The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is crime so prevalent among black people in UK?

Note: Please don't interpret this thread to have some kind of racist agenda. I'm genuinely interested as to what factors contribute towards these higher crime rates.

Statistics from the Ministry of Justice from 2014 show that 'Black' and 'Mixed' British Nationals are disproportionately represented in UK prisons:

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/480250/bulletin.pdf + https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/race-and-the-criminal-justice-system-2014

The chance of black British person being in prison is almost 3x the average for the entire UK population (all ethnicities).

The low figures among 'Chinese or Other' are also pretty interesting.

Unsurprisingly, a somewhat similar pattern can be seen among the arrest rates:

Is Economic Status a factor?
A reasonable explanation for these high rates of crime could be put down to higher rates of poverty among black people. A report by poverty.org shows the proportion of people who live in low-income households (http://www.poverty.org.uk/06/index.shtml):

From this, it is evident that black minorities are more likely to live in low-income households. However, the rate is also much higher among Pakistanis and Bangladeshis (60% and 70% respectively) as well as it being high among Indians (30%). These 3 ethnic groups make up the vast majority of the UK 'Asian' population. Can you therefore really consider economic status to be a big factor/cause of crime? It clearly doesn't have as much of an impact on crime among the 'Asian' ethnic group.

Is the UK justice system racist?
Maybe the justice system just discriminates against black people hence the higher prison population. However, the conviction rates suggest otherwise:

Why is crime more prevalent among black and mixed British people in the UK? I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts on this.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

POVERTY.

END OF THREAD.

oh yeah, and institutional racism in the police force too
(edited 8 years ago)
the astonishing thing is how well behaved the Chinese community are. they work hard, do not cause trouble and keep themselves to themselves.
Original post by Espada Null
POVERTY.

END OF THREAD.

x

I mentioned that poverty could be a factor but provided a source that poverty rates are actually higher among the 'Asian' ethnic group (who don't have such a high crime rate). If you could provide a source to back up your claim, that would be useful.
POVERTY.

END OF THREAD.

x

Poverty?!
Similar statistics can also been seen in the US. For example:

A report from the U.S. Department of Justice found that "black people were responsible for 52.5% of homicides recorded between 1980-2008 despite making up just 13% of the total US population". (See 'Offenders' in the 'All Homicides' row):

Source: http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Good thread.

Western Europeans, North Americans and East Asians are model immigrants and we should be making it easier for people from these countries (inb4 'they are not countries'...) to enter the UK as they have the most to contribute.
Poverty, less stable family backgrounds, lack of stake in society. Pretty obvious.
A lot of crimes are also against other people in their community i.e gang crime, knife attacks.
Original post by the bear
the astonishing thing is how well behaved the Chinese community are. they work hard, do not cause trouble and keep themselves to themselves.

Not alogether true, they just prefer different areas of crime.
Reply 9
Original post by NickLCFC
Note: Please don't interpret this thread to have some kind of racist agenda. I'm genuinely interested as to what factors contribute towards these higher crime rates.

Statistics from the Ministry of Justice from 2014 show that 'Black' and 'Mixed' British Nationals are disproportionately represented in UK prisons:

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/480250/bulletin.pdf + https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/race-and-the-criminal-justice-system-2014

The chance of black British person being in prison is almost 3x the average for the entire UK population (all ethnicities).

The low figures among 'Chinese or Other' are also pretty interesting.

Unsurprisingly, a somewhat similar pattern can be seen among the arrest rates:

Is Economic Status a factor?
A reasonable explanation for these high rates of crime could be put down to higher rates of poverty among black people. A report by poverty.org shows the proportion of people who live in low-income households (http://www.poverty.org.uk/06/index.shtml):

From this, it is evident that black minorities are more likely to live in low-income households. However, the rate is also much higher among Pakistanis and Bangladeshis (60% and 70% respectively) as well as it being high among Indians (30%). These 3 ethnic groups make up the vast majority of the UK 'Asian' population. Can you therefore really consider economic status to be a big factor/cause of crime? It clearly doesn't have as much of an impact on crime among the 'Asian' ethnic group.

Is the UK justice system racist?
Maybe the justice system just discriminates against black people hence the higher prison population. However, the conviction rates suggest otherwise:

Why is crime more prevalent among black and mixed British people in the UK? I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Arab muslims trade on black slaves to this day.
Original post by 999tigger
Poverty, less stable family backgrounds, lack of stake in society. Pretty obvious.
A lot of crimes are also against other people in their community i.e gang crime, knife attacks.

It really isn't 'obvious' when you don't provide evidence to back up your claim.
Reply 11
POVERTY.

END OF THREAD.

x

I Am Slave is a 2010 television film produced for Channel 4 on the story of one woman's fight for freedom from modern-day slavery. It premiered on Channel 4 on 30 August 2010. The movie is mostly based on Mende Nazer, a Sudanese author, human rights activist and a former slave in Sudan and London.
If the 'other' was taken away from Chinese, it would be even lower. And their food is gorgeous.
If you're black you are 8x more likely to be stop and searched.
Original post by the bear

It's not astonishing at all. Look at the culture of a lot of white people, it may be better than black 'families'(although most aren't complete families) but it's definitely less educated and respectful than East Asians.
I think it might be worth mentioning Thomas Sowell. He has written a few books about culture and its effect and makes some controversial points, but are nonetheless worth adding to the discussion. He claims culture has a large effect. He mentions for example that during WW2, many black American soldiers stationed out in Germany ended up having children with local German women, and the black children there equalled the white children in their achievements educationally. He emphasises, saying that the reason why this was the case was because Germany didn't have the "black culture" that was present in America.

I however would say that there are multiple factors at play. I would say societal, cultural and economical factors all have a play, and so too may historical issues such as discrimination under the Jim Crow laws, which may still be having effects in America today.

[video="youtube;hs5qvovJkwI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs5qvovJkwI[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Noodlzzz
If you're black you are 8x more likely to be stop and searched.

From the 2014 UK crime statistics that I just posted: black people are just over 4x more likely to be stopped and searched than white people (maybe your figure is from the US?).

You're right though, black people have a considerably higher chance that they will be stopped and searched. Are you suggesting that racism/discrimination is the cause for the disproportionate amount of black people in UK prisons?
(edited 8 years ago)
Family? I don't know single parent statistics but i'd imagine Asians rule with an iron fist and don't tolerate their children breaking the law.

I am glad people here aren't just dismissing this as racist, but people saying poverty are equally as stupid given the evidence above.
I think its a complex answer there's poverty, a general mistrust of police (which is understandable tbh) so less people are willing to report crimes, a 'no snitching' culture in some places just to name a few.

And as an African I'd also be interested to see if crime rates differ between black Africans, Caribbeans and black British people.
The reason why black youths are more likely to be found guilty of crimes is because the police stereotype and look for crimes in areas where there is a higher proportion of black people. I don't need evidence for this cause as you've already stated black peoples are more likely to be stopped and searched. However what about crimes committed by rich white men. David Cameron has bank accounts in foreign countries so he doesn't have to pay tax as do many white rich people but these aren't technically crimes even though them failing to pay taxes means that the British economy is doomed. However there are black mothers who can't afford to pay tax and who are labelled criminals for failing to do so. How is her not paying a few hundreds of pounds of tax compatible to David Cameron and his liked millions of tax avoidance. White collar crime is worse for our society yet blank people are targeted by the police.

Latest

Trending

Trending