The Student Room Group

Court stops circumcision.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AperfectBalance
Ok look, Very very very small benefits. and anyway Smegma buildup only happens if you are super unhygienic. and do not wash for weeks.

I'm aware that the benefits are small, but you initially said that there were no benefits at all, so I corrected you :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
You enjoy these? :tongue:

(Yes, I did it again. :ninja:)

Spoiler

is TSR oppressing you that you have to wear niqaab in your emoji?

Not in real life, no.

aah I see, portraying yourself in a false light. A forgivable offense.

That might be a fair point, but how could you possibly conclude that from seeing my posts on this one thread? :lol: Anyway, they're not intended to make my posts apologetic -- I kind of treat it like an emoji filler (i.e. use them because I feel like an emoji would be appropriate but can't think of any in particular). :beard:

I've seen your posts on many threads. I see, you use them the way I use "lol".

No, unfortunately. :console:

Spoiler

thnx I need the comfort.

Spoiler

Original post by alkaline.

Spoiler

is TSR oppressing you that you have to wear niqaab in your emoji?

Of course not. I made an informed choice to oppress myself. :rolleyes:

aah I see, portraying yourself in a false light. A forgivable offense.

Thank you for your forgiveness. :eviltongue:

I've seen your posts on many threads. I see, you use them the way I use "lol".

Ah, I see. I'll take care to lessen my use of :tongue:, then. :tongue:

thnx I need the comfort.

Spoiler

You're welcome. :lol:

Spoiler

Original post by TheArtofProtest
In the scenarios above where the consent of the involved party is held by another, decisions are made in the best interests of the person, whether this be keeping said person alive or improving his/her health.

You haven't yet informed me why your opinion should take precedence over that of the parent's right to consent on behalf of their child (or a child's right to consent on behalf of their parents) and I suspect you never will.

Circumcision is not a good decision nor is it a needed one, In this circumstance the parents should have no right for consent unless there is something medically wrong and something that could cause serious harm
Original post by Legendary Quest
Of course if the child's life is at risk then action must be taken to keep them alive. It's similar to an adult getting into an accident, becoming unconscience and then being sent to hospital without consent. These cases are different because it's about making sure they stay alive.

Is circumcision necessary? Will someone die if they don't get circumcision? No. Is there a high chance that the child, in your scenario, will die if their limb (or whatever was affected) is not amputated? Yes.

If we use your logic, FGM and breast flattening is alright. Do you agree? Do you support FGM?

Also, you still haven't clarified one thing... Male circumcision should be permitted because the parents are acting in the child's best interests, correct? What are these benefits? Why can they not wait until they grow older and decide for themselves?

Along with my previous quote this person sums it up nicely. good job Need more sensible people like you
Reply 245
Original post by cherryred90s
Male circumcision does have benefits such as lowered risk of penile cancer/infection from smegma build up/UTIs
Showering daily works even better..

Original post by cherryred90s
Circumcised boys still masturbate and orgasm from sex. A fully circumcised girl/woman will be unlikely to climax and will feel either nothing at all or severe discomfort during sex. Not the same.

The fact that mal circumcision is less severe than FGM doesn't make it right.

Circumcised boys can still masturbate, especially now that we have liquid soap and lube, but the primarily intent was still to reduce their ability to masturbate.
Original post by Josb
but the primarily intent was still to reduce their ability to masturbate.

On a somewhat related note, how come you're not a member of the Ath-Soc? :K:
Where a child does not possess the capacity to consent, the parents can do so on his/her behalf (and vice-versa) believing it to be in the best interests of their own child (or parent).

That is my position and if you have any objections to the above, then inform me of them.

I believe that the best interest for my child is to chop of a hand and replace it with a hook.
Why should this be allowed?
As with everything there are different circumstances
Reply 248
Original post by Hydeman
On a somewhat related note, how come you're not a member of the Ath-Soc? :K:

What's the point of speaking of nothing? (unless we're allowed to make [insert religion]-phobic comments on that thread.)
Original post by Josb
What's the point of speaking of nothing? (unless we're allowed to make [insert religion]-phobic comments on that thread.)

It's a pretty inactive thread, but I was referring to the group, involvement with which involves nothing more after you've formally joined it. :wink:

(Also, while there's no explicit clause permitting or encouraging [insert religion]-phobic comments, we are allowed to criticise religion(s), within (what passes for) reason (on TSR).)
Being flippant about this isn't helping whatever argument you are trying to present. Instead of presenting pathetic hypotheticals or practices, try arguing against why parents do not have a child's best interests at heart.

try arguing against why parents do not have a child's best interests at heart
What if the kid in 10 years says he wished he had a foreskin, and just because you think you are doing good does not mean you are, and the facts are that it is not very beneficial. It should be the choice of a informed adult or teen
In the scenarios above where the consent of the involved party is held by another, decisions are made in the best interests of the person, whether this be keeping said person alive or improving his/her health.

You haven't yet informed me why your opinion should take precedence over that of the parent's right to consent on behalf of their child (or a child's right to consent on behalf of their parents) and I suspect you never will.

How is circumcision in the best interest of the child and/or how does it improve their health?

You say that as though all parents are saints. Lets forgive all child abusers so long as they're the parents. I mean, why should my opinion take precedence over the child's parents even if they're cutting off part of their body or physically abusing their child?
Original post by Josb
Allah (pbuh) is so strong that he can give you reminders when you criticise him (pbuh). You can't fight Allah (pbuh).

(pbuh)

Indeed, he is the best of schemers.

You can't out-Machiavelli him
Original post by Josb

I did... but the pious found me :frown: - who'd have thought they'd scout the atheist thread looking to get offended?
Original post by Josb
Showering daily works even better..

Showering has nothing to do with cancer or UTIs.
The fact that mal circumcision is less severe than FGM doesn't make it right.

Yes, it's a lot less severe and because of this, the two aren't really comparable.
Circumcised boys can still masturbate, especially now that we have liquid soap and lube, but the primarily intent was still to reduce their ability to masturbate.

May well have been the primary intent, I haven't disputed that. circ men can still climax without lube and liquid soap
The issue is not about certain procedures, but that of consent, in that where and when can a parent consent on behalf of their child. Why should we take your arbitrary line, formed from your own opinions, and apply it universally?

Your proposal is a scatter-gun approach. Unclear, unreasonable and unfit to be practical.

Do you not believe that there should be limitations on what parents can and can't do?
Original post by Hydeman
Of course not. I made an informed choice to oppress myself. :rolleyes:
why would you do that?! now I can't talk to you properly cause I can only see your eyes and eyes aren't really the windows to the souls so I don't know how you're feeling.
Thank you for your forgiveness. :eviltongue:
Why are you sticking your out tongue at me?

Spoiler

Ah, I see. I'll take care to lessen my use of :tongue:, then. :tongue:
don't feel forced, but it's for your own good.
You're welcome. :lol:

Spoiler

:biggrin:you only sound serious because you didn't recognise my "misplaced humour".

Spoiler

I believe the state should not serve as a surrogate for the upbringing of the child. It should be the parent's responsibility and they should be held accountable for their actions, until such a time where the child is able to exercise his mental faculties independently.

Ok. What do you think of parents who use physical abuse as a way of disciplining their child?
Corporal punishment should be used as a very last resort, after all alternatives are exhausted, and the child should not be hit out of frustration or anger.

Thoughts on FGM?
(edited 8 years ago)
Corporal punishment should be used as a very last resort, after all alternatives are exhausted, and the child should not be hit out of frustration or anger.

"Last resort" is vague and hypothetical. This could differ from people to people...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending