The Student Room Group

Being single at 23 years old.

Hi people, I'm 23 years old and I have never been involved in a significant relationship with anybody. It hurts me a lot because I see all of my friends getting into serious relationships, getting married, having children, etc. Me, the only thing I've got is my work and school life in which I succeed and accomplish a lot of things but I just wish I had someone to share these successes with. I'm trying to shift my way of thinking. For those of you who are in serious long term relationships, what would you say to me? I'm tired of being sad over something I have zero control over.

Scroll to see replies

Dude, 23 is still so young. Most people these days actually don't get married and have kids until later in life. You shouldn't worry and try to rush this. It will come at the right time. Not everyone meets 'the one' at the same age. Take this time to focus on yourself and do things that make you happy. Once you can fully love yourself and find happiness within yourself can you truly offer love to anyone else.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi people, I'm 23 years old and I have never been involved in a significant relationship with anybody. It hurts me a lot because I see all of my friends getting into serious relationships, getting married, having children, etc. Me, the only thing I've got is my work and school life in which I succeed and accomplish a lot of things but I just wish I had someone to share these successes with. I'm trying to shift my way of thinking. For those of you who are in serious long term relationships, what would you say to me? I'm tired of being sad over something I have zero control over.

You have to ask yourself... is there something about you that putting off the other person? it might be something very simple that u can change.
In my experience the things that put me off were people with bad breath, the noise they make while they eat, talking too much, telling silly jokes, or sometimes even posting eccentric things on Facebook.

don't worry if you are single, one day your partner will just appear. I had some many dates with the wrong people before. I hope u have a better experience
Reply 3
Thanks. I think you are right, however, where I live, most people around my age are getting engaged, married, around my age. I try to focus on the things that make me happy and I do. But overtime I learn that someone else is having babies and getting married, after being happy for them, I just wonder where my turn will come to only be in a committed relationship (I don't want kids now.). It makes me depressed for several days every time more and more. It did not bother me as much in the past, but I literally spend 3-4 nights crying every week and have been for the past month. I just wonder if there is something wrong with me for not having any boy wanting to be in a relationship with me.
Reply 4
Original post by Flexchm
You have to ask yourself... is there something about you that putting off the other person? it might be something very simple that u can change.
In my experience the things that put me off were people with bad breath, the noise they make while they eat, talking too much, telling silly jokes, or sometimes even posting eccentric things on Facebook.

don't worry if you are single, one day your partner will just appear. I had some many dates with the wrong people before. I hope u have a better experience

I am being told that there is nothing that I do wrong. I'm a very accomplished person. I've had lots of dates but it just wasn't a good fit either for them or either for me. But I start thinking that maybe I am just not "lovable".
Reply 5

Have you tried a dating site?
Sad reflection on modern British society that people think it's an absolutely bad thing to have not had a relationship at 23, this isn't China you know!
Reply 7
I am being told that there is nothing that I do wrong. I'm a very accomplished person. I've had lots of dates but it just wasn't a good fit either for them or either for me. But I start thinking that maybe I am just not "lovable".

people never satisfied, when they come to date you they have the image in their head that you are going to be the prince on the horse with a charming beauty and sense of humour etc.. Just stop looking and concentrate on other things. one day you'll find it and it will be the best. If you believe in fate like me then you are going to meet someone very special one day and you'll be so happy about it.
Reply 8
Original post by M14B
Have you tried a dating site?

Yes, for the past 2-3 years. I gave that up.
Reply 9
Original post by Jammy Duel
Sad reflection on modern British society that people think it's an absolutely bad thing to have not had a relationship at 23, this isn't China you know!

I don't live in Britain.
If I'm honest I doubt I'd be in a relationship at 23. If I get into one before then, I'd be lucky! I don't think you should worry about too much.
Original post by SubZero~
If I'm honest I doubt I'd be in a relationship at 23. If I get into one before then, I'd be lucky! I don't think you should worry about too much.

Thank you.

I can relate to this a fair bit. All I can say is that you're getting dates, so you must be doing something right to garner some initial attraction. You haven't found the right person yet, granted, but your ability to get women interested in you is there. Keep at it, and don't be discouraged!
I don't live in Britain.

Do you live in what would be regarded as "the western world" (or the former Soviet union, or for that matter not Asia) because if so the point still stands, especially if male

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a woman lol
Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Jammy Duel
Do you live in what would be regarded as "the western world" (or the former Soviet union, or for that matter not Asia) because if so the point still stands, especially if male

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. I do get more and more these comments like "Why don't you have a boyfriend?" I even got asked if I was a lesbian at one point for being single for so long. I do feel pressure. But I prefer being on my own rather than being with someone who does not love me or that I do not love.
Thanks. I think you are right, however, where I live, most people around my age are getting engaged, married, around my age. I try to focus on the things that make me happy and I do. But overtime I learn that someone else is having babies and getting married, after being happy for them, I just wonder where my turn will come to only be in a committed relationship (I don't want kids now.). It makes me depressed for several days every time more and more. It did not bother me as much in the past, but I literally spend 3-4 nights crying every week and have been for the past month. I just wonder if there is something wrong with me for not having any boy wanting to be in a relationship with me.

Aww thats sad. have you worked out why you arent dating?
You need to look at all aspects and see which ones you can improve on. Dont forget a lot of them are going to be unsuitable so it aint all roses.
It might sound hard but being happy and confident in your own life will be a big plus and attractive whereas being ultra keen for a relationship might have some running, so get the balance right.
learn to network, flirt and make the most of yourself. be patient and there will be a lot of frogs.
Original post by 999tigger
Aww thats sad. have you worked out why you arent dating?
You need to look at all aspects and see which ones you can improve on. Dont forget a lot of them are going to be unsuitable so it aint all roses.
It might sound hard but being happy and confident in your own life will be a big plus and attractive whereas being ultra keen for a relationship might have some running, so get the balance right.
learn to network, flirt and make the most of yourself. be patient and there will be a lot of frogs.

I went on like twenty dates in the past 2-3 years and I don't want to date anymore because it hurts every time to be considered as no more than a sexual object. So I gave up.
People think I'm happy and confident on all aspects of my life. I do not show to most people that being single bothers me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending