The Student Room Group

Withdrawing from Uni, can't afford to repay maintenance!

I started uni last Sept but had to go home two weeks into January as I was suffering from depression. I was signed off sick for two months and formally withdrew about 24th March.
My Uni told me they've backdated the withdrawal date to my last day there in January but the result of this is I've just received a letter from Student Loans asking me to repay £1500 in maintenance payments.

Because I was signed off sick and in no state to even decide what I was going to do, I had left most of my things in my uni room and the rent was paid for the whole spring term, USING the maintenance loan!

If I've used the loan to pay the rent and have no income to repay it now, what do I do? I'm just beginning to come to terms with leaving and getting counseling for my depression, now I'm worried this is going to make me really ill again.

Do I have to pay it back now if I'm not working? If I get a little job will all my wages have to go on this? Or can it be repaid with the rest of the student loan if/when I earn over 21K? Help please! I can't face calling them until I have more info.
Original post by BryonyJ.
I started uni last Sept but had to go home two weeks into January as I was suffering from depression. I was signed off sick for two months and formally withdrew about 24th March.
My Uni told me they've backdated the withdrawal date to my last day there in January but the result of this is I've just received a letter from Student Loans asking me to repay £1500 in maintenance payments.

Because I was signed off sick and in no state to even decide what I was going to do, I had left most of my things in my uni room and the rent was paid for the whole spring term, USING the maintenance loan!

If I've used the loan to pay the rent and have no income to repay it now, what do I do? I'm just beginning to come to terms with leaving and getting counseling for my depression, now I'm worried this is going to make me really ill again.

Do I have to pay it back now if I'm not working? If I get a little job will all my wages have to go on this? Or can it be repaid with the rest of the student loan if/when I earn over 21K? Help please! I can't face calling them until I have more info.

Speak to your university - I'm surprised they back dated your withdrawal date and they should have notified SLC of compelling personal reasons which would have given you 60 days funding after your withdrawal date.

Talk to the SLC as soon as possible and explain the situation and that you're struggling with depression. The repayment demand will only be for any "overpayment" - the loan you received you your time at university will be repayable under the usual terms (when you earn over £21k etc). If you explain that you're trying to work with your unviersity to sort out the withdrawal dates and CPR evidence then they're more likely to be sympathetic and patient (they may also be able to help put pressure on your unviersity).
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Speak to your university - I'm surprised they back dated your withdrawal date and they should have notified SLC of compelling personal reasons which would have given you 60 days funding after your withdrawal date.

Talk to the SLC as soon as possible and explain the situation and that you're struggling with depression. The repayment demand will only be for any "overpayment" - the loan you received you your time at university will be repayable under the usual terms (when you earn over £21k etc). If you explain that you're trying to work with your unviersity to sort out the withdrawal dates and CPR evidence then they're more likely to be sympathetic and patient (they may also be able to help put pressure on your unviersity).

Thanks. Spoke to the Uni today and they said they have to use the last date I attended in january as my withdrawal date, despite the fact I have medical certificates covering me until the end of March. They said they'll let SLC know I left for health reasons but said that any pleading 'compelling personal' reasons is up to me.
Phoned SLC and they said it makes no difference why I left, even though I was suicidal and am still depressed...They said the overpayment can be paid in installments but not reduced and that any special circumstances would only be looked at if I'd left uni temporarily and gone back. Not sympathetic or patient in the slightest.
So its pretty grim really! Can I pay it back in tiny amounts or will this stop me being able to apply for finance for anywhere else? if I take a year out to recover and reapply next year does it all need to be paid off first?
Also, do they charge interest on the maintenance loan and how do I find out if I've been charged for a full years tuition fees too?
Reply 3
If anyone can give recent experiences where they've been treated leniently by SLC, I'd be grateful. Was I wrong to think they could give me 60days more funding if I was signed off sick?

The woman on the phone was really unsympathetic and said it made no difference why I'd left or if I had medical certificates. She said they'd only take that into account if I went back to the course and it was just suspended for a time. This makes no sense to me!.
I was suicidal (still am at times) and this is making me sicker again. What was I supposed to do?

The majority of the maintenance has gone to my accommodation, when I wasn't there but my stuff was still in the room. I never intended to get into uni, get a mental illness, come home and be in massive debt for the sake of it.

I have a £1000 bursary from my family being in the lower earnings bracket. I really wanted to use this as a buffer if I reapply to a different uni after taking a year out. Should I use it to pay some of the maintenance back and then set up a direct debit to clear the rest?

Does anyone know if this has to be cleared before reapplying for finance? Is interest charged on it?
Will I have been charged a full years tuition fees too? I could use some advice before trying to call them again on Monday. Dreading it..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending