The Student Room Group

Switzerland Suspends Citizenship process for Muslim Family

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by pssee
As a muslim woman I do not make skin to skin contact with those of the opposite gender, simply because I would like to follow my religion which I hold in high regards as opposed to integrating into British society.

However, one must understand that integration does not equate to imitation, I am not willing to compromise my religion to appease and be accepted.This rule applies to both men and women in Islam.

Don't go to Switzerland then.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by QE2
And if they can't even touch the hand of a female teacher, as a child, what does that say about their future ability to integrate and interact with the society that they are attempting to gain membership of?

I do not support any kind of blanket immigration controls, but I am in favour of having certain, basic standards. Saying "I have been brought up to consider women as something socially suspect, and on questioning, confirm these views as non negotiable", fails to measure up.

You've clearly misunderstood the reason for not shaking their teacher's hand, it is not because women are regarded as "socially suspect", men and women unassociated with one another, save for in an immediate family capacity, I.e, mother, daughter, sister, brother, father, son, do not engage in skin on skin contact according to Islamic belief.

Hope that clarifies :-)
Original post by Reader106
I don't understand the big deal- just because they didn't shake a female's hand doesn't mean they can't bring any valuable substance to the world. What were they supposed to do? Integrate into a Western society immediately upon arrival? They clearly were brought up in a conservative Muslim household/society in which gender mixing wasn't their custom. Not everyone was brought up with 'western' customs it's not that big a deal

If they arent ready to integrate then they can apply for citzienship later. I cant see why the Swiss have to adapt to their values, when they didnt ask them to become citziens. If they arent ready to integrate then they arent ready to become Swiss citizens, dont understand the big deal. the problem is their and now that of the Swiss.
I'm going to add some much needed levity to this thread:

What did the muslim train conductor say?

Allah board
Reply 144
Original post by Josb
Don't go to Switzerland then.

I wasn’t planning on doing so...
but hey, thanks for the tip
Original post by Hydeman
I wonder where this recent spike in people on TSR who are so full of contempt for the West (and who can't possibly be living outside segregated communities, given the stereotypes they hold of what Western culture is like) and so full of admiration for conservative Islam is coming from. :holmes:

Well, I would argue that they have a point:

I wouldn't want to shake their hands...

Original post by BubbleBoobies
and what about my first question?

What's wrong with shaking hands?
Well in Islam we're not supposed to make physical contact with the opposite gender unless they are mahram (e.g. father, brother, uncle)
Original post by HAnwar
Well in Islam we're not supposed to make physical contact with the opposite gender unless they are mahram (e.g. father, brother, uncle)

why
If I start a business will people support me if I decide to hire no women because in some fiction books women are not held in the same regard as men?
Original post by HAnwar

Aren't you allowed to shake hands with Muslim males if they initiate the handshake themselves?
Original post by NickLCFC
Aren't you allowed to shake hands with Muslim males if they initiate the handshake themselves?

No.
Original post by HAnwar
No.

Can Muslim males shake hands with non-Muslim females if they initiate the handshake?
Original post by NickLCFC
Can Muslim males shake hands with non-Muslim females if they initiate the handshake?

No.
Original post by HAnwar
No.

Okay, thanks :smile:
Original post by HAnwar

Can you give them a high five, if they initiate it?
Original post by john2054
Can you give them a high five, if they initiate it?

Nah I would leave them hanging.
Original post by HAnwar
Nah I would leave them hanging.

Well i guess we broke your rules then?
Reply 157
Original post by HAnwar
No.

Not every Muslim follows your rules, fortunately.
Original post by john2054
Well i guess we broke your rules then?

If we didn't initiate anything back, then it's fine.
Original post by Josb
Not every Muslim follows your rules, fortunately.

Their problem.
And it's not my rules. It's the rules of their religion, so they should educate themselves about it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending