The Student Room Group

Should Council House Tenants Live Around Other Council House Tenants

And not around private/housing association tenants?
Why? I don't believe in segregation.
Mixing is the best, in housing/school/work, it means children can see all kinds of lifestyles and not be limited, when a child doesnt know anyone who has been to university it means they are less likely to apply to uni, even with good grades.
Reply 3
I've seen nothing but trouble and resentment when housing developments are mixed.
Original post by Reue
I've seen nothing but trouble and resentment when housing developments are mixed.

Like what?
Reply 5
Original post by muslimstanisyed
Like what?

Spikes in crime, anti-social behaviour and a complete lack of any neighbourhood culture.
Original post by Reue

I agree 100%!
Original post by Alice__90
Why? I don't believe in segregation.

Original post by Thisguy11
Mixing is the best, in housing/school/work, it means children can see all kinds of lifestyles and not be limited, when a child doesnt know anyone who has been to university it means they are less likely to apply to uni, even with good grades.

How do you guys respond to this.

(Original post by muslimstanisyed)
Like what?Spikes in crime, anti-social behaviour and a complete lack of any neighbourhood culture.
Original post by muslimstanisyed
How do you guys respond to this.

(Original post by muslimstanisyed)
Like what?Spikes in crime, anti-social behaviour and a complete lack of any neighbourhood culture.

When it says spikes in crime, is it just looking at private areas?, is crime overall increased?http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/The-312/January-2013/Does-Segregation-Make-a-City-More-Vulnerable-to-Crime/
Why should people in council homes be stereotyped? I claim housing benefit but I private rent. If I lived in a council place would that make me different somehow?
It wasnt that long ago that local authorities i,e councils had responsibility for social housing. They built and operated what are commonly known as council estates. The general perception and often the reality was that these homes were inhabited by the poorer members of what passes for society ranging from the unemployed, unemployable, single mothers ,low paid etc.

Meanwhile people who were working in good jobs lived in private housing and had a mortgage.

This was a form of segregation but everyone knew their place and it was the accepted norm.

Over the years the line has blurred. Councils no longer run housing. They are all operated by stand alone companies. Fewer and fewer such properties are built and in many areas they are now scarce.

A Labour government decided to conduct social experiments. They acquired vast tracts of land under the corrupt pathfinder scheme and sold them off cheaply to developers. The condition of the deal was that as well as private housing, they would also have to build social (council) housing.

So now the dolehopper can live on the same development as the hard working mortgage payer.

Does that seem fair and does it encourage aspiration?
Yes. Local councils should place all of the great unwashed into the same area the same as what the goverment must do with those who scrounge benefit,
Original post by FeckTheScrounger
Yes. Local councils should place all of the great unwashed into the same area the same as what the goverment must do with those who scrounge benefit,

Ah so you like to stereotype and segregate rather than do what best for everyone?

How do you expect their children to do better when pretty much evryone they know ill be the same.

You can also find many studies showing the segregation increases crime.
We're not all the same. Please don't tar us all with the same brush.

Quick Reply

Latest