The Student Room Group

Desktop and/or laptop? Which one?

I've read through dozens of laptop/netbook/macbook recommendations on here now but I'm still no closer to deciding what I need for University.
I'm starting uni this September and I currently own a laptop that's huge, hard to lug around (especially because I use a cane quite often and only have one hand free lol) and it's also kind of terrible.

My friend suggested I get both a small, easily portable, and cheap laptop that I can bring to lectures and take with me wherever else I go (I like working/writing at cafés or in the library for example) and a desktop PC that I can use for everything else (watching movies, editing stuff, drawing with my tablet, photoshop, etc).

What do you guys think? Just a laptop? Just desktop? Both? At home I mainly use my laptop without ever moving it but I think that could change at uni. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I won't need. Do you use a laptop for notetaking during lectures, etc?
I'm gonna study Film and Theatre btw

Scroll to see replies

Your friends idea is best idea.
Reply 2
Original post by RezzBerry
Your friends idea is best idea.

Thought so... Do you have any recommendations for ultaportable netbooks that don't break the bank?
Original post by froschlieb
I've read through dozens of laptop/netbook/macbook recommendations on here now but I'm still no closer to deciding what I need for University.
I'm starting uni this September and I currently own a laptop that's huge, hard to lug around (especially because I use a cane quite often and only have one hand free lol) and it's also kind of terrible.

My friend suggested I get both a small, easily portable, and cheap laptop that I can bring to lectures and take with me wherever else I go (I like working/writing at cafés or in the library for example) and a desktop PC that I can use for everything else (watching movies, editing stuff, drawing with my tablet, photoshop, etc).

What do you guys think? Just a laptop? Just desktop? Both? At home I mainly use my laptop without ever moving it but I think that could change at uni. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I won't need. Do you use a laptop for notetaking during lectures, etc?

Your friend's idea sounds like the way to go. A laptop will do most of what you want probably, whilst being more portable. Obviously, a good computer can hold a lot more but a lot more 'planted.'

I started uni taking notes on my laptop then stopped as the information does not go in your head when typing. I think an laptop would be probably best, although I have a computer atm and hardly ever use my laptop now and I am doing an ICT degree.

a 15 inch, PC, around £300 - £400 is what I would have bought
Try a chromebook for the cheap take around laptop. I use it for lecture notes and swear by it,
Stay away from 5200rpm Hard drives, try get an SSD or a 7200rpm Hard drive. If you can get a core i3 cpu or above. That being said a decent Chromebook with an SSD and atom cpu may suit your fancy as they are basic and do word processing and web browsing effortlessly. As for desktops, don't go for the likes of alienware or PCworld, go online and do your research, If you need help I'd love to help over DM!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I think the best thing to do is to purchase an ultrabook. It's light, fast and powerful too(depending on which brand an type you go for). Why'd you want to spend on a desktop? I suggest you do everything you need on the ultrabook. Thing is, since ultrabooks(most of them) use SSDs, you might run out of space over time.

Another option you could explore would be to buy a powerful yet easily portable laptop. You could use it for university tasks as well as run demanding softwares on it. :yy:
Chromebook and see how you get on. they are very cheap second hand and you cna always resell it. You will know what you need within a few weeks of uni and then purchase accordingly. The way you describe yur workstyle then some form of laptop is what you need. When you go to uni you cna look around and see whether its a macbook, suface, chromebook etc that might fit the bill.

I prefer desktops, but then I like to game and appreciate the power, reliability and cost effectiveness.
I run a chromebook and self-build desktop so it covers the full range of work plus some gaming.
If you're getting a good desktop then a Chromebook should be enough.
iv got an acer aspire switch. its a laptop but the screen detatches and turns into a tablet
On the expensive side, but a 13 inch macbook pro will last like 6 years, and has the retina display for the film side of things too. Use mine for everything. If you're looking for something cheaper, then theres always the Air, but of course no retina on that.
Reply 14
Thanks for all the replies! I'm looking into desktops now, and the chromebook does sound good!
Reply 15
Original post by bluepennant
I run a chromebook and self-build desktop so it covers the full range of work plus some gaming.

I've heard that the chromebook is useless offline, is that true? :redface:
Original post by Elliot_97
On the expensive side, but a 13 inch macbook pro will last like 6 years, and has the retina display for the film side of things too. Use mine for everything. If you're looking for something cheaper, then theres always the Air, but of course no retina on that.

MacBooks are overpriced and under powered, If you want the Mac Experience on PC you could investigate hackintosh's ( www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh ) or install Linux Ubuntu/Mint with or instead of Windows.

For the price of a MacBook you can get a Asus ROG gaming laptop capable of playing the newest games @ FullHD and the retina struggles with games that aren't very demanding.

td;lr Buy a normal non Mac laptop and put Ubuntu or Mint or OSX (Hackintosh) on it or buy a High spec windows Laptop
Original post by MattFraks
MacBooks are overpriced and under powered, If you want the Mac Experience on PC you could investigate hackintosh's ( www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh ) or install Linux Ubuntu/Mint with or instead of Windows.

For the price of a MacBook you can get a Asus ROG gaming laptop capable of playing the newest games @ FullHD and the retina struggles with games that aren't very demanding.

td;lr Buy a normal non Mac laptop and put Ubuntu or Mint or OSX (Hackintosh) on it or buy a High spec windows Laptop

Mine works fine for me :smile: . I suppose its personal preference though; i will never use it for gaming, mainly college (and later uni) work. I had other apple stuff so it made sense to get a mac for that reason too, but i appreciate your point that it would not make a good gaming laptop. Unless you were willing to spend nearly £1500 on the top spec 15 inch one haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending