The Student Room Group

Why do girls try to act cute and funny

Girls in my sixth form act completely different around boys. When I talk to girls I just be myself. For girls they seem to put on a show.

Scroll to see replies

its what they do and what all humans do and even though you claim to be yourself when talking to girls, you will inevitably consciously or subconsciously change the way you are ever so slightly in your case (but as you see it ranges to a lot of change for some) to suit the situation better (namely in this case to talk to someone of the opposite sex) , just basic human behaviour

To answer your question, if youre saying they laugh more/smile more, it could also be politeness appreciating the effort that the guy made a joke

If its touching their hair or other body moves they can be unintentional as well (but mostly intentional), again just basic human behaviour with the opposite sex usually flirting
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Same reason guys try to act tough.
Reply 3
People are subjected to changing themselves to make themselves look more desirable, whether that is subconscious or not.
It seems that for some girls they think acting cute will make a guy like them more. Just like for some guys they think acting tough with an 'I don't care' attitude makes girls like them more.
Performative identity is really interesting. Watch this for a bit more insight.

We change our identity depending on our circumstances - if we think certain kinds of things make us perceived more positively in certain circumstances, we act those ways. After reading up on it I've noticed myself doing it all the time.

How we come to think certain ways of being are better thought of than others, in a given circumstance, is where it gets REALLY interesting, though. Then we're talking about who has the power to create norms and shape behaviour. Big stuff.
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
Girls in my sixth form act completely different around boys. When I talk to girls I just be myself. For girls they seem to put on a show.

What do you expect them to act?
like beasts?
Original post by ODES_PDES
What do you expect them to act?
like beasts?

Lol they put on a show but I can't say my male mates are any better tbh
Original post by Kiytt
Same reason guys try to act tough.

Well no that's all the time, including around males, it's an evolutionary thing.

Guys are just of guilty of their equivalent... Pumping their chest and acting tough and all that shizznizzz.
Original post by Little Popcorns

Guys are just of guilty of their equivalent... Pumping their chest and acting tough and all that shizznizzz.

No we don't.

Fight me
I find girls cute but never funny'
Insecurity, not that guys don't act as well in order to impress others.
Reply 12
Original post by balanced
Well no that's all the time, including around males, it's an evolutionary thing.

Both are displays designed to attract a mate, even if in that case, it's not the sole purpose. Whilst strength may be a biological trait, cuteness is socially attributed to femininity and therefore is a trait which attracts (heterosexual) males. Both males and females try to be funny to impress their peers/the opposite sex though.
*giggles* Hehe, what do you meeeeeaaaaan? :mmm: <3
Heheheheh. Its cos we are cute and funny
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths

girl need to impress boys to get that D
Original post by samina_ay
Heheheheh. Its cos we are cute and funny

You're not..

Spoiler

Original post by muslimstanisyed
I find girls cute but never funny'
islam
Anything to get the D
Original post by Little Popcorns
islam

What?