The Student Room Group

How hard will A level maths be?

i am predicted an A for GCSE maths this year, although maths doesn't come naturally to me, How difficult would A level maths be for me? I have asked my maths teacher and he said it was piss soo....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Trust me its not that bad, just need to start past papers early and keep practising
Reply 2
Original post by yoda123
Trust me its not that bad, just need to start past papers early and keep practising

Is that what you did? What grade did you get?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Rajive
Is that what you did?

Yeah, I got an A at AS and hopefully will get A* overall. I'm in A2 and regularly doing past papers, Maths is the subject I'm least worried about. Dw there are plenty of resources: mrbartonmaths, ExamSolutions and there's not even that much to cover tbh
Reply 4
Brush its hard, I'm targeted an A and am currently at an E grade and its a moth till my first AS exam, my advice would be start doing papers as soon as you can and keep on top of your revision. I'm only learning that now and look at the outcome.
Reply 5
Original post by te.lope
Brush its hard, I'm targeted an A and am currently at an E grade and its a moth till my first AS exam, my advice would be start doing papers as soon as you can and keep on top of your revision. I'm only learning that now and look at the outcome.

Was the hardest part adjusting to the workload or content?
Reply 6
Original post by Rajive
Was the hardest part adjusting to the workload or content?

Personally its the pace of the course, its so fast omg, if I didn't understand something in that lesson, it would have to wait till after school, and you can't linger on it too much or else you'll miss everything else going on.
Also, like all alevels (especially maths and science) the questions are ones where there is more than more topic in a question, very rarely will the question and method be as straight forward as the ones in the book, so you really have to understand it. But tbh I'm a bit biased because me and maths are currently at war.
Reply 7
Original post by te.lope
Personally its the pace of the course, its so fast omg, if I didn't understand something in that lesson, it would have to wait till after school, and you can't linger on it too much or else you'll miss everything else going on.
Also, like all alevels (especially maths and science) the questions are ones where there is more than more topic in a question, very rarely will the question and method be as straight forward as the ones in the book, so you really have to understand it. But tbh I'm a bit biased because me and maths are currently at war.

Are you dropping it after this year?
Reply 8
Original post by Rajive
Are you dropping it after this year?
I'm 90% sure of it. Though I realised I sounded really negative, its just my personal experience, I have friends who also take it and are doing great so its all about you. I hope to drop it and just do all science (bio, phys and chem) for alevels but yeah maths really depends on you.
A Level maths is dependant on 2 things:
How hard you work (most important)
Natural aptitude helps.
I got a C first time at GCSE in year 9 and did just fine in AS.
Work smarter, not harder!!
Reply 10
Original post by The-Spartan
A Level maths is dependant on 2 things:
How hard you work (most important)
Natural aptitude helps.
I got a C first time at GCSE in year 9 and did just fine in AS.
Work smarter, not harder!!

What did you end up getting in AS?
Original post by Rajive
i am predicted an A for GCSE maths this year, although maths doesn't come naturally to me, How difficult would A level maths be for me? I have asked my maths teacher and he said it was piss soo....

ez pz
Reply 12
Original post by Shannon.SS
ez pz

Really?
Original post by rajive
what did you end up getting in as?

100 c1
100 c2
98 s1 (-_-)
298/300.
Reply 14
i personally struggle with it and i got an A at GCSE then got a D at AS but thats because i didn't put enough work in, i though because i could get an A with no revision at GCSE i could do the same at AS and i couldn't. however I'm retaking and by actually studying I'm not getting As and Bs in the past papers, but A2 is a killer.
Original post by Rajive
Really?

jup jup jup
Reply 16
Original post by aromasin
i personally struggle with it and i got an A at GCSE then got a D at AS but thats because i didn't put enough work in, i though because i could get an A with no revision at GCSE i could do the same at AS and i couldn't. however I'm retaking and by actually studying I'm not getting As and Bs in the past papers, but A2 is a killer.

Are you retaking all of your as exams?
Original post by Rajive

Depends on what modules you choose, I got a C at AS on an A* at GCSE because M1 is satan incarnate and dragged down my grades massively. Do tons of past papers
Reply 18
Original post by TercioOfParma
Depends on what modules you choose, I got a C at AS on an A* at GCSE because M1 is satan incarnate and dragged down my grades massively. Do tons of past papers

Yeah mechanics looks scary, I was thinking of doing stats or decision anyway.
Original post by Rajive
Yeah mechanics looks scary, I was thinking of doing stats or decision anyway.

I love decision, it's really easy and I actually somehow find it therapeutic. Either way, stay away from mechanics as it is by far the hardest set of modules

Quick Reply

Latest