The Student Room Group

Which GCSE languages does your school offer?

My school offers Latin,Spanish and French.

Scroll to see replies

Chinese, German, Spanish and French
French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese and Mandarin.
french, german, spanish, latin, mandarin
Reply 4
Just Spanish and French now, I think they cut out German.
French, German and Latin
Reply 6
french spanish hindu tamil gujurati or punjabi. French and spanish are compulsary but some students take another language like the other three
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Chinese, German, Spanish and French

Mandarin as an additional language for native speakers or do they actually teach Mandarin to those who do not know any Mandarin?My school offers additional gcse but they do not help you they are only for natives who need to prepare themselves for the exams.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Mandarin as an additional language for native speakers or do they actually teach Mandarin to those who do not know any Mandarin?My school offers additional gcse but they do not help you they are only for natives who need to prepare themselves for the exams.

Nah it's for everyone :biggrin:, so second option. But I know like 2 people dropped it as it was quite difficult I think. Personally I do German and it's great.

Are you a native speaker?
Reply 9
My school used to offer French and Spanish... now it's just spanish because they claim 'there isn't enough french teachers about.' My school sucks.
Nah it's for everyone :biggrin:, so second option. But I know like 2 people dropped it as it was quite difficult I think. Personally I do German and it's great.

Not in Mandarin but in another language.You are very lucky your school offers mandarin I hate french but it is much better than Spanish which I dislike even more.

Not in Mandarin but in another language.You are very lucky your school offers mandarin I hate french but it is much better than Spanish which I dislike even more.I would love to do Mandarin.
French, German and Spanish, but no one ever took Spanish because it wasn't available years 7-9 or for A Level
My school offered French & German only.
Just French. The odd person does German as well, but they had to do French early, which is why I didn't apply.
only spanish & french and we weren't even allowed to choose both & they don't offer it at a-level :frown: flop
Original post by caitlinford3
only spanish & french and we weren't even allowed to choose both & they don't offer it at a-level :frown: flop

What about people who wanted to do languages at A Level? Surely that's discrimination?

If I ever have children, I'll expect them to be functionally trilingual by the time they finish secondary school. If not, I will have failed them in today's ever globalised world
German and French.
Original post by super_kawaii
What about people who wanted to do languages at A Level? Surely that's discrimination?

If I ever have children, I'll expect them to be functionally trilingual by the time they finish secondary school. If not, I will have failed them in today's ever globalised world

I've chosen a language at a-level (French - I think I'm the only person in my year who's chosen a language) and I have to go to another school. I think it's because there's only one spanish teacher and one french teacher, and between them they have to teach year 7-11, including GCSE, so it'd probably be too much to teach a-level, which sucks but I don't mind changing schools anyway
Reply 19
spanish latin french

Quick Reply

Latest