The Student Room Group

Switzerland Suspends Citizenship process for Muslim Family

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HAnwar
Haha
I would have done the same thing.
Too bad the UK can't do anything about it.

Except its not considered as important here because its a different country. The more muslims choose not to integrate, then the more tensions will be caused.

If you cant live by and respect the values and culture of the country you are in why stay? it would seem more sensible to go and find another country, which is more compatible.
Reply 61
Original post by AperfectBalance
Disgusting, behavior like that does not belong in the modern world,
You think If I said I will not shake a Muslims hand as he is dirty I would probably be arrested or cautioned.
If I would not shake a black persons hand as he is dirty I would probably be arrested or cautioned.
All of these behaviors do not belong in the modern world, and If you cant handle it as you hide behind words of a long dead and possibly fictitious man you should not be in the modern world

Lol
That isn't even the reason. We don't shake hands because certain people of race or religion are 'dirty'.
Reply 62
Original post by 999tigger
Except its not considered as important here because its a different country. The more muslims choose not to integrate, then the more tensions will be caused.

If you cant live by and respect the values and culture of the country you are in why stay? it would seem more sensible to go and find another country, which is more compatible.

I can integrate without compromising my religion.

Send me a plane ticket, convince my family and find me a mahram and I'll be out of here.
Original post by HAnwar
Lol
That isn't even the reason. We don't shake hands because certain people of race or religion are 'dirty'.

The only reason is because she is a woman, this is backward and while you may not view her as dirty it is pretty much the same.
Reply 64
The only reason is because she is a woman, this is backward and while you may not view her as dirty it is pretty much the same.

No it isn't.
Women also don't shake hands with men.
There is no need to.
Original post by HAnwar

Send me a plane ticket, convince my family and find me a mahram and I'll be out of here.

But the Swiss case is just a requirement if you want citizenship. Their rules. If you can't comply, because of your religion, then they have a perfect right to refuse citizenship. You dont have to compromise at all just dont ask for citizenship.
It's nice to see that the Swiss actually value the liberal culture they have.

"Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them." - Karl Popper
Reply 67
Original post by 999tigger
But the Swiss case is just a requirement if you want citizenship. Their rules. If you can't comply, because of your religion, then they have a perfect right to refuse citizenship. You dont have to compromise at all just dont ask for citizenship.

Sure it's their rules. Even if it's a ridiculous and absurd one they still have that right to refuse citizenship.
Original post by HAnwar

Not shaking someones hand makes you look like a bit of a *******, sorry to say but it is true, I would not hire someone who refuses to shake hands with a woman.
Original post by HAnwar
No it isn't.
Women also don't shake hands with men.
There is no need to.

So actually is precisely because she's a woman.

And actually, there is a need to. It's a sign of respect and it establishes a connection. Don't like it? Deal with it or leave.
Original post by KingBradly
It's nice to see that the Swiss actually value the liberal culture they have.

"Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them." - Karl Popper

That is a extremely good quote I think that sums up tolerance completely. Thanks for that.
Reply 71
Not shaking someones hand makes you look like a bit of a *******, sorry to say but it is true, I would not hire someone who refuses to shake hands with a woman.

Good thing I wouldn't wanna be in such a job anyways.
Original post by HAnwar
Sure it's their rules. Even if it's a ridiculous and absurd one they still have that right to refuse citizenship.

As ridiculous and absurd as believing in a god?
Oh no, don't deport me because I didn't feel like shaking someone's hand today. Oh wow I think I should be on some sort of list, keep me away from the mosques I might get bad ideas.
When in rome do as the romans. If they couldn't they deserve it
Reply 75
Original post by KingBradly
So actually is precisely because she's a woman.

And actually, there is a need to. It's a sign of respect and it establishes a connection. Don't like it? Deal with it or leave.

The point he was making was that the reasoning behind refusing the handshake was because the women are dirty.

No there isn't.
There are many other ways I can show respect.

Have to agree

I've been lucky enough to actually be involved in interview processes and I always offer my hand as do the others I have interviewed with.

Once had a women make excuses as her 'hands were full' but I made them put down their things and still offered my hand which they then refused to shake (made them look like an idiot as everyone could see the 'hands full' was simply a lie).

A refusal shows that they are willing to offend others which in business sends the wrong message (I work for a European Company so hand shakes, hugs and cheek kisses are the norm in greeting people).

As you can guess they didn't get the Job.

And as I move up the management structure this rule will always apply for those who I seek to work with.
Reply 77
Original post by Zargabaath
Serious question, with no insults or anything. I'm just really confused.
Why do your Islamic customs trump the customs of the host country?

Sorry if you will feel sad because I'm answering it:

The reason is, Muslim think they are entitled, they don't accept any counties Laws or Customs, they don't care. Only LAW for them is Sharia, like all the other countries and customs and traditions are worthless apart from their own Sharia.

Think about it, kind of randomly meet opposite muslim gender for whatever reason, you put your hand up to shake, the person goes one step back, says sorry I cant shake hands and you look like and idiot.
Cartoonist, does his daily jobs, draws picture of all the religious peoples from all religions (including islam), it's "HUGE DISRESPECT".
Original post by BaconandSauce
Have to agree

I've been lucky enough to actually be involved in interview processes and I always offer my hand as do the others I have interviewed with.

Once had a women make excuses as her 'hands were full' but I made them put down their things and still offered my hand which they then refused to shake (made them look like an idiot as everyone could see the 'hands full' was simply a lie).

A refusal shows that they are willing to offend others which in business sends the wrong message (I work for a European Company so hand shakes, hugs and cheek kisses are the norm in greeting people).

As you can guess they didn't get the Job.

And as I move up the management structure this rule will always apply for those who I seek to work with.

Good on you, I think that cheek kissing is a little strange but I am fine with it as it hurts no one and it is a sign of friendship and a nice greeting
Reply 79
Original post by lNurl
Sorry if you will feel sad because I'm answering it:

The reason is, Muslim think they are entitled, they don't accept any counties Laws or Customs, they don't care. Only LAW for them is Sharia, like all the other countries and customs and traditions are worthless apart from their own Sharia.

Think about it, kind of randomly meet opposite muslim gender for whatever reason, you put your hand up to shake, the person goes one step back, says sorry I cant shake hands and you look like and idiot.
Cartoonist, does his daily jobs, draws picture of all the religious peoples from all religions (including islam), it's "HUGE DISRESPECT".

Lol how ridiculous.
We are actually told to respect the laws of the land we live in.

So please don't go round telling others what Muslims 'think' as if you can read our minds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending