The Student Room Group

would you feel angry if you knew someone that committed suicide?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deyesy
But surely having had those thoughts yourself; you must know how difficult it is to see good times when you're in that place mentally?

Yes, but you slog through it anyway
Reply 61
Original post by TercioOfParma
Yes, but you slog through it anyway

That viewpoint doesn't take into account individual differences - yes, you as a person might be able to slog through it but that doesn't mean another person, feeling similar things as you will feel as though they're able to?
Original post by Deyesy
That viewpoint doesn't take into account individual differences - yes, you as a person might be able to slog through it but that doesn't mean another person, feeling similar things as you will feel as though they're able to?

Well, then they are being cowardly. If they cannot resist the suicidal thoughts.
Well, then they are being cowardly. If they cannot resist the suicidal thoughts.

Suicide isn't cowardly and neither are suicidal thoughts. Tbh suicide must be the scariest thing you can do so to actually go through with it is brave (if very sad and upsetting) in my opinion. Not encouraging it of course in anyway shape of form but you shouldn't just wash over people's feelings like that
Reply 64

How does this make them cowardly? Again; suicidal thoughts (as I thought you'd know) aren't always easy to just ignore
Reply 65
I disagree with anyone who says that suicide is cowardly.

I think those who take their own lives fool themselves into believing that there is no other alternative, no light at the end of the tunnel. :frown:
Original post by Deyesy
How does this make them cowardly? Again; suicidal thoughts (as I thought you'd know) aren't always easy to just ignore

Because they allow the irrationailty of the mind take over their body

Original post by Anonymous
Suicide isn't cowardly and neither are suicidal thoughts. Tbh suicide must be the scariest thing you can do so to actually go through with it is brave (if very sad and upsetting) in my opinion. Not encouraging it of course in anyway shape of form but you shouldn't just wash over people's feelings like that

I think holocaust survivors probably went through worse than suicide

I think holocaust survivors probably went through worse than suicide

and your point? both are awful but incomparable to each other. problems are relative, to someone something seemingly minor might be huge to them and even to them worth ending their life. that is just as valid as something very horrific like the holocaust
and your point? both are awful but incomparable to each other. problems are relative, to someone something seemingly minor might be huge to them and even to them worth ending their life. that is just as valid as something very horrific like the holocaust

No problems are somewhat absolute. Stubbing your toe on a table is different from being gassed.
Reply 69
Because they allow the irrationailty of the mind take over their body

But again; this is very easy to say when you're thinking rationally. It's very easy for me to say when thinking rationally but you know as well as I do; that when you're in that place, suicide becomes very rational
Original post by Deyesy
But again; this is very easy to say when you're thinking rationally. It's very easy for me to say when thinking rationally but you know as well as I do; that when you're in that place, suicide becomes very rational

Well, then surely a person should be able to stop themselves reaching that point by their will? I was able to.
Reply 71
Well, then surely a person should be able to stop themselves reaching that point by their will? I was able to.

I go back to the 'individual differences' thing; just because you or I were able to, doesn't mean every other single person will be able to? You make this seem all very easy and simplistic by saying someone should be able to stop themselves reaching that point :/
Reply 72
Not angry at the suicide, angry that they refused endless offers of help. I know that's wrong but feelings are irrational.
Original post by Deyesy
I go back to the 'individual differences' thing; just because you or I were able to, doesn't mean every other single person will be able to? You make this seem all very easy and simplistic by saying someone should be able to stop themselves reaching that point :/

Then surely their inability to do that demonstrates a lack of will, and thus cowardice?
Knowing me, I would likely blame myself tbh.
No problems are somewhat absolute. Stubbing your toe on a table is different from being gassed.

Noone is going to kill themselves over something so minor though and i think you know that...
say someone lost their job, yeah compared to 'being gassed' you could say that is somewhat minor but it would completely obliterate their world to the point of killing themselves then it was obviously hugely important to them and that should be respected. you can't talk for all problems as noone has ever experienced all issues in life
Noone is going to kill themselves over something so minor though and i think you know that...
say someone lost their job, yeah compared to 'being gassed' you could say that is somewhat minor but it would completely obliterate their world to the point of killing themselves then it was obviously hugely important to them and that should be respected. you can't talk for all problems as noone has ever experienced all issues in life

Then why claim that problems are relative then when I have provided a reason where they are not?

Yes, and I would say that somebody who kills themselves over something like that demonstrates a lack of will.
Reply 77
Then surely their inability to do that demonstrates a lack of will, and thus cowardice?

I don't think you're taking into account how powerful suicidal ideations are and you're also suggesting that you can just press a button to stop yourself feeling this way - by saying people should be able to stop themselves
Original post by Deyesy
I don't think you're taking into account how powerful suicidal ideations are and you're also suggesting that you can just press a button to stop yourself feeling this way - by saying people should be able to stop themselves

I know how powerful feelings are, but as I said, you resist regardless. Where do I suggest you can stop the feeling? You persist, thats the whole point of will.

You've obviously never had any experience with a mental illness. That's fine and dandy - but it also means that you're not able to empathise with suicidal people. It's understandable though that some people won't "get" it due to never having experienced it. Most people who attempt, or worse, complete suicide are people who have been through suicidal thoughts for months or years. It doesn't go away in a day like in your case.

Quick Reply

Latest