The Student Room Group

What are the essential of a capsule wardrobe?

I've been trying to get rid of as much of my clothes as possible as i dont have enough space and want to reduce my amount of washing.

I have about 60+ items left not including my clothes for work so was wondering if anyone has any advice on how i can turn this into a capsule wardrobe and if there any essential things to have for one?
Reply 1
throw what u dont wear. i am a clothes hoarder and even i managed to do it.
keep plain simple clothes that u can add accessories too to turn it into a nice outfit
keep smart casual stuff for interviews/meetings etc
keep at least one going out outfit, one formal etc
Original post by shawtyb
throw what u dont wear. i am a clothes hoarder and even i managed to do it.
keep plain simple clothes that u can add accessories too to turn it into a nice outfit
keep smart casual stuff for interviews/meetings etc
keep at least one going out outfit, one formal etc

I've thrown out everything i dont wear, i m still left with 60 things:P I m not big on accessories normally, what sorts of things would you suggest? The 60 things aren't including my work clothes so already got interviews covered :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
I've thrown out everything i dont wear, i m still left with 60 things:P I m not big on accessories normally, what sorts of things would you suggest? The 60 things aren't including my work clothes so already got interviews covered :smile:

ok well outfits for going to dinner, occasions like weddings etc, going out at night with ur friends. always keep something like this, and maybe a few summer outfits too.
if you dont usually wear accessories its hard to tell, but for me, iv got necklaces, headbands with bows on them, normal head bands, iv also got them scarfs but there like the thin pretty ones, not the thick winter ones.
Original post by shawtyb
ok well outfits for going to dinner, occasions like weddings etc, going out at night with ur friends. always keep something like this, and maybe a few summer outfits too.
if you dont usually wear accessories its hard to tell, but for me, iv got necklaces, headbands with bows on them, normal head bands, iv also got them scarfs but there like the thin pretty ones, not the thick winter ones.

I think i only have 2 going out outfits as well i barely go out and am always a bridesmaid never a guest :P Headbands is one thing i hadnt thought of, with the way my hair is at the moment i do probably need them too.
Reply 5
if u google headband ideas, youl find loads :smile:
Reply 6
Keep your best ones. It's out of question that you have to say goodbye to some items. For example, you can keep the gown for different seasons,occasions. I think two or three is OK. With regard to special occasion dresses, a versatile formal dress is necessary for you. See more fashion style and ideas about what to wear: http://www.dressesmallau.co/blog/
A good pair of jeans that you can wear in many different ways i.e. with different colour schemes, formally and informally etc :smile:
So this is capsule wardrobe, excluding work clothes, for Spring/Summer, or for whole year?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DrSocSciences
So this is capsule wardrobe, excluding work clothes, for Spring/Summer, or for whole year?

I'm aiming for the whole year being that northern england doesnt get much of a summer.

Original post by evalilyXOX
A good pair of jeans that you can wear in many different ways i.e. with different colour schemes, formally and informally etc :smile:

I have 4 different pairs of jeans, it's the tops and dresses that i really want to work on cutting down really.
So the traditional advice is: stick to black, navy or neutral key pieces, with interchangeable bright accessories…but I think this relates to workplace clothing more than non-workwear, and prescribes an old-fashioned look.

Have only clothes that fit you right now.
If you haven't worn it, and felt good in it, in the past 12 months, get rid.
Some clothes have sentimental associations, but keep no more than 4 of these items.

Give your friends the option to nominate 2 garments that you should get rid of: one non-negotiable, and one a suggestion.
Gamification, and the introduction of risk, makes the process more interesting.

Footwear: no-one needs more than 8 pairs of shoes. Ever.
Original post by DrSocSciences
So the traditional advice is: stick to black, navy or neutral key pieces, with interchangeable bright accessories…but I think this relates to workplace clothing more than non-workwear, and prescribes an old-fashioned look.

Have only clothes that fit you right now.
If you haven't worn it, and felt good in it, in the past 12 months, get rid.
Some clothes have sentimental associations, but keep no more than 4 of these items.

Give your friends the option to nominate 2 garments that you should get rid of: one non-negotiable, and one a suggestion.
Gamification, and the introduction of risk, makes the process more interesting.

Footwear: no-one needs more than 8 pairs of shoes. Ever.

Thank you:smile: I've managed to get down to 2 sentimental items in my wardrobe now and I believe I have 9 pairs of shoes including my work shoes so will attempt to be more ruthless with them.

Quick Reply

Latest