The Student Room Group

Your views on a 20yr male sexting a 16yr old girl.

Scroll to see replies

It's just weird :lolwut:

16 just seems too young for a 20 year old.
Original post by Years & Months
the law in general, or that particular legislation that makes 17 year olds freely sending each other certain pictures sex offenders?

the law governing the sexual aspects of childhood is very strict. 17 year olds are still children; they are not able to make adult decisions about their behavior.
@DanteTheDoorKnob what do you think
Original post by the bear
Sending a naked image of yourself via text message, or social media, when you’re below the age of 18 is technically illegal. It counts as an offence of distributing an indecent image of a child and is something you could receive a police caution for. You could even end up on the sex offenders register.
Detective Sergeant Jan Rusdale of the Nottinghamshire force warns: [People who do it] could end up on the register for a couple of years. When they come to getting a job this would then count against them.”
Sonn adds: “The law doesn’t distinguish between an indecent image of you and an indecent image of someone else.”

Sexting doesn't necessarily involve sending images. And can you point to this law? I've had a quick look myself but haven't come across it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TurboCretin
Sexting doesn't necessarily involve sending images.

you are quite correct... but PC Plod is the forces of law and order are more interested in busting people for rude pictures than rude epigrams.
Reply 25
Whether they would pursue that charge would depend on a number of factors. Much the same as when two 14 year olds have sex. If they put the photos online then it's classed as distribution and I think they would have little lee way.

This is why so much focus has been on educating young people. More focus on this than Internet sexual abuse when it comes to Internet safety lessons
the law governing the sexual aspects of childhood is very strict. 17 year olds are still children; they are not able to make adult decisions about their behavior.

you failed to answer my question.

your arguments are very weak.

it is with no great joy that i observe you do not live up to your reputation.
Original post by Years & Months
you failed to answer my question.

your arguments are very weak.

it is with no great joy that i observe you do not live up to your reputation.

:cry:
Reply 28
16 and 20?

20 and 24?

Not the age gap that's the matter but the fact that the person is 16... Wait until she's at least 18, if you have the need for sending nudes.

Or just don't get caught :colonhash:
Original post by BicepPeak
Although it's illegal, do you think it's morally wrong. ? What if they're actually dating ?

2 words = JAIL BAIT!

Leave her be dude, she hasn't even got her GCSE Maths :lol:
Reply 30
Slightly perverted.

She's too young.
Reply 31
the law is there for a reason.

They decided on it years ago and no one can be arsed to change it?
Original post by samina_ay
@DanteTheDoorKnob what do you think

Sexting? Nah

Anything else? Half plus seven rule saves all this moral bs, 20 / 10 + 7

I'd date 17+, 16 is still school so unless her mums paying me to babysit i'll pass.
the law is there for a reason.

This is just stupid and could be used to justify anything from apartheid to genocide.
16 year old girl could easily look 20+
Just saying
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Sexting? Nah

Anything else? Half plus seven rule saves all this moral bs, 20 / 10 + 7

I'd date 17+, 16 is still school so unless her mums paying me to babysit i'll pass.

Good choice xx
Its absolutely disgusting and the fact that some people get away with it is even worse. If you're a minor and you're taking advantage of someone who may be vulnerable is unacceptable.
It's not illegal and it isn't intrinsically immoral either.
Sending a naked image of yourself via text message, or social media, when you’re below the age of 18 is technically illegal. It counts as an offence of distributing an indecent image of a child and is something you could receive a police caution for. You could even end up on the sex offenders register.
Detective Sergeant Jan Rusdale of the Nottinghamshire force warns: [People who do it] could end up on the register for a couple of years. When they come to getting a job this would then count against them.”
Sonn adds: “The law doesn’t distinguish between an indecent image of you and an indecent image of someone else.”

You sort of derailed this by going straight for the laws surrounding images.

Sexting can be free of exchanging images. What is the deal there with the law?

And you have mentioned the images of the underage person, but what about if the adult sends the image to somebody underage?

Your comment is exclusively limited to images of the underage person and doesn't cover the various forms that sexting can take.
Reply 39
Original post by Ethereal World
You sort of derailed this by going straight for the laws surrounding images.

Sexting can be free of exchanging images. What is the deal there with the law?

And you have mentioned the images of the underage person, but what about if the adult sends the image to somebody underage?

Your comment is exclusively limited to images of the underage person and doesn't cover the various forms that sexting can take.

Say I was sexting a 16 year old (im 20), didn't send any sexually explicit photos, maybe the odd topless one but generally just explicit messages, would you say it's okay, im not aware of the law regarding this.

Quick Reply

Latest