The Student Room Group

The EU Out Campaign really amounts to Gove, Duncan-Smith and Norfolk

Interesting map from YouGov today showing where the Out votes are concentrated geographically.

It would appear that so far the likes of Michael Gove, Ian Duncan-Smith and other assorted right wing headbangers and morons (I'll raise you a Farage for your Hannan) have only succeeded in persuading E. Anglia and Essex that Leaving is the right way to go.

What a surprise. :rolleyes:

I feel really bloody annoyed that we are going to have to put up with another two months of their blather for absolutely no benefit to anyone except a few Tory and UKIP battered egos, serving a definitely minority opinion. Even then they won't give up of course. :angry:

I assume this will soon become another Neverendum, like the one in Scotland. It shouldn't even be a national referendum - weak leadership by the Tories.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

They are densely populated areas (bar London), no? So they have targetted densely populated constituencies - which is what happens in every "election"...

The lighter shades seems to me more sparsely populated
Original post by chemting
They are densely populated areas (bar London), no? So they have targetted densely populated constituencies - which is what happens in every "election"...

The lighter shades seems to me more sparsely populated

It's the reverse. London is mainly voting In and E. Anglia is mainly thinly populated and rural.

One of the most aggravating things about the current round of political distraction from the economic situation is that the agenda is being driven by places like Essex which are grossly unrepresentative of the country as a whole. Basically it's the reactionaries serving up racism as a tool to manipulate us into permanent Tory government. If there's an Out vote then Scotland will leave the union and Tory Government Eternal becomes a reality. :eek4:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's the reverse. London is mainly voting In and E. Anglia is mainly thinly populated and rural.

Ahh, I seem to have been mistaken. London was the exception anyway. My stupid head matched constituency size with population density...

(or maybe I was looking at this map, very similar)

One of the most aggravating things about the current round of political distraction from the economic situation is that the agenda is being driven by places like Essex which are grossly unrepresentative of the country as a whole. Basically it's the reactionaries serving up racism as a tool to manipulate us into permanent Tory government. If there's an Out vote then Scotland will leave the union and Tory Government Eternal becomes a reality. :eek4:

Yes, it would've been Tory's wet dream (if one ignores what David Cameron was saying) if Scotland left...

Though I wouldn't say all Tories though, there is a rift on this - its clear if we stay in the party would be split wide open after Dave... much like how Labour is now.

I think its wrong to call it all "right-wing reactionary", there are a lot of people on the left (generally) who support the out campaign...
Reply 4
Even if this referendum doesn't pass the damage is done, it's too late. You'll get one half of the country unsatisfied with the result and they won't just slink away. In fact there could be revolts on the street.

Also, don't forget BodJob. He's going to decapitate Cameron with a flying fez if he doesn't win. Actually that's the plot of the next Bond film.
(edited 8 years ago)

Even by your standards, this is paranoid nonsense.

The jump from "wanting to leave the EU" to "reactionary racists" is absurd.
Reply 6
Original post by tengentoppa

But then anyone not agreeing with her is a racist- pure and simple.
It would be interesting if there was any bias in this (e.g. shy tory bias where people don't say they vote tory but still do), but if there is I'm not sure which way it'd go.
At uni I would definitely think twice before mentioning my concerns with immigration/uncontrolled entrance of "refugees" into Europe/lack of sympathy for those at Calais, but on some online forums (e.g. bbc's hys section) I would think twice before mentioning my positive opinions on the EU (e.g. the econonic and legal benefits).

As someone has already said, I personally think it'll be very close, like 45:55 at least, meaning almost half the country will be disappointed by the result. How do you repair a split country, and repair our relationship with Europe either way? If we vote to stay, Europe will stops accepting our demands for special treatment, furtherinb tue animosity a lot of Brits feel towards the EU, if we go, I can see those within the EU dragging out any trade deals as a screw you for leaving
Original post by novaforma
Even if this referendum doesn't pass the damage is done, it's too late. You'll get one half of the country unsatisfied with the result and they won't just slink away. In fact there could be revolts on the street.

Also, don't forget BodJob. He's going to decapitate Cameron with a flying fez if he doesn't win. Actually that's the plot of the next Bond film.

It isn't half the country - it's probably about a third, if that. I think the Out vote is currently being over polled and the final result will be at least 60:40 and possibly 70:30 in favour of In.
Original post by tengentoppa

Not really, all of the leading Brexiteers constantly harp on about immigration, which is a subtitle in this country for race and a push-button for reaction.

They ignore the obvious, which is that mass inward migration will be equally difficult to control outside the EU, not least because the French will be even less cooperative about things than they currently (grudgingly) are.
The leave campaign has every right to campaign to leave where ever you argee or not ..... Stop this right wing , Tory , UKIP bashing

I feel really bloody annoyed that we are going to have to put up with another two months of their blather for absolutely no benefit to anyone except a few Tory and UKIP battered egos, serving a definitely minority opinion. Even then they won't give up of course. :angry:

Well this is democracy...?

Do you think we should have to put up with listening to the likes of the Green party when elections come round when they only serve a minority opinion?
A week is a long time in politics, and all could change between now and 23 June. I want to remain in the EU and the case must continue to be put.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Well this is democracy...?

Do you think we should have to put up with listening to the likes of the Green party when elections come round when they only serve a minority opinion?

National referendums should only take place where there is a pressing national need and a general consensus, or at least a debate in which the entire country is involved.

This is something where there is no pressing national emergency and in addition, it is a minority issue and essentially an internal one between people on the right. There is huge disengagement from it in the population at large and most people are already fed up of the campaign as it doesn't touch a key issue for them.

I realise it's a bit late to moan about the existence of the campaign, but it has **** all to do with democracy. I do feel pretty angry that I am being dragged to the polls to either keep Dave in the job to which he has become accustomed or else help Gove elect Boris. Bloody hell.

:rofl:

That would have been so much more effective!
:rofl:

That would have been so much more effective!

It does seem in poor taste. Here are some unpopular politicians. They have the opposing view. This is why you should make this decision.
(edited 8 years ago)
Great stuff, I hope they keep up the good work.
This is bad... I'm just looking at that map trying to figure out where the hell I live. And I did geography up to AS!
Reply 18
Interesting map from YouGov today showing where the Out votes are concentrated geographically.

It would appear that so far the likes of Michael Gove, Ian Duncan-Smith and other assorted right wing headbangers and morons (I'll raise you a Farage for your Hannan) have only succeeded in persuading E. Anglia and Essex that Leaving is the right way to go.

What a surprise. :rolleyes:

I assume this will soon become another Neverendum, like the one in Scotland. It shouldn't even be a national referendum - weak leadership by the Tories.

So, the most eurosceptic votes are in the most industrialised regions, the areas with the higest amount of educated people.. so the most forwarder regions of the UK.

THe most europhilic are multicultural hellholes with high amouth of islamists. Nice that we established this fact.
Reply 19

This does not contradicts anything what I said. The most industrialised regions of UK are the most eurosceptic. I am not speaking about UKIP, Torries and so on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending