The Student Room Group

A level suggestions

Now, so far for my A levels, I have picked Economics, Law, and Business studies. I'm removing Business studies from my list of choices and I'm trying to find a subject I'll do good in and enjoy.

At the moment, I'm thinking of doing A Level Chemistry because I love science, but lots of people have told me it is a living hell and it is pointless getting the A level if you're not doing a degree in science anyway. I like the idea of Computer science (I use computers all of the time), but I don't think I would like to do it in the future (I do it at GCSE and I don't find it too easy or too hard). I would really like a Science A Level, but I really don't like physics (I know, I know, bring the hate). Really, I'm just looking for something that will look good on my applications and will open a lot of opportunities, and I have no idea what I want to do in Uni.

Thanks.
Do A Level Chemistry if you want. My best friend does A Level Chemistry and has no intention of doing a science degree - yes it is a living hell (I'm doing it and I hate it so much >.<) But don't let other people put you off from doing what you want.

So what if it's a living hell? You'll survive. And if you do find that you hate it, yiu can usually change subjects in the first few weeks or just stick it out and drop it at the end of the year.

I have no experience with computer science whatsoever though so I'm sorry I can't help you there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by nomophobia
Do A Level Chemistry if you want. My best friend does A Level Chemistry and has no intention of doing a science degree - yes it is a living hell (I'm doing it and I hate it so much >.<:wink: But don't let other people put you off from doing what you want.

So what if it's a living hell? You'll survive. And if you do find that you hate it, yiu can usually change subjects in the first few weeks or just stick it out and drop it at the end of the year.

I have no experience with computer science whatsoever though so I'm sorry I can't help you there

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for the help, is it really that hard? Does it take up all of your time?
Original post by SamSp123

people exaggerate. if you get an A* in Chemistry GCSE, you will be fine as long as you work hard, understand all the concepts and revise smartly throughout the year. If you get an A at GCSE you'll just have to do more work.
Reply 4
Original post by richpanda
people exaggerate. if you get an A* in Chemistry GCSE, you will be fine as long as you work hard, understand all the concepts and revise smartly throughout the year. If you get an A at GCSE you'll just have to do more work.

Thanks
Reply 5
I take AS Chemistry, and yes at first it is hard to get your head around the subject. But, if you stick with it and work reasonably hard at it you will improve as I and others in my class have. I also know that choosing a science (or computer science) will give you an "edge" on your other subjects, simply because it suggests you're interested/skilled in a whole other branch of education which looks attractive to universities. If you do decide to take chemistry next year I would recommend that you spend time learning the first module properly and don't panic if you don't understand it perfectly straight away. After you gain a better understanding of the module, the rest of the course slowly falls into place. If you enjoy chemistry/science, you should go for it and not be deterred from it by others. I was told not to take Physics by other students, but I went ahead anyway and I haven't regretted my decision.
Reply 6
Original post by E10D1E_17
I take AS Chemistry, and yes at first it is hard to get your head around the subject. But, if you stick with it and work reasonably hard at it you will improve as I and others in my class have. I also know that choosing a science (or computer science) will give you an "edge" on your other subjects, simply because it suggests you're interested/skilled in a whole other branch of education which looks attractive to universities. If you do decide to take chemistry next year I would recommend that you spend time learning the first module properly and don't panic if you don't understand it perfectly straight away. After you gain a better understanding of the module, the rest of the course slowly falls into place. If you enjoy chemistry/science, you should go for it and not be deterred from it by others. I was told not to take Physics by other students, but I went ahead anyway and I haven't regretted my decision.

Thanks, I guess I'll see how I do in my science exams and if I get a B or above I'll consider taking it :smile: Thanks again.
Original post by SamSp123

It's hard but it doesn't take up all my time no. I still have 3 other subjects to do so you know....

It just depends, some people find it super easy and love it but others struggle (ie me) I got an A* in GCSE chemistry and I'm getting a C in AS - but that does not mean you shouldn't take it - it just requires a bit more hard work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest