The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Life_peer
Human rights organisations surely do enjoy flushing public money away… I'll let you figure out the rest.

If we catch a terrorist right before the act, we should just put her against a wall and shoot her, not spend twenty years on trials.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

From the report on the website above:

Assessment of Costs by Judge Arthur Alarcon and Prof. Paula Mitchell (2011, updated 2012)The authors concluded that the cost of the death penalty in California has totaled over $4 billion since 1978 $1.94 billion--Pre-Trial and Trial Costs$925 million--Automatic Appeals and State Habeas Corpus Petitions$775 million--Federal Habeas Corpus Appeals$1 billion--Costs of IncarcerationThe authors calculated that, if the Governor commuted the sentences of those remaining on death row to life without parole, it would result in an immediate savings of $170 million per year, with a savings of $5 billion over the next 20 years.

Also from the Guardian, same findings: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jun/20/california-death-penalty-execution-costs

There we go, I think I just debunked your whole argument that the death penalty saves money. Now that settled, do you have any other flawed arguments?
Human rights organisations surely do enjoy flushing public money away… I'll let you figure out the rest.

If we catch a terrorist right before the act, we should just put her against a wall and shoot her, not spend twenty years on trials.

I am so very glad we don't live in a country where this kind of thinking has a place in the legal system.
Original post by Underscore__
What if they're being coerced? What if they have diminished responsibility? What if they're sleepwalking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Coerced into orchestrating a bomb attack is still capital punishment in my books, diminished responsibility is just what every defence lawyer would say, and I hope sleepwalking is a joke.

Some cases simply aren't complex and they could be resolved swiftly if it weren't for liberalism and bureaucracy that prevent justice. Everyone knew Al Capone was a crook making other people's lives miserable but no one could find anything to put him away (or down) for a long time. Why? Incapable justice. For the very same reasons, far too many people roam free nowadays.

Believe in what you want to believe in, I'm not here to argue, just express my opinion.

Original post by Mr Hyde(r)
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

From the report on the website above:

Assessment of Costs by Judge Arthur Alarcon and Prof. Paula Mitchell (2011, updated 2012)The authors concluded that the cost of the death penalty in California has totaled over $4 billion since 1978 $1.94 billion--Pre-Trial and Trial Costs$925 million--Automatic Appeals and State Habeas Corpus Petitions$775 million--Federal Habeas Corpus Appeals$1 billion--Costs of IncarcerationThe authors calculated that, if the Governor commuted the sentences of those remaining on death row to life without parole, it would result in an immediate savings of $170 million per year, with a savings of $5 billion over the next 20 years.

Also from the Guardian, same findings: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jun/20/california-death-penalty-execution-costs

There we go, I think I just debunked your whole argument that the death penalty saves money. Now that settled, do you have any other flawed arguments?

Mister internet intellectual, you debunked nothing (it's the current cost, not the potential cost if done right) and it wasn't my entire argument either. Better luck next time! :h:
Mister internet intellectual, you debunked nothing (it's the current cost, not the potential cost if done right) and it wasn't my entire argument either. Better luck next time! :h:

What do you mean by potential cost if done right? The reports show how much the death penalty costs and that's how it is being run and they won't be changing it. I can make that argument for pretty much anything. It looks like you've dug yourself into a very deep hole and are coming up with very slippery slope arguments.
Coerced into orchestrating a bomb attack is still capital punishment in my books, diminished responsibility is just what every defence lawyer would say, and I hope sleepwalking is a joke.

Some cases simply aren't complex and they could be resolved swiftly if it weren't for liberalism and bureaucracy that prevent justice. Everyone knew Al Capone was a crook making other people's lives miserable but no one could find anything to put him away (or down) for a long time. Why? Incapable justice. For the very same reasons, far too many people roam free nowadays.

Not everyone involved in a terrorist attack is an orchestrator. You're showing a blatant ignorance to legal process by saying diminished responsibility is just 'what every defence lawyer would say'. No sleepwalking isn't a joke, granted its highly unlikely but not impossible.

No, some cases aren't complex but there still needs to be a trial. I think you'd be more at home in Saudi Arabia where a more relaxed approach is taken with regard to legal process

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. Executing a person only creates more grief and suffering. I can't understand why a victim's family would want another family to feel the same loss they have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think for things like Terrorism, but for murder sadly due to the failure rates no.
Original post by Drummerz
Why not? its an apt punishment?, you replied my first question with a question but not an answer. Why then do I deserve the right to live?

For me it's not the question of whether the criminal deserves to live, but does the state have the right to take a life? I don't believe it should.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. But I think that we should make them to be used for medical trials.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
No. But I think that we should make them to be used for medical trials.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No a fan of human rights then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No a fan of human rights then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's got to the point where I care about animals more than I care about humans who are not friends/family etc. and who deserve punishment. Also, makes developing human target medicine easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MockingJay-
What's your verdict? Is it right to kill someone for killing somebody?

nope, just ship em off to the pacific garbage island. they can fend for themselves and clean the environment. its a win win if you ask me
It's got to the point where I care about animals more than I care about humans who are not friends/family etc. and who deserve punishment. Also, makes developing human target medicine easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure when people will get the message that countries that place more emphasis on rehabilitation have lower crime rates than those who emphasise 'punishment'

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure when people will get the message that countries that place more emphasis on rehabilitation have lower crime rates than those who emphasise 'punishment'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fine, call it rehabilitation through making yourself useful and helping the progress of medicine and decreasing the necessity for lab animals.

Enforced volunteering is great for your CV and sll.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fine, call it rehabilitation through making yourself useful and helping the progress of medicine and decreasing the necessity for lab animals.

Enforced volunteering is great for your CV and sll.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankfully the HRA would never allow such backward practices. I find it amazing how so many people criticise how backward countries like Saudi Arabia are, yet propose ideas too barbaric even for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankfully the HRA would never allow such backward practices. I find it amazing how so many people criticise how backward countries like Saudi Arabia are, yet propose ideas too barbaric even for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Saudi Arabia don't want to save the animals. Anyway, I prefer to call it community service.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
100% pro-death penalty.
Saudi Arabia don't want to save the animals. Anyway, I prefer to call it community service.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What relevance does that have? It doesn't matter what you prefer to call it, it's torture

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by MockingJay-
What's your verdict? Is it right to kill someone for killing somebody?

Dying is the easy way out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rolleyes: Why do they 'deserve' punishment then? What's the purpose of it? To make them suffer?

Latest