The Student Room Group

How hard will A level maths be?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The-Spartan
100 c1
100 c2
98 s1 (-_-)
298/300.

OMG WHAT? HOW? I have 4 weeks till my C1 . help!
Original post by te.lope
OMG WHAT? HOW? I have 4 weeks till my C1 . help!

It ain't hard :biggrin:
just work hard pretty much it LOL
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
It ain't hard :biggrin:
just work hard pretty much it LOL

For my mocks I revised and got and E , feels like I played myself tbh
Original post by te.lope

oh i got 98/100 UMS :tongue:
Ik how u feel i first kept getting U's start of the year :biggrin:
And then i got the hang of it after all I'm a further maths student :biggrin:
Original post by te.lope

Do past papers! They work (I pwomise :colondollar:)
Not at all. Do as well as you can :smile:
Most of all, DONT STRESS!
If you follow past papers back c. 10 years, attempt the questions and learn how to approach the questions you can't do, you're more or less guaranteed a decent grade.A lot of questions come up time and time again with different numbers/variables/etc. so knowing how to do all of the questions previously set is very useful.

They will put new stuff on the exam (often interesting twists to make conventional questions a little more difficult) and they do depend on some level of mathematical ability but for most, at least some are pretty manageable and even if you get all of them wrong, unless the exam paper you're sitting is particularly mean, you can still get a pretty good grade.

An A at GCSE is a decent start for A-Level. My teacher used to say that in some sense A-Level was easier because you could be sure exactly what topics would come up (pretty much all of them) whereas for GCSE, it is a guessing game.
Reply 26
Original post by Caitlan
If you follow past papers back c. 10 years, attempt the questions and learn how to approach the questions you can't do, you're more or less guaranteed a decent grade.A lot of questions come up time and time again with different numbers/variables/etc. so knowing how to do all of the questions previously set is very useful.

They will put new stuff on the exam (often interesting twists to make conventional questions a little more difficult) and they do depend on some level of mathematical ability but for most, at least some are pretty manageable and even if you get all of them wrong, unless the exam paper you're sitting is particularly mean, you can still get a pretty good grade.

An A at GCSE is a decent start for A-Level. My teacher used to say that in some sense A-Level was easier because you could be sure exactly what topics would come up (pretty much all of them) whereas for GCSE, it is a guessing game.

Thanks for your answer
Reply 27
Original post by Caitlan

What did you get for GCSE and a level maths?
Original post by Rajive
What did you get for GCSE and a level maths?

A*s in both
Reply 29
Original post by Caitlan
A*s in both

Did you also dos further maths as well?
Original post by Rajive
Did you also dos further maths as well?

I didn't unfortunately as my sixth form didn't offer it. I almost picked a different sixth form just so I could do FM but backed out because I was familiar with the teachers/students at my sixth form of choice.
Original post by Rajive
i am predicted an A for GCSE maths this year, although maths doesn't come naturally to me, How difficult would A level maths be for me? I have asked my maths teacher and he said it was piss soo....

I enjoyed GCSE Maths and came out with an A as well as a B in Further Maths so I started AS Maths but I hated it... I dropped it after 2/3 months but I think it was based on the teacher not subject itself. I'd advise trying it - if you don't like it you can always change :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by beth_marsden
I enjoyed GCSE Maths and came out with an A as well as a B in Further Maths so I started AS Maths but I hated it... I dropped it after 2/3 months but I think it was based on the teacher not subject itself. I'd advise trying it - if you don't like it you can always change :smile:

Apart from the teacher, was the content hard?
Original post by Rajive
Apart from the teacher, was the content hard?

I think I found the content hard to understand because of the teacher but I reckon with a good teacher it shouldnt be too bad

Quick Reply

Latest