The Student Room Group

Muslims - Will you fast during exam period? Exam clash with Ramadan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by IGCSEKid
Well the people in the middle east who blow themselves up and cut other people's heads are NOT Muslims, as they don't follow the quran. They are just people with severe mental health issues.

I seriously keep trying to rep you for all of your amazing comments LOL but I can't haha
Original post by Roofas
I'm not trying to be a nuisance but how will blessing help.

Will Allah's blessing make the exam questions that were decided months ago be the ones that you know?

Will Allah's blessing affect the chemical composition of your brain and allow you to think clearer and recall deeper information?

Will Allah's blessing give you the answer to questions you don't know?

Does Allah affect the non-believers who set these exams and the people who mark them? Really and truly, even if he exists how can he even help you?

This is a public thread in a public forum I am a member of the public I am permitted to say what I like as long as it isn't offensive, and I don't think anything I've said thus far is. I'm merely making legitimate observations, quips and queries.

Yeah I don't mind questions/challenges but your tone was kinda off. But anyways, I think He could help in anyway He likes. Say a few minutes before the exam I suddenly remember to revise a case study and it happens to be in the exam. Something like that.

If He doesn't exist have you thought along the lines of a sort of placebo effect? People decide to fast (or pray etc.) and hope God will help them, so psychologically they believe they can think more clearly during the exam because they believe they have God's blessing.
I willnot be fasting as i have epilepsy and a lack of water will add to my condition
Reply 83
Original post by frankieboy
Not wishing to appear disruptive, but I see a slight contradiction here. You say that during Ramadan, fasting is compulsory, yet then you say that no one is forcing them to fast. If that's the case, then what is meant by "compulsory"?

Also, what would be the situation regarding being ill during Ramadan. Would one fast or not?

Do you mean that it is compulsory to fast during Ramadan unless one is ill?

We have free will. Its our choice whether we want to follow Allah's commands or not.
Original post by Roofas
Use some context. I in no way called all Muslims loony, I was referring to just the ones who blow themselves up and cut off other people's heads for questioning their religion or loving someone of the wrong gender.

EDIT: or are those people not crazy? Are you condoning such crimes against humanity?

Incorrect, you never specified people you blow themselves up.

You're not very good at this are you?

Original post by safiyyah98
If you are going to make a relevant point, please do so, enough of these generalisations and media-brainwashed comments.

He is brainwashed, it's clear as daylight. He's just throwing arguments against Islam but all of them are untrue.
My exams end before Ramadan starts but I intend to fast before/during my medical finals next year Insha'Allah :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by Axel Johann
Look at this post:

His exact quote was:
I mean you can infer what he meant, but he didn't specifically state it.

---
Just before I was going to send off this post, look what he replied:

See he knows exactly what he's saying. There's a reason he isn't firing off posts like a machine gun, he's taking his time to reply and using words carefully.

Jumping and just calling him a troll makes us look bad IMO.

Yes and what has that got with us students fasting?
He was trying to say that Muslims do those kinds of things because they fast.

No it doesn't. The only person that looks bad in this thread is him, as you can see from others replies too.
Please stop trying to defend him.
Reply 87
Original post by NadeemKha_Arab
Incorrect, you never specified people you blow themselves up.

You're not very good at this are you?

He is brainwashed, it's clear as daylight. He's just throwing arguments against Islam but all of them are untrue.

I know, I actually feel bad for him, its not his fault he is so unintelligent.
Original post by HAnwar
I haven't seen any scholar which says it's permissible to miss fasting due to exams.
There are lots of circumstances in which you can, but exams don't come under it.

Hmmm... You could be right.
Man half of you don't even eat breakfast anyway why you using this as a reason not to fast, you know you wouldn't be eating s*** on a regular day :rofl:
Original post by safiyyah98
We have free will. Its our choice whether we want to follow Allah's commands or not.

I'm having trouble connecting this to the word "compulsory", I guess.

Put more simply - something can not be compulsory if it is up to the individual's decision whether they do it or not. This, by definition, means that it's not compulsory. So it seems that it's simultaneously not compulsory and compulsory. Which confuses me.
Reply 91
Original post by GcseBoy123321
Well I wont be fasting for two reasons, i suffer from epilepsy and if I dont have water I will have seziures also I will be doing my Gcse's and I cant concentrate but I will do half fasts on the days I wont be doing exams (drinking water only I know its not the same but some people dont even fast normally)

Im epileptic toooo, and the past few years I've fasted I did have seizures... mostly myoconic seizures with a grand mal once a year, but I used to have half a dozen to a dozen of myoconic per day. It was ridiculous. Luckily ramadan started after my final exams during that period. But yes it's good for you, to avoid fasting during your exams, and I'd advise not pushing yourself too far on days where you've done like, A LOT of revision (4+ hrs or so) :smile:

Also as a side note: it is permissible to not fast if fasting is detrimental to your health.
Not wishing to appear disruptive, but I see a slight contradiction here. You say that during Ramadan, fasting is compulsory, yet then you say that no one is forcing them to fast. If that's the case, then what is meant by "compulsory"?

Also, what would be the situation regarding being ill during Ramadan. Would one fast or not?

Do you mean that it is compulsory to fast during Ramadan unless one is ill?

Yes, sorry my post wasn't very clear.

It is compulsory to fast during Ramadan, unless one is ill, yes.
I was trying to argue that fasting isn't forced on a person. If they are ill, then that would be self harm, which is actually a sin.
Hence, if you are ill to an extent where it will harm you then you shouldn't fast.

I hope that is clearer.
ofcourse
Reply 94

Put more simply - something can not be compulsory if it is up to the individual's decision whether they do it or not. This, by definition, means that it's not compulsory. So it seems that it's simultaneously not compulsory and compulsory. Which confuses me.

So school is compulsory right? But we have a choice whether we go or not. Our parents may encourage and want us to attend but we could easily pretend we are going to school and skive and hide in town instead. We made the decision to do that with our free will.

No it's not. If my teacher says, "it's compulsory for you to attend the Saturday session", I still have a choice on whether to go or not.
Reply 96
Original post by IGCSEKid
Well the people in the middle east who blow themselves up and cut other people's heads are NOT Muslims, as they don't follow the quran. They are just people with severe mental health issues.
Well we'll leave the terrorism side out of the equation but there are still death penalties across the World's Islamic Republics like Pakistan for minor crimes and it really is terrible. In Saudi Arabia you can be beheaded for Adultery, Apostasy, Blasphemy and Homosexuality and it cannot be defended, this unfortunate custom in Islamic countries.

Children don't have to fast, it's not compulsory for them to keep any. So there is not self-punishment inflicted on them as you are saying. In fact it's not self punishment at all. Where not hurting ourselves as a telling off.

You haven't responded to any of my replies mate?

These alerts are coming quite quickly you must understand, I don't wish to offend you but your comments have been the least pressing/relevant/constructive thus far.

I'm certainly not attempting to do this and I'm not 'brainwashed in any sense.

You're other posts are just saying your opinion of fasting, I can't really comment on that. What am I supposed to say to "Maybe you should try fasting this year too, maybe you'll lose some of that arrogance and hatred within you."?

@Axel Johann I certainly appreciate your comments. It certainly is very decent of you, considering these are issues undoubtedly close to your heart.

I would like to reiterate that I haven't gone out of my way to individually offend anyone as such. I really have only been expressing my personal views upon the subject which is something I feel I have the right to do.
Now im not a Muslim, im an atheist actually, but i respect that these people have a right to believe what they want. Trying to talk them out of their religion is not going to end well for anyone, its like if a Muslim came over to all of my threads shoving Islam down my throat id be pretty mad. Stop shoving atheist ideas into theirs.

One way to explain it:

You can choose to pay taxes to the government, or you can choose to avoid it.
But at the end of the day you should be paying it, because that is the law.

Obviously as mentioned before, this applies to a healthy person, who is fit to fast.
Original post by HAnwar
Yes and what has that got with us students fasting?
He was trying to say that Muslims do those kinds of things because they fast.

No it doesn't. The only person that looks bad in this thread is him, as you can see from others replies too.
Please stop trying to defend him.

Good point :getmecoat:

But the reason I was defending him is because I fear that we're too quick to just say "report" and then adding fuel to KingBradly and them others' fire about how the criticism of Islam is being censored on TSR.

And then when they make a big fuss about it, they point to their clever wording and say that they weren't in the wrong. Which when you look at it word for word, they kind of weren't because of their clever wording. Thus making us look bad because it makes us look like we're just trying to censor any criticism of Islam.

I do admit you are right in this case, and maybe this case wasn't the best time to point of my long brewing fears, so I'm sorry for that. But it is something I am concerned with. These guys are playing smart now.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest