The Student Room Group

I don't think I can get an A in maths

I REALLY need an A in maths; will probably be disowned if not. I keep getting B's in the past papers and now I'm bricking it. Any help would be appreciated.
What questions are puzzling you?
Reply 2
Original post by William Pitt
What questions are puzzling you?

The A grade stuff.
Reply 3
Sorry I can't really specificly help with maths; the only advice I see given often is to just practice and practice and practice, but in terms of self-esteem don't keep telling yourself "I don't think I can do this" as that will also be a barrier to you actually achieving an A.

Sorry couldn't help more :frown:
Original post by sahil19
I REALLY need an A in maths; will probably be disowned if not. I keep getting B's in the past papers and now I'm bricking it. Any help would be appreciated.

give some examples i'm sure we can help, i mean think about it this way, there's only so many ways which you can solve a question and you have all these tools to do so, so which tool should you use to solve the question? it's limited so it can't be too difficult ^-^

anyway everyone here is here to help so post some questions you're getting wrong or getting stuck on and the community can help
Reply 5
Original post by thefatone
give some examples i'm sure we can help, i mean think about it this way, there's only so many ways which you can solve a question and you have all these tools to do so, so which tool should you use to solve the question? it's limited so it can't be too difficult ^-^

anyway everyone here is here to help so post some questions you're getting wrong or getting stuck on and the community can help

The mean of a,b, c is 5.
Find an expression for the mean of b and c in terms of a

Thanks in advance!
Original post by sahil19
The mean of a,b, c is 5.

Thanks in advance!

when you calculate the mean of a set of values you:
1. add up all of the values
2. divide this total by the number of values

For this question, the same has been done:
a, b and c have been added together, and the total was divided by the number of values to get 5.
Can you go from here? :h:
Reply 7
What my teacher does, is after we do a paper, he goes through it with us, then a few weeks later he gives it to us again. If you don't get 100%, the ones you got wrong a second time round, are the ones you need to revise in depth. Also you can go on this website: www.mathsgenie.co.uk/grade2.html
You have loads of revsion questions on EACH subject, and the questions on the packs are given to you in all the ways they can ask you a question on that subject. FINALLY, you can use a website called HegartyMaths which has very helpful revision videos on allllll topics. I recommended to a friend who went from a D/C to a B/A. And yes also PAST PAPERS! DO ALL OF THEM! They are all available on MsthsGenie along wth the revision question resources. GOOD LUCK !! :biggrin: :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you all! X
Original post by sahil19
The mean of a,b, c is 5.

Thanks in advance!

so incase you possibly somehow may not have understood
to find mean you add up all values then divide by number of values then set this equal to the value of the mean of those 3 values which is 5

Original post by surina16
when you calculate the mean of a set of values you:
1. add up all of the values
2. divide this total by the number of values

For this question, the same has been done:
a, b and c have been added together, and the total was divided by the number of values to get 5.
Can you go from here? :h:

^^ this exactly
Complaining and making a thread about it certainly will help towards an A for maths. Only thing you can do is doing what you have already: practice![video="youtube;eGDBR2L5kzI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest