The Student Room Group

Student finance for retaking a year?

I have been having health issues for a while but especially this year: I am a third year finalist and have got eight exams coming up very soon. If I were to retake my final year, provided I could the relevant documentation from my Dr, would student finance fund me? Also, what would I need to provide as evidence?
Thanks
Original post by Lily.Ratcliff
I have been having health issues for a while but especially this year: I am a third year finalist and have got eight exams coming up very soon. If I were to retake my final year, provided I could the relevant documentation from my Dr, would student finance fund me? Also, what would I need to provide as evidence?
Thanks

You're allowed one "gift" year to resit or restart anyway. With "compelling personal reasons" like health issues then you can have more than 1 year extra funding.

Speak to your university ASAP about the rules for resitting final year exams - some can be quite strict over the rules for resitting (although with prior notice and health reasons they're often more flexible). Regulations are specific to your university and course so you need to speak to the local experts (usually your student registry/admin office - and your student union if things get complicated...they aren't funded just for cheap beer but to help students navigate university regulations!).

Finance only applies if you are "attending" your resit year. Some universities offer an "assessment only" resit option where you are not considered to be receiving tuition and therefore not eligible for student finance (and because you're a student you're also not eligible for most benefits so end up in the worst possible situation financially).

Quick Reply