The Student Room Group

Proof read German speaking

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheOtherSide.
Here are some things I found for you to correct. The bit in red I'm not too sure about, since I don't think there's a word for 'bucket list' in German.

@Inexorably anything else you'd add? Edit: Oops, looks like I was too late :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure if someobe has already mentioned, but as a german native speaker I would not say "auf Ferien fahren". It would either be " in die Ferien fahren" or "auf Urlaub fahren" :wink:

And I would say Löffelliste, I guess most people would get what you mean
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by defenestrated
LOL i'm trying to scrape an A tbh :frown:
we don't have any coursework though, it's all exam

did you used to be fluent, when you lived in Austria?

You'll get there, don't worry! :hugs:

Oh damn.. I dunno how I'd be able to deal with all exams :afraid:

Uh, I think so... :dunno: Except I do remember having to go on some kind of club to learn cases (and I still can't do cases :getmecoat:)
Original post by pBluescript
Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure if someobe has already mentioned, but as a german native speaker I would not say "auf Ferien fahren". It would either be " in die Ferien fahren" or "auf Urlaub fahren" :wink:

And I would say Löffelliste, I guess most people would get what you mean

Oh yeah, I hadn't even noticed that! Thank you. I've tagged OP so that they see these corrections.

Uh, I think so... :dunno: Except I do remember having to go on some kind of club to learn cases (and I still can't do cases :getmecoat:)

i don't think i'll get too hopeful :emo: good luck for yours though!!

the speaking is kind of a controlled assessment, since it's not actually during exams ? idkkkk

you still have some german instinct then :cool: and dw you're probably a lot better than me we did sooo much on cases in lessons but i didn't really pay attention (that's my entire problem i think)

the speaking is kind of a controlled assessment, since it's not actually during exams ? idkkkk

you still have some german instinct then :cool: and dw you're probably a lot better than me we did sooo much on cases in lessons but i didn't really pay attention (that's my entire problem i think)

Even German native speakers struggle with cases from time to time :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even German native speakers struggle with cases from time to time :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i always thought it would be natural if you've always spoken german?
but cool to see everyone else is suffering too :tongue:

my friend who's fluent did her gcse in year 7 and got 100% :redface:
i always thought it would be natural if you've always spoken german?
but cool to see everyone else is suffering too :tongue:

my friend who's fluent did her gcse in year 7 and got 100% :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is quite a difference between spoken German and written German and sometimes things are acceptable in spoken German that are just not really correct ^^ for example you could say das or der Teller, the same goes for Monat
(But der would be the right form :wink: )
(edited 8 years ago)

What don't you get about cases? I think with time you honestly just get used to them, and when certain prepositions pop in you know to put them in dative/acc/etc.

Cases seem awful but you will come to realise there are much, much worse things in German than cases :tongue:
--
While I'm here, in your thingy it should be bei diesem event not diesen SOZ THIS REMINDED ME.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Inexorably
What don't you get about cases? I think with time you honestly just get used to them, and when certain prepositions pop in you know to put them in dative/acc/etc.

Cases seem awful but you will come to realise there are much, much worse things in German than cases :tongue:
--
While I'm here, in your thingy it should be bei diesem event not diesen SOZ THIS REMINDED ME.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seeing German natives mix up dem and den pretty much everyday makes me wonder if there really is anything more difficult xD
Posted from TSR Mobile

Seeing German natives mix up dem and den pretty much everyday makes me wonder if there really is anything more difficult xD

I'd say it's the genders themselves that atre difficult, not the cases. I wouldn't mind genders if there was an actual system to determining the gender of a noun and not having to logically guess based on a suffix or just plain guess. Learning off by heart is very difficult :wink:

Though that said, some verbs that require a certain case are...irritating. Like once you start doing that you ruin the whole concept of an 'indirect object' (when you use a verb that has a direct object but is dative e.g. Ich helfe dir :///).
Don't forget to throw in "Achso!" or "Ach, tja!" at the start of some paragraphs- idioms are goooooooooooood

Naww, I'm sure you could aim for the A* :yep:

Okay, so you get to plan a bit? That's good, right?

I guess that if you don't enjoy a subject, you're less likely to pay attention? :dontknow:

Spoiler

--

Mostly just remembering what adjective endings or pronoun endings I'm supposed to have, but yeah, prepositions are mostly fine. (apart from that mistake with 'bei' :colondollar: I'll change it - thanks!)

There are? :afraid:

Mostly just remembering what adjective endings or pronoun endings I'm supposed to have, but yeah, prepositions are mostly fine. (apart from that mistake with 'bei' :colondollar: I'll change it - thanks!)

There are? :afraid:

yes prepositions r worst seriously it's so messed up like trying to say 'by' in German is like trying to do a sudoku puzzle trust me pls.

um what else is bad; oh jfc modal particles
modal
particles

modal particles will keep u awake at night
yes prepositions r worst seriously it's so messed up like trying to say 'by' in German is like trying to do a sudoku puzzle trust me pls.

um what else is bad; oh jfc modal particles
modal
particles

modal particles will keep u awake at night

It's not like I can ever forget the whole zu/nach confusion :lol:

Modal particles? Like müssen and sollen? Or something much worse...?
It's not like I can ever forget the whole zu/nach confusion :lol:

Modal particles? Like müssen and sollen? Or something much worse...?

Oh no

it's worse.

it's worse.

Explanation here with one example: http://deutscheveryweekend.tumblr.com/post/141507308957/german-modal-particles-aber
or http://germanforenglishspeakers.com/other/modal-particles/

There are about 30+ of them, the ones I can recall are all normal words that can be used as particles - aber, allerdings, bloß, denn, wohl, doch, ja, wohl, eben, eh.

They wouldn't be bad if some of them didn't have about 9 different ways of changing a sentence it's enough to make you go mad.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh no

it's worse.

it's worse.

Explanation here: http://deutscheveryweekend.tumblr.com/post/141507308957/german-modal-particles-aber
or http://germanforenglishspeakers.com/other/modal-particles/

There are about 30+ of them, the ones I can recall are all normal words that can be used as particles - aber, allerdings, bloß, denn, wohl, doch, ja, wohl, eben, eh.

They wouldn't be bad if some of them didn't have about 9 different ways of changing a sentence it's enough to make you go mad.

Ohhh those! Like echt? I didn't think they were that hard (I've clearly not experienced them enough :colondollar:)
Ohhh those! Like echt? I didn't think they were that hard (I've clearly not experienced them enough :colondollar:)

echt is a qualifier (it uhhh expresses a degree of something - things like sehr, ziemlich, echt, recht etc are qualifiers) which just intensifiers a word, whereas modal particles have the ability to change the meaning of an entire sentence :tongue:

For example, sentence:

Warum haben sie bloß das Auto gekauft? - can translate as "why have they only bought that car?" OR
"Why have they bought that car [I am wondering]".

The modal particle adds extra meaning from the speaker instead, idk it's really not easy to explain.
--
Gonna be ****ing awkward if echt is actually an example of a modal particle now.
echt is a qualifier (it uhhh expresses a degree of something - things like sehr, ziemlich, echt, recht etc are qualifiers) which just intensifiers a word, whereas modal particles have the ability to change the meaning of an entire sentence :tongue:

For example, sentence:

Warum haben sie bloß das Auto gekauft? - can translate as "why have they only bought that car?" OR
"Why have they bought that car [I am wondering]".

The modal particle adds extra meaning from the speaker instead, idk it's really not easy to explain.
--
Gonna be ****ing awkward if echt is actually an example of a modal particle now.

Ahh, I saw some other words there, which I guess I'm familiar with as modal particles? But wow that's a lot of different meanings for each modal particle... :afraid:

Nah, I think I get it (I'm quite sure I used some of them as a stroppy seven year old kid :tongue:)

Don't think it is - that was probably just me getting confused for a bit :getmecoat:
Ahh, I saw some other words there, which I guess I'm familiar with as modal particles? But wow that's a lot of different meanings for each modal particle... :afraid:

Nah, I think I get it (I'm quite sure I used some of them as a stroppy seven year old kid :tongue:)

Don't think it is - that was probably just me getting confused for a bit :getmecoat:

Some of them are just a pain in the ass for the number of meanings they hold, like with denn - as a modal particle it can either:

- tone down questions OR
- show reproach OR
- create rhetorical questions OR
- show exclamation/surprise OR
- be used to recall a fact

depending entirely on context

its 2 much
i cant
why did i pick a language with this ****
Some of them are just a pain in the ass for the number of meanings they hold, like with denn - as a modal particle it can either:

- tone down questions OR
- show reproach OR
- create rhetorical questions OR
- show exclamation/surprise OR
- be used to recall a fact

depending entirely on context

its 2 much
i cant
why did i pick a language with this ****

German next year should be interesting...

Because you love it :yep:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending