The Student Room Group

What were Morrison's thinking ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
Many won't, but many will.

I don't - but only because I know that any halal meat I am likely to encounter, Nando's, KFC, etc, has been pre-stunned. The 15% that is not stunned is almost exclusively destined for the hard-line customers, for private use. Your average kebab shop won't be using it - and stunning is the only issue I have with it. I won't eat kosher meat because none of that is stunned.

Sikhs and Hindus cannot eat meat that has been ritually slaughtered, so it is totally off limits for them. (Interpretations vary on this)

Yeah true :smile:
Original post by JezWeCan!
Some aspects of your religion are worthy of respect, others are not.

Halal slaughter is one of the things which isn't because slitting an animals throat and letting it bleed to death is more cruel than stunning so it is insensate whilst being killed. Although that isn't great either, I accept that. My aunt used to inspect abattoirs as a vet and it turned her into a lifelong vegetarian.

You don't live in a Muslim country so criticism of your methods of slaughter on animal welfare grounds is perfectly acceptable. You are going to have to get used to that, I am afraid.

So if you find criticism of halal slaughter on moral ethical grounds "disrespectful" of your religion that is too bad, sorry. I feel exactly the same way about Kosher food and Judaism, as it goes.

We have moved on from the time the Bible and Koran were written and animal welfare is one of the things these "holy books" written in more primitive epochs don't take account of.

Even Jesus Christ wasn't very nice to the Gadarene Swine...

"And there was there an herd of many swine feeding on the mountain: and they besought him that he would suffer them to enter into them. And he suffered them.

Then went the devils out of the man, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the lake, and were choked."

Luke 8: 32-33.

You can't get away with that kind of stuff nowadays... :smile:

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
(The meat where the animal is inhumanely and savagely slaughtered in immense distress and pain)

Absolutely false. Educate yourself on this matter first then come talk about it. Stop embarrassing the rest of us.

Even more concerning is the number of thumbs up. Country inhabited by sheep.
Original post by banterboy
that was a bit different

In what way exactly?
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Ok i used it.

Religious slaughter

Slaughter without pre-stunning (for religious purposes) We're opposed to the slaughter of any animal without first ensuring it is rendered insensible to pain and distress.
We recognise that religious beliefs and practices should be respected. However, we also believe animals should be slaughtered under the most humane conditions possible. Evidence clearly indicates that slaughter without pre-stunning can cause unnecessary suffering.
What is religious slaughter?In the UK, Jewish and Muslim communities are exempt from legal requirements to stun animals before slaughter. Shechita (Jewish) and Halal (Muslim) slaughter methods involve cutting the animal’s throat with a very sharp knife, often without pre-stunning. There are different interpretations of the religious laws on slaughter within both communities.

SOURCE RSPCA -

http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/farm/slaughter/religiousslaughter

Did i do the internet right sweetheart?

The key word was 'sharp knife'.
Some people here are mistaking a simple method to hacking off a sheep's head with a blunt weapon.
Original post by SalmaSalma
In what way exactly?

Are you seriously asking why huge amounts of packaged meat from another country being imported into the UK being fraudulent is different to one minimum wage worker picking up the wrong bag?
Original post by QE2
No they don't.

how? i think muslims are not terrorists and that Islam is less violent than people and you believe the opposite- maybe i used the wrong wording idk

:lies: couldnt find a good enough emoji thing(what are they even called) but i think this will suffice aha

now you dont scare me as much :smile:
Reply 168
Original post by Sabby888
Absolutely false. Educate yourself on this matter first then come talk about it. Stop embarrassing the rest of us.

Even more concerning is the number of thumbs up. Country inhabited by sheep.
All studies show that non-stunned animals suffer increased distress and pain during the bleed-out period (varies between several seconds and two minutes, depending on the animal how it is cut). All vetenary and animal welfare bodies agree on this.
Reply 169
Original post by SalmaSalma
The key word was 'sharp knife'.
Some people here are mistaking a simple method to hacking off a sheep's head with a blunt weapon.
So you'd be fine with having your throut cut while fully conscious, as long as the knife was sharp.
Reply 170
Original post by sfaraj
how? i think muslims are not terrorists and that Islam is less violent than people and you believe the opposite- maybe i used the wrong wording idk
It was a joke.
"You always contradict me"
"No I don't"
:getmecoat:
Reply 171
Original post by sfaraj
:lies: couldnt find a good enough emoji thing(what are they even called) but i think this will suffice aha

now you dont scare me as much :smile:
It just sounded like you needed a hug.
Original post by QE2
It was a joke.
"You always contradict me"
"No I don't"
:getmecoat:

was it actually! aha
anyway night
Original post by QE2
It just sounded like you needed a hug.

well then i shall return the hug- hug for a hug :smile: :hugs:
aha cute tho thankssss
Original post by zXcodeXz
Eating pork if your a Muslim?

How ought one to quantify such a loss? Perhaps on the grounds of emotional distress or the like. :moon:
Original post by QE2
All studies show that non-stunned animals suffer increased distress and pain during the bleed-out period (varies between several seconds and two minutes, depending on the animal how it is cut). All vetenary and animal welfare bodies agree on this.

"Depending on how the animal is cut"?! Do you people just come on here preaching without any knowledge whatsoever of what you're talking about? I feel like I'm the only one that's done my research? :frown:

There is only one way the animal is cut. The halal method is to use a sharp knife, quickly slit the throat so that no pain is felt. The animal dies within seconds. Not only that, but it's required by Islamic law that the animal be treated extremely well during its life. It is completely forbidden to mistreat it, cause it any pain. Plus it's required it has to be provided with clean water and food, space for it to roam free, and fresh air.

Are you honestly arguing that stunning an animal unconscious (no way to know if it is pain or not this way, by the way) until it is killed, in a farm where it has been kept in a small cage all its life most probably, is a better way to treat it?
Reply 176
"Depending on how the animal is cut"?! Do you people just come on here preaching without any knowledge whatsoever of what you're talking about? I feel like I'm the only one that's done my research? :frown:
I love it when some apologist whose information comes entirely from a partisan source, accuses others with clearly superior knowledge of a subject, of "ignorance"! Have you actually read any scientific reports on the issue, or look at legislation covering livestock slaughter and animal welfare, or did you just look at mashallahalal.com?

There is only one way the animal is cut. The halal method is to use a sharp knife, quickly slit the throat so that no pain is felt. The animal dies within seconds.
The speed of "bleed-out" depends on the type and size of the animal, and how efficiently and accurately the cut is made (how the animal is cut). All studies have shown that the animal suffers pain and distress until death. This takes between several seconds and two minutes. One study found that the animal being conscious and struggling could actually result in a longer bleed-out, thus prolonging the suffering.

The method of killing in conventional slaughter is exactly the same - death by "exsanguination, a massive drop in blood pressure caused by the severing of a main artery in the neck or chest - but the animal is rendered unconscious before the throat is cut.
Additionally, "thoracic sticking" used in conventional slaughter, where an artery in the upper chest is severed, rather than in the neck, achieves faster bleed-out and loss of consciousness.

Not only that, but it's required by Islamic law that the animal be treated extremely well during its life. It is completely forbidden to mistreat it, cause it any pain. Plus it's required it has to be provided with clean water and food, space for it to roam free, and fresh air.
You seem unaware that there are very few "halal farms", and these are far outnumbered by organic and free-range farms that supply livestock for conventional slaughter. The livestock mostly comes from regular farms. The only real difference is that the halal animal has bismillah said over it before killing it (apart from about 15% of animals that are not stunned before killing).
You could have halal and non-halal meat coming from the same barn of chickens, or the same field of sheep.

Are you honestly arguing that stunning an animal unconscious (no way to know if it is pain or not this way, by the way) until it is killed, in a farm where it has been kept in a small cage all its life most probably, is a better way to treat it?
And you accuse others of ignorance! :rofl:
http://www.livecorp.com.au/LC/files/98/98780c7e-2e95-4e45-98d9-74ff85c50281.pdf
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17972-animals-feel-the-pain-of-religious-slaughter/
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.4081/ijas.2009.s2.489
http://www.fve.org/news/position_papers/animal_welfare/fve_02_104_slaughter_prior_stunning.pdf
Original post by QE2
I love it when some apologist whose information comes entirely from a partisan source, accuses others with clearly superior knowledge of a subject, of "ignorance"! Have you actually read any scientific reports on the issue, or look at legislation covering livestock slaughter and animal welfare, or did you just look at mashallahalal.com?

The speed of "bleed-out" depends on the type and size of the animal, and how efficiently and accurately the cut is made (how the animal is cut). All studies have shown that the animal suffers pain and distress until death. This takes between several seconds and two minutes. One study found that the animal being conscious and struggling could actually result in a longer bleed-out, thus prolonging the suffering.

The method of killing in conventional slaughter is exactly the same - death by "exsanguination, a massive drop in blood pressure caused by the severing of a main artery in the neck or chest - but the animal is rendered unconscious before the throat is cut.
Additionally, "thoracic sticking" used in conventional slaughter, where an artery in the upper chest is severed, rather than in the neck, achieves faster bleed-out and loss of consciousness.

You seem unaware that there are very few "halal farms", and these are far outnumbered by organic and free-range farms that supply livestock for conventional slaughter. The livestock mostly comes from regular farms. The only real difference is that the halal animal has bismillah said over it before killing it (apart from about 15% of animals that are not stunned before killing).
You could have halal and non-halal meat coming from the same barn of chickens, or the same field of sheep.

And you accuse others of ignorance! :rofl:
http://www.livecorp.com.au/LC/files/98/98780c7e-2e95-4e45-98d9-74ff85c50281.pdf
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17972-animals-feel-the-pain-of-religious-slaughter/
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.4081/ijas.2009.s2.489
http://www.fve.org/news/position_papers/animal_welfare/fve_02_104_slaughter_prior_stunning.pdf

You can argue as much as you want, the fact remains that it would make absolutely no sense to forbid mistreatment or harm to an animal in its lifetime, only to then slaughter it painfully.
Reply 178
You can argue as much as you want, the fact remains that it would make absolutely no sense to forbid mistreatment or harm to an animal in its lifetime, only to then slaughter it painfully.
When the Quran was written, severing a major artery to allow death by exsanguination was probably the most humane and efficient way of killing (after the Hindu and Sikh jhatka method, which results in instantaneous death by completely severing the head in one stroke).

However, things have moved on in the last 1400 years (as you would expect). The most humane method available now is to stun the animal first, before severing the artery.

Simple question:
You are going to be killed by having your throat cut and bleeding to death.
Would you rather be unconscious, or fully conscious, when your throat is cut?...

And there is your answer to why stunning is more humane.
Original post by QE2
When the Quran was written, severing a major artery to allow death by exsanguination was probably the most humane and efficient way of killing (after the Hindu and Sikh jhatka method, which results in instantaneous death by completely severing the head in one stroke).

However, things have moved on in the last 1400 years (as you would expect). The most humane method available now is to stun the animal first, before severing the artery.

Simple question:
You are going to be killed by having your throat cut and bleeding to death.
Would you rather be unconscious, or fully conscious, when your throat is cut?...

And there is your answer to why stunning is more humane.

Simple answer: I'd rather not be killed

:colondollar:

Quick Reply