The Student Room Group

would you feel angry if you knew someone that committed suicide?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spock's Socks
I lost one of my close friend's to suicide a few years ago and its natural to feel a whole range of emotions and yes, anger was one that I felt but the overwhelming feelings were more shock and heartbreak but you feel pretty much every emotion under the sun after something like that happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so sorry you had to go through that :frown:
Original post by TercioOfParma
They're dead in the end regardless, I think it would likely be worth it since It could be enough to make some reconsider, and ultimately we want to help people and save lives.

I can see how making it illegal would look like a good idea. If people think that they will be punished for something they won't want to do it right? But people who are in that position aren't going to be detered by law. Not the vast majority anyway.
To go through with commiting suicide you are making a decision that will entirely remove you from the world. You're deciding that being alive is so painful that you don't think you have reason to stay. Nothing in the world is worth you enduring this pain anymore. If you are at that point you aren't going to care if it is illegal becaus you won't be around to face the consiquences and if you were you still wouldn't care because nothing could be worse than the pain you feel right now.

Leading up to that point you are making people who are having these thoughts scared that if they tell anybody they will be judged as a criminal. They are suffering and need to feel like they can reach out for support and that fear will not help.

Anyway what sort of punishment could you really give for that? Death sentence? That's what it used to be- pretty ironic. A fine to add to the stress they already have?

People who are a risk to themselves can already be sectioned and taken to hospital against their will. So in a way you can think of it like sending them to prison, but without the criminal label. That often scares people enough, but it doesn't scare them into getting help- it scares them into hiding because they don't want that to happen. Sectioning is something that has to exist and does actually help people, but it's got such a fear attached to it that it also indirectly does harm. Imagine what it would do if you were actually branded a criminal too. And remember that once you are a criminal you are dealing with police not hospitals. You're not getting the treatment you need and just having more suffering added to your stack of unbarable pain.

Now think about what it would do to those left behind. You're already destraught because your child is dead but not they're being branded as a criminal too. You can't open up to people about what happened because if you do they will think of them as a criminal too and you don't want them to have that stigma too after all that has happened. You want them to be remembered for who they were, not as a criminal.

People who are suicidal aren't thinking about it logically like you are trying to, they're trying to find a way to finally make all the pain go away so they don't have to hurt anymore. They're so desperate that they are willing to end everyting and you'd be adding more potential pain to the option of staying. That law and stigma would become just another thing they are trying to get away from. Making suicide illegal would do far more harm than good. For every one person it saved it would kill far more.
I wouldn't say angry, maybe disappointed and depending on the relationship with them possibly upset, but unlikely to be angry unless they were really close.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Well, making it a shameful act during the mediaeval age seemed to deter people very strongly, and they suffered through far worse hardships on average than people in the west do now.

You have a point there. I currently live in a Third World country and it's very similar as mental health over here is terribly neglected and suicide is seen as a massive no-no and this huge shame for the individual's family to carry.

However less people commiting suicide doesn't equate to happier people. It just means more people with mental health issues living miserable lives in silence. Is that what you view as a successful society?
Original post by Kindred
I can see how making it illegal would look like a good idea. If people think that they will be punished for something they won't want to do it right? But people who are in that position aren't going to be detered by law. Not the vast majority anyway.
To go through with commiting suicide you are making a decision that will entirely remove you from the world. You're deciding that being alive is so painful that you don't think you have reason to stay. Nothing in the world is worth you enduring this pain anymore. If you are at that point you aren't going to care if it is illegal becaus you won't be around to face the consiquences and if you were you still wouldn't care because nothing could be worse than the pain you feel right now.

Leading up to that point you are making people who are having these thoughts scared that if they tell anybody they will be judged as a criminal. They are suffering and need to feel like they can reach out for support and that fear will not help.

Anyway what sort of punishment could you really give for that? Death sentence? That's what it used to be- pretty ironic. A fine to add to the stress they already have?

People who are a risk to themselves can already be sectioned and taken to hospital against their will. So in a way you can think of it like sending them to prison, but without the criminal label. That often scares people enough, but it doesn't scare them into getting help- it scares them into hiding because they don't want that to happen. Sectioning is something that has to exist and does actually help people, but it's got such a fear attached to it that it also indirectly does harm. Imagine what it would do if you were actually branded a criminal too. And remember that once you are a criminal you are dealing with police not hospitals. You're not getting the treatment you need and just having more suffering added to your stack of unbarable pain.

Now think about what it would do to those left behind. You're already destraught because your child is dead but not they're being branded as a criminal too. You can't open up to people about what happened because if you do they will think of them as a criminal too and you don't want them to have that stigma too after all that has happened. You want them to be remembered for who they were, not as a criminal.

People who are suicidal aren't thinking about it logically like you are trying to, they're trying to find a way to finally make all the pain go away so they don't have to hurt anymore. They're so desperate that they are willing to end everyting and you'd be adding more potential pain to the option of staying. That law and stigma would become just another thing they are trying to get away from. Making suicide illegal would do far more harm than good. For every one person it saved it would kill far more.

Preach sister :u:
Original post by bwv1007
mods plz bring back negs

hahahahhahaha
I think people need to understand that getting help isn't easy. Once you get past the stigma surrounding mental illness and suicidal thoughts (which stop a lot of people seeking help) and go to see a GP there's little they can do because mental health services are seriously underfunded. I think about suicide every day, I consider methods and I've attempted three times. But when I tell my GP all this he tells me there's nothing he can do except give me meds that don't work. I WANT to get better. But that doesn't mean I instantly get better.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I think people need to understand that getting help isn't easy. Once you get past the stigma surrounding mental illness and suicidal thoughts (which stop a lot of people seeking help) and go to see a GP there's little they can do because mental health services are seriously underfunded. I think about suicide every day, I consider methods and I've attempted three times. But when I tell my GP all this he tells me there's nothing he can do except give me meds that don't work. I WANT to get better. But that doesn't mean I instantly get better.

You are so right! Most people who want to help you either can't or don't know how to. Educating everybody and funding is a major part of helping people with any mh problem. It can't just be hidden away and ignored.
Real shame meds aren't helping you. Have you tried different types? Is there no way you could get therapy? Have you been refered to a psychiatrist or anybody in the MH sector? Don't give up. You will find the right help eventually so just try your best to fight it off until then. I know there are lods of charities out there. I'm not sure exactly what they do but maybe one of them could help you out?
I'd be a lot more upset than angry.
Original post by Kindred
You are so right! Most people who want to help you either can't or don't know how to. Educating everybody and funding is a major part of helping people with any mh problem. It can't just be hidden away and ignored.
Real shame meds aren't helping you. Have you tried different types? Is there no way you could get therapy? Have you been refered to a psychiatrist or anybody in the MH sector? Don't give up. You will find the right help eventually so just try your best to fight it off until then. I know there are lods of charities out there. I'm not sure exactly what they do but maybe one of them could help you out?

I have considered everything that the NHS can fund. And tried a lot of it.
Original post by Deyesy
I just want to say that suicide isn't a selfish act; nor is it cowardly. To be in that place and for the emotional pain you're feeling to be that strong that you feel like death is the only way to escape that pain; isn't cowardly.

^^^^ I couldn't agree more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SmallTownGirl

Yeah, the NHS is atrocious for mental health.

On topic though I'd probably be sad and angry depending on who it was, but I don't think suicide is selfish. I really hate when people say it is, because it just makes people at the lowest point in their lives feel even worse about themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest