The Student Room Group

How long is one week worth of work experience considered

Right so everyones asking for xxx weeks of work experience, now how much accounts for a week? is it a 3,4,5,7 day week and how many hours per day? 3,5,8 or 10?
I would say around 50 hours is a week. Like 7/8 hours per day for 7 days. Thats what my sister did for vet medicine but she volunteered/got work experience at a vet hospital for like 4 hours every saturday for like 3 years ( which is probably a bit excessive but oh well)
Reply 2
Original post by Sunshine2305
I would say around 50 hours is a week. Like 7/8 hours per day for 7 days. Thats what my sister did for vet medicine but she volunteered/got work experience at a vet hospital for like 4 hours every saturday for like 3 years ( which is probably a bit excessive but oh well)

how can you do that legally???
Original post by JL124251
Right so everyones asking for xxx weeks of work experience, now how much accounts for a week? is it a 3,4,5,7 day week and how many hours per day? 3,5,8 or 10?

The unis will tell you what they define as a week when filling out work exp questionnaires. Liverpool count a week as 5 days, one day being ~8hrs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Ok great thank you and I am not concerned about breaks etc it was more of the age legal side as nearly all the places I have been to have said I have had to be 18 (RSPCA) or 16 (this was when I was 14/15) as im very late in the year I will have had only a year between me turning 16 and applying for uni so for people to turn round and say ohh I have 10+ weeks work experience, I am finding it extremely hard to get any. A because of my age and B because of my location I live in East Anglia and any vets or suitable places are being used by university students from Cambridge and RVC. Will this be considered when I apply as work experience can be a determining factor!! :frown:
Ok great thank you and I am not concerned about breaks etc it was more of the age legal side as nearly all the places I have been to have said I have had to be 18 (RSPCA) or 16 (this was when I was 14/15) as im very late in the year I will have had only a year between me turning 16 and applying for uni so for people to turn round and say ohh I have 10+ weeks work experience, I am finding it extremely hard to get any. A because of my age and B because of my location I live in East Anglia and any vets or suitable places are being used by university students from Cambridge and RVC. Will this be considered when I apply as work experience can be a determining factor!! :frown:

I'm not sure really but i think as long as you have experience you will be fine!

My sister got the job/work experience by approaching a vet clinic and telling them about how she wanted to be a vet etc but she said she told them she would be willing to do anything to help out so she basically spent the first six months / year washing dishes/making tea/ doing the laundry/ cleaning pens and then gradually she started working with the animals and working with the nurses and then after like a year or so she was going into consults with the vets and they all knew her and trusted her so they let her do a lot and when they had vet students she was told to look after them. So maybe approach a vet practice and say you'll be willing to do anything/ help?

Also you could do lambing? My sister did lots of lambing on farms and stuff and that counts as experience! Also you could just work / help out on a farm maybe? My sis helped out at a dairy farm and she learnt a lot about farm animals and stuff and that really helped her in her interview! Good luck!!
Reply 6

There are lots of places who will allow you to gain work experience with them, it doesn't just have to be in a vets though you will have to see some practice.
Things such as lambing, milking on a dairy farm, local petting zoos or kennels, even helping out at a riding school all count towards husbandry placements.

Sadly you won't be excused from seeing practice with vets due to your age or location, most school-leaver applicants are the same age and seeing placement can be competitive. You would be best to write letters to the practice manager and take them in to your local vets. Have some dates ready when you are available as this usually helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending