The Student Room Group

Should I drop physics AS level?

Hiya,
I'm doing my biology, chemistry, maths and physics at AS level. I have been doing really good in my other subjects, getting A's and sometimes B's.
However in physics I'm just doing really poorly, I'm getting E's. I have the option to drop the AS level because of the new reforms.
I want to do dentistry at university. And I'm afraid that dropping physics, might affect my application because I have only then done 3AS. Apparently there are some school who aren't doing AS at all. But I don't want to take a big risk, and then jeopardise my application. Some universities doesn't expect an AS level while other universities wouldn't mind having applicants do AS levels.

I'm wondering whether having 3A's then a C (I think I can get a C in physics if I try more) is better than just 3A's.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Bump
Bump
I would advise you don't considering you'd have wasted a year and a lot of unis need you to have an extra 4th AS.
Original post by champ_mc99
I would advise you don't considering you'd have wasted a year and a lot of unis need you to have an extra 4th AS.

Yes I was thinking that. But because of the new AS unis said they don't expect people to do AS. So I'm really confused. I don't want to do really bad in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

This isn't correct.

I don't think there's any university have released information of 2017 entry for any course which asks for a fourth AS. As to do this would be incredibly unfair on those schools which don't have large enough budgets to put their students in for 4 AS exams.

In fact, many universities have disclosed that they do not require a fourth AS subject.

Anyway, OP, I'd say try stick it out as it's almost over. However, if it will negatively affect your other grades, think about dropping it.
Original post by Kozmo
This isn't correct.

I don't think there's any university have released information of 2017 entry for any course which asks for a fourth AS. As to do this would be incredibly unfair on those schools which don't have large enough budgets to put their students in for 4 AS exams.

In fact, many universities have disclosed that they do not require a fourth AS subject.

Anyway, OP, I'd say try stick it out as it's almost over. However, if it will negatively affect your other grades, think about dropping it.

Ooops yeah I forgot about the changes and was thinking about 2016 entry and earlier. Better advice ^^
Original post by Kozmo
This isn't correct.

Hey,
Yeah some of the universities which dentistry said that people who do not do AS levels won't be disadvantaged. However in the UCAS form I need to add my school's policies. And their policy is that everyone will do 4AS. So I'm afraid that unis will not like the idea that I dropped an AS.
It's just quite confusing, because there's exactly a month left till the exam. So I'm not sure what to. Argh, so frustrating!

Thank for the advice though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooops yeah I forgot about the changes and was thinking about 2016 entry and earlier. Better advice ^^

Thank you still :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by DaVinciGirl
Hey,
Yeah some of the universities which dentistry said that people who do not do AS levels won't be disadvantaged. However in the UCAS form I need to add my school's policies. And their policy is that everyone will do 4AS. So I'm afraid that unis will not like the idea that I dropped an AS.
It's just quite confusing, because there's exactly a month left till the exam. So I'm not sure what to. Argh, so frustrating!

Thank for the advice though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're aiming for particularly high UMS (e.g if you're applying for Cambridge) and you'd be able to perform better with 3 then maybe that would be better.

However, my advice (take it with a pinch a salt) would be to continue the four till the end of this academic year.
Original post by Kozmo
If you're aiming for particularly high UMS (e.g if you're applying for Cambridge) and you'd be able to perform better with 3 then maybe that would be better.

However, my advice (take it with a pinch a salt) would be to continue the four till the end of this academic year.

I just really want to get into Birmingham, as its local. But I really don't mind any other uni.
I might take the AS because I know I can do better if I do past papers (only did a few so far) cause for physics you need to do a lot questions.
However I'm not sure if I have enough time! There's only thirty days left! And I have by Friday to make a decision :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest