Suhur meal just doesn't cut it.
Reply 66
Original post by reinaadira
I find that a bit offensive
But whatever, your opinion
If you think fasting is outdated and near self harm, oh well
you are entitled to your opinion
but then again everyone is

Yes I regret the self-harm bit maybe. It certainly is unnecessary self-punishment that shouldn't be inflicted upon children however and definitely outdated. It's not quite child abuse.

Original post by IGCSEKid
:facepalm:Your still here...

I'm merely responding to all the quotes of my postings and any other comments aimed at me. If you don't like it why don't you arrange a boycott?
fasting because i only have around 7/8 exams when ramadhan starts, also my exam is only a couple of hours literally so i can handle it, and I need Allahs help and i need the prayers. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND EARLY RAMADHAN MUBARAK!!
Yepp :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by HAnwar
'Loony Muslims'

Use some context. I in no way called all Muslims loony, I was referring to just the ones who blow themselves up and cut off other people's heads for questioning their religion or loving someone of the wrong gender.

EDIT: or are those people not crazy? Are you condoning such crimes against humanity?
Original post by Roofas
Yes I regret the self-harm bit maybe. It certainly is unnecessary self-punishment that shouldn't be inflicted upon children however and definitely outdated. It's not quite child abuse.

I'm merely responding to all the quotes of my postings and any other comments aimed at me. If you don't like it why don't you arrange a boycott?

Fasting is a Choice.
Reply 71
Original post by Roofas

If you are going to make a relevant point, please do so, enough of these generalisations and media-brainwashed comments.
Reply 72
Original post by RMNDK
Really? I thought it was.

I'm no expert, and I'm sure you know better than me, but I was taught that if fasting were to worsen your state for something than to instead improve yourself, which is the intention, you don't have to fast. So exams, job interviews, long journeys, sport competitions, things where having food for energy is crucial.

Some people do see a dramatic change. For many people, breakfast is incredibly important for a good performance, especially if an exam is in the morning, and perhaps the Suhur meal just doesn't cut it.

I have never heard that from any scholar.
Even if it was to worsen things like exams, job interviews etc. these are all worldly things and we should be placing our deen before the dunya.

You can have a heavy suhur meal which can make up for breakfast.
Original post by Roofas
Use some context. I in no way called all Muslims loony, I was referring to just the ones who blow themselves up and cut off other people's heads for questioning their religion or loving someone of the wrong gender.

EDIT: or are those people not crazy? Are you condoning such crimes against humanity?

Well the people in the middle east who blow themselves up and cut other people's heads are NOT Muslims, as they don't follow the quran. They are just people with severe mental health issues.
Well I wont be fasting for two reasons, i suffer from epilepsy and if I dont have water I will have seziures also I will be doing my Gcse's and I cant concentrate but I will do half fasts on the days I wont be doing exams (drinking water only I know its not the same but some people dont even fast normally)
Original post by Roofas

Children don't have to fast, it's not compulsory for them to keep any. So there is not self-punishment inflicted on them as you are saying. In fact it's not self punishment at all. Where not hurting ourselves as a telling off.

Original post by Roofas

You haven't responded to any of my replies mate?
Original post by HAnwar
'Loony Muslims'

Look at this post:
Original post by Axel Johann
Ok so "looneys in the East" is bad, but he can claim the "looneys" to be ISIS.

And calling Islam an "oppressive ideology" is fully within his right.

His exact quote was:
Original post by Roofas
No wonder there are so many Muslim looneys in the Middle East.

I mean you can infer what he meant, but he didn't specifically state it.

---
Just before I was going to send off this post, look what he replied:
Original post by Roofas
Use some context. I in no way called all Muslims loony, I was referring to just the ones who blow themselves up and cut off other people's heads for questioning their religion or loving someone of the wrong gender.EDIT: or are those people not crazy? Are you condoning such crimes against humanity?

See he knows exactly what he's saying. There's a reason he isn't firing off posts like a machine gun, he's taking his time to reply and using words carefully.

Jumping and just calling him a troll makes us look bad IMO.
I will in shaa allah :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by Roofas

And the reasoning you provided for that was because they were fasting.
Ridiculous.
Original post by NadeemKha_Arab
I'm not forcing myself to fast. Yes, it's compulsory to fast during Ramadan, but I enjoy fasting, and I choose to do it. There are Muslims who don't fast due to illnesses. No one is forcing them to fast.

Not wishing to appear disruptive, but I see a slight contradiction here. You say that during Ramadan, fasting is compulsory, yet then you say that no one is forcing them to fast. If that's the case, then what is meant by "compulsory"?

Also, what would be the situation regarding being ill during Ramadan. Would one fast or not?

Do you mean that it is compulsory to fast during Ramadan unless one is ill?

Quick Reply

Latest