The Student Room Group

HELP! Need reasonably priced insurance for just passed 18 year old?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrpopodopalaus
I see, and what if I do get a drastically cheaper quote with a different car?
Well then you weigh up your options and decide which option you'd prefer. :smile:
Original post by Dann.It
Well then you weigh up your options and decide which option you'd prefer. :smile:

True true, thanks for the idea
This thread is a classic case of why we need laws on insurance companies pricing. That law would work something like this:
For a new driver (or any driver for that matter)who has no points or criminal convictions, an insurance company cannot charge more than £500 per year. This restriction only applies to standard cars with a certain amount of power and power to weight ratio kind of like what they do with learner motorcyclists.
Should the driver commit a crime or have a claim made by a third party on his insurance = goodby low cost insurance. It may act as an incentive for some drivers not to be an arse whether in a car or not while allowing people reasonable cost transport.
With that said I think the car as a means of personal transport has had its day. In places like London you are far better off hopping to your destination. Paying ££££s for the privilege of parking on the m25 seems a bit naff to me.
So it's your car - the 206 - and you're getting cheaper quotes by putting your dad as main driver with you as a named driver. Presumably for your dad to have his no claims he must have his own car?

Therefore presumably he won't be driving yours - only you will - meaning you can't put him as main driver. It's called fronting. Insurance companies are clamping down on it... If they find out that you're doing it you'll get your policy cancelled, which is not good at all!

If he really will be driving it more then, of course, it's not a problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shaymarriott
So it's your car - the 206 - and you're getting cheaper quotes by putting your dad as main driver with you as a named driver. Presumably for your dad to have his no claims he must have his own car?

Therefore presumably he won't be driving yours - only you will - meaning you can't put him as main driver. It's called fronting. Insurance companies are clamping down on it... If they find out that you're doing it you'll get your policy cancelled, which is not good at all!

If he really will be driving it more then, of course, it's not a problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm trying to not put him as the main driver but I really need to drive to college its beyond a joke now. But I just find it so unfair -.- I've been driving for a while in my own car as well on provisional too.

Quick Reply

Latest