The Student Room Group

The EU Out Campaign really amounts to Gove, Duncan-Smith and Norfolk

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slaven
So, the most eurosceptic votes are in the most industrialised regions, the areas with the higest amount of educated people.. so the most forwarder regions of the UK.

THe most europhilic are multicultural hellholes with high amouth of islamists. Nice that we established this fact.

Again, it's actually the reverse. Districts that have the highest numbers of graduates are very much on the Remain camp. Whole swathes of middle class London for example which are hardly (as you put it in a racist way) "multicultural hellholes". Cambridgeshire and Oxfordshire both look decisively Remain, as does leafy Cheshire.
Reply 21
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Again, it's actually the reverse. Districts that have the highest numbers of graduates are very much on the Remain camp. Whole swathes of middle class London for example which are hardly (as you put it in a racist way) "multicultural hellholes". Cambridgeshire and Oxfordshire both look decisively Remain, as does leafy Cheshire.

London has the highest amount of islamic terriorists in Europe. Of course such pleaces will be more pro-EU. And the names you places together with London has less criminal activities than the europhile areas. East Anglia has industry unlike most of London.
Original post by slaven
London has the highest amount of islamic terriorists in Europe. Of course such pleaces will be more pro-EU. And the names you places together with London has less criminal activities than the europhile areas. East Anglia has industry unlike most of London.

Middle class suburbs like Richmond and Kingston, which are clearly shown on the map as strongly Remain, are hotbeds of Islamic terrorism? Lulz.
I think the Out vote is currently being over polled

I found a couple of quotes from you expressing scepticism about the polling before last year's general election.

I think Labour will do better than some of the polls are suggesting.

All the polls are assuring us that it will be a total wipeout of Labour [in Scotland]. Like you, I am sceptical.
Reply 24
Original post by chemting
Ahh, I seem to have been mistaken. London was the exception anyway. My stupid head matched constituency size with population density...

(or maybe I was looking at this map, very similar)

Bird brains vote Out?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I found a couple of quotes from you expressing scepticism about the polling before last year's general election.

Yeah, I was wrong about Scotland in the general, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong about this - besides, I'm better at referendums than generals.
Original post by jneill
Bird brains vote Out?

I thought it was a map of Lib Dims, till I looked at the caption.
Yeah, I was wrong about Scotland in the general, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong about this - besides, I'm better at referendums than generals.

No, it doesn't.

It does make me wonder whether there's an element of wishful thinking at play, though.

Not that I necessarily wish any differently. I'm still on the Brence.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
No, it doesn't.

It does make me wonder whether there's an element of wishful thinking at play, though.

Not that I necessarily wish any differently. I'm still on the Brence.

I'm looking at the current polls and extrapolating what I think will be the outcome based on informed guesswork and personal hunches.

Same method as the newspapers.
It isn't half the country - it's probably about a third, if that. I think the Out vote is currently being over polled and the final result will be at least 60:40 and possibly 70:30 in favour of In.

And what's your reason for believing this? I can't see much reason to believe there is polling bias towards the out vote. Or perhaps is it because you are worried the out campaign is polling well, and want to believe the polls are wrong?

Original post by barnetlad
A week is a long time in politics, and all could change between now and 23 June. I want to remain in the EU and the case must continue to be put.

This is very, VERY true! Last summer during the height of the migrant crisis I went on a hiking trip for the week (with little to no Internet access). At some point whilst I was on the trip the pictures emerged of the dead baby migrant on the shore which changed public opinion in a second. Such a bizarre, surreal situation, leaving on the Monday with eveyone hating refugees, only to come back on the Friday and every person and newspaper talking about the poor refugees and how we needed to save them all! Having not seen a newspaper or read a news article all week, I was completely stumped as to why everyone was suddenly so pro refugee!
Public opinion can completely change in the space of a week. And that will help the out campaign more than the in campaign. If there's another terrorist attack in Europe, that'll push more people out. And the referendum will be at a time when migrants start the journey to Europe at the start of summer again, which could easily push public opinion in the out votes favour.
Reply 30
Middle class suburbs like Richmond and Kingston, which are clearly shown on the map as strongly Remain, are hotbeds of Islamic terrorism? Lulz.

The two are not representative of London. There is also Woolwich, Chelsea and on.
Original post by leinad2012
And what's your reason for believing this? I can't see much reason to believe there is polling bias towards the out vote. Or perhaps is it because you are worried the out campaign is polling well, and want to believe the polls are wrong?

Well it wouldn't be that, would it, because the polls are tilting strongly towards Remain right now.
The OP has an important point. Who on the Leave side is speaking to the large section of the country who instinctively dislike Gove, IDS, Johnson and Farage?

It is very easy to treat middle aged white Conservative males as representing the archetypical person with everyone else being in some way a departure from this norm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Bird brains vote Out?

These damn immigrant birds coming in here taking our migration patterns. They are eating our breadcrumbs, and creating a severe shortage of birdhouses.
These damn immigrant birds is the cause of long queues at the vet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it wouldn't be that, would it, because the polls are tilting strongly towards Remain right now.

I'm very much undecided, but that is utter rubbish.

Most polls have the in campaign having a 5 point lead, 10 at most but with 7% undecided.

I've not seen one recent poll with in at over 55%, so its hardly a "strong" lead, its a marginal one.

http://whatukthinks.org/eu/opinion-polls/poll-of-polls/
Original post by slaven
So, the most eurosceptic votes are in the most industrialised regions, the areas with the higest amount of educated people.. so the most forwarder regions of the UK.

THe most europhilic are multicultural hellholes with high amouth of islamists. Nice that we established this fact.

Lincs and Norfolk??!

Just trying to digest the idiocy here...

What has the EU got to do with Islamism?

The reason the east is voting Out is because of 1. the North Sea fishing towns who the EU makes throw back half their catch to prevent overfishing, and 2. people annoyed that farmers, themselves on EU handouts, are hiring fruit pickers for a pittance from the 2004 East European countries.

They are proud Saxons and never did like paying that Danegeld
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by scrotgrot
Lincs and Norfolk??!

Just trying to digest the idiocy here...

What has the EU got to do with Islamism?

The reason the east is voting Out is because of 1. the North Sea fishing towns who the EU makes throw back half their catch to prevent overfishing, and 2. people annoyed that farmers, themselves on EU handouts, are hiring fruit pickers for a pittance from the 2004 East European countries.

They are proud Saxons and never did like paying that Danegeld

I agree with your analysis, but isn't it more a case of people wanting their cake and eat it? The cheap fruit and veg goes down well in the shops, but people don't like to accept that picking it requires large numbers of cheap young foreign workers, working in conditions they would not accept. Averting their gaze from these issues, the good right wing citizens of E. Anglia complete their hypocrisy and callous swagger by constantly dissing the young migrants who make their lifestyle just a bit easier, giving their votes to posturing toads like Farage and Duncan Smith, who in reality don't give a damn for the white working class of Essex and Norfolk.

It's disgusting stuff when you get close and analyse it. I don't know how intelligent people like Gove can sleep nights as they use this nasty reactionary anger to serve their own private careerist aims.
Original post by chemting
These damn immigrant birds coming in here taking our migration patterns. They are eating our breadcrumbs, and creating a severe shortage of birdhouses.
These damn immigrant birds is the cause of long queues at the vet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, we don't need those scummy foreign birds, we have good decent British robins, parrots, cockatoos and Canada Geese to keep us happy.
Original post by slaven
I live in East Anglia and I can assure you that it is far from 'industrialised' and has a worrying dearth of 'educated people'.
I'm a Londoner who's voting out. Are there any ethnic minorities wanting to voting out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending