The Student Room Group

Muslims - Will you fast during exam period? Exam clash with Ramadan

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I will only have two exams during fasting because mine are before Ramadan mostly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by quasa
nodding head politely because I have no idea what SWEG is

Feels bad that we're taking over the post.
Original post by Axel Johann
Good point :getmecoat:

But the reason I was defending him is because I fear that we're too quick to just say "report" and then adding fuel to KingBradly and them others' fire about how the criticism of Islam is being censored on TSR.

And then when they make a big fuss about it, they point to their clever wording and say that they weren't in the wrong. Which when you look at it word for word, they kind of weren't because of their clever wording. Thus making us look bad because it makes us look like we're just trying to censor any criticism of Islam.

I do admit you are right in this case, and maybe this case wasn't the best time to point of my long brewing fears, so I'm sorry for that. But it is something I am concerned with. These guys are playing smart now.

I don't report criticism, I have no problem with it. I do have a problem with insults however and that's when I either ignore it or hit the report button. It's clear from his post what his intention was.

No need to apologize, I understand what you were trying to say :yy:

Original post by RMNDK
But I thought the whole point of Islam was to make it flexible for your lifestyle, within reason of course. Surely Allah wouldn't want us to fast if it meant we could potentially be sacrificing our grades and thus to achieve in life?

Also, I can't xD For some reason no matter how much I try to stuff myself, get so hungry and weak in the morning. Probably cos my mental state is piss poor

It isn't a big deal. Fasting on a day of an exam isn't going to be the difference between an A grade and a U. Everything Allah has commanded us to do is within our ability and that includes fasting. Allah has made it easy by giving us suhoor (there is blessings in having suhoor itself) which is more than what some people have, yet they still choose to fast.

Remember this Quranic verse
“Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear…” (Qur’an,*2:286)

This may sound harsh, but unless you have a condition or an illness, there's no excuse to miss fasting.
Everyday we're blessed by Allah with food to eat, you can't make that sacrifice for Him for just one month? There's so much barakah in Ramadan, why anyone would want to miss that opportunity for reward is beyond me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by safiyyah98
Theres many of us muslims who have exams (I have my A2 exams) during Ramadan. My question is will you fast?

I myself will miss out a fast on the day of an exam and I worked out I will only miss 5 which isn't too bad as I can make them up after. However I was considering fasting even on exam days because I feel as if Allah will give me the strength to pull through but then I thought Allah doesn't want to make things hard for us and obviously Ramadan is to strengthen your personal relationship with Allah so missing 5 fasts won't be too bad considering I have good intentions, and these exams are make or break so messing it up isn't an option as it will affect the rest of my life.

So will you or will you not fast, either on exam days or the entire exam period, I was just curious to see what others are doing.

Good luck with your exams but I thought that I'd just mention that choosing not to fast because of an exam day is not a valid excuse in Islam.

What you CAN do to lighten the load is to skip tarawih/tahajjud prayers to sleep/revision and make sure you get plenty of electrolytes, fibre and slow-acting carbs at your fajr meal. That's what I did last year.
Original post by Jarco
Definitely will be fasting in sh Allah ^^ i mean just imagine on the Day when He asks us what the reason was for why we didnt fast and we say 'sorry, had exams that day'😂

Does sound kinda pathetic doesn't it?
And He will ask us why didn't we prepare for His exam which was the greatest.
(edited 8 years ago)
Isnt the punishment 30 consecutive days of fasting if you intentionally break your fast?
Original post by HAnwar
Does sound kinda pathetic doesn't it?

It IS pathetic, you're right but I don't blame OP. It's really important that we remember that Allah blessed us with these bits and bobs of knowledge and that we too, at one point, didn't have this kinda knowledge.

I assume the OP, @safiyyah98, wasn't aware that there are only a few VALID excuses for missing fasting and exam day isn't one of them. If you want more info on it, check out the ruling on IslamQA.

Spoiler

Original post by Roofas
The final thing I have to say is that you simply cannot close off threads from certain groups. Yes you can encourage certain people to discuss issues but if I made a thread talking about how to avoid getting sunburn, would it really be in my remit to deny the opinions/jokes/taunts of people with darker skin because 'it's not relevant to them'?

It's really un-British to have that sort of notion in my opinion. If we are going to live in a multicultural Britain then these formerly isolated issues come to affect all cultures and people and that's something we're all going to have to accept.

Yes I agree with you on that one, I admit.

I just want to know why it's so hard for people to not criticise other faiths and cultures. As you mentioned we live in a multicultural Britain, so why can't we just accept that others have different beliefs? I've met so many different people. I have friends who are atheists, Sikh, Hindu, Christians, white, black, LBGT, etc etc. For example, even though Islam says homosexuality is completely wrong, it doesn't mean i'm going to pick out the gays and hate on them, or even criticise them. I'll just keep my opinion to myself and let them get on with their lives. So why can't that happen to me to. If people think it's wrong for someone to wear a headscarf then so be it, but that opinion shouldn't be expressed loudly. Keep it to yourself.
Original post by Butternuts96
It IS pathetic, you're right but I don't blame OP. It's really important that we remember that Allah blessed us with these bits and bobs of knowledge and that we too, at one point, didn't have this kinda knowledge.

I assume the OP, @safiyyah98, wasn't aware that there are only a few VALID excuses for missing fasting and exam day isn't one of them. If you want more info on it, check out the ruling on IslamQA.

Spoiler

Yes. But I do hope now that others know it's not permissible to miss fasting they will fast.

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ayaz789
Haha np what do you study?

Psychology, Religious Studies and Business studies, I'm planning (inshallah) to study nursing at uni in september. wbu?
Psychology, Religious Studies and Business studies, I'm planning (inshallah) to study nursing at uni in september. wbu?

Planning to Study Maths Inshaa'Allah
Original post by Ayaz789
Planning to Study Maths Inshaa'Allah

Mashallah you must be really clever then haha
Mashallah you must be really clever then haha

Haha not really , just a bit talented at maths thats all alhamdulillah :smile:
Original post by Ayaz789
Haha not really , just a bit talented at maths thats all alhamdulillah :smile:

Lol, thats really good, any idea what uni?
Lol, thats really good, any idea what uni?

Yeah ive chosen my firm , haha Leeds wbu?
Original post by Ayaz789
Yeah ive chosen my firm , haha Leeds wbu?

Good uni :smile: and Inshallah Birmingham
Good uni :smile: and Inshallah Birmingham

Haha i chose Aston & got an offer too but its about 3 hours away so yeah never chose it as my firm or insurance :P Your Uni is better haha
Original post by Ayaz789
Haha i chose Aston & got an offer too but its about 3 hours away so yeah never chose it as my firm or insurance :P Your Uni is better haha

3 hours away? wow where are you from? Lol, Aston is pretty good as well and apparently its really hard to get into Leeds so congrats! :biggrin:
3 hours away? wow where are you from? Lol, Aston is pretty good as well and apparently its really hard to get into Leeds so congrats! :biggrin:

Haha i live in a town near Manchester!:smile: wbu? Ahh yeah:biggrin:
Reply 179
Original post by Josb
Not sure, but having a Playboy avatar might be considered haram.

What?? I thoughts its a normal cute bunny pic

Quick Reply

Latest