The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

What happens if you fail a module?

Are you allowed to retake it or substitute it with another module?

Or is it game over and that's it? (not entirely being serious with that one)
Original post by orangetoes
Are you allowed to retake it or substitute it with another module?

Or is it game over and that's it? (not entirely being serious with that one)

If you fail the exa/EMA and get a score between 15-39% but passed the coursework then you are entitled to resit it (provided that module has resits, most do but not all). However the grade is most likely going to be capped at a basic bass (Pass 4) if you pass the resist regardless of the score you get. If you fail with less that 15% or fail both components then you either chalk it off as a fail and replace it with another module, if pathway allows, or do the entire module again but usually at a reduced price ( but to be eligible for reduced fee you must have submitted all your assignments first time around) but you need to register through SST to see if eligible for reduced price as online registrations just handles full price.

All is not lost though. Have you finished the module, worried about it whilst doing it? We all have blips and quite often it's not too late to turn it around.
Anything else you would like to ask? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Just worried really.

There is one TMA that I didn't hand in at all but that was a substitutable one. I will be handing another TMA in tomorrow but it will be late.

I just have a lot going on right now.

I need 40% to get a level 4 pass and I currently already have 36.41%. I have been fiddling around with the assessment calculator and I should still get a level 4 pass even if this late TMA isn't marked and I get a 0 for it. Assuming the assessment calculator is correct I should still pass as long as I pass the exam.

How accurate do the assessment calculators tend to be?
Original post by orangetoes
Just worried really.

There is one TMA that I didn't hand in at all but that was a substitutable one. I will be handing another TMA in tomorrow but it will be late.

I just have a lot going on right now.

I need 40% to get a level 4 pass and I currently already have 36.41%. I have been fiddling around with the assessment calculator and I should still get a level 4 pass even if this late TMA isn't marked and I get a 0 for it. Assuming the assessment calculator is correct I should still pass as long as I pass the exam.

How accurate do the assessment calculators tend to be?

Fairly accurate providing you are a good at making an estimate on your exam score but the assignment side will be accurate. There is sometimes a bit of leeway in the grade boundaries though at exam board discretion.

If you are really struggling, you could defer the module now before the exam (sometimes can bank the assignment scores you have, if you want, for a module) or just start again from scratch. There is usually a fee but it depends on how far through you are. I deferred a module a third of the way through the TMAs so when did it the following year didn't have to do the first TMA as I had 'banked' that just the remaining 2 and the exam.
Reply 4
Substituting means that as long as you hand in all your other assignments you will be given a mark for all assignments. I've used substitution before and still achieved a pass 2.

The assessment calculators are fairly accurate as long as some assignments don't have different weighting to others
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ~Tara~
Substituting means that as long as you hand in all your other assignments you will be given a mark for all assignments. I've used substitution before and still achieved a pass 2.

The assessment calculators are fairly accurate as long as some assignments don't have different weighting to others

The OU assessment calculators on module homes take into account for substitution and weighting of the TMAs for the module. :smile:
So this is very very late, but relevant.Currently registered on 2 modules, one I.T related, and another regarding change and projects at work. The latter, requires you to be in employment to successfully finish. I was in employment with a manager willing to allow me to my workplace as a context for study of the module. However, in all this COVID madness, I've been made redundant and exit the job in about a week, thus wrecking all hope of completing the module.Not only this, but i was made aware of the redundancy a week after the OUs deadline for module registration. Meaning i cannot even change this to a different module now. It's either, keep studying the module (which i will 100% fail due to redundancy if i cannot find a job soon), or deregister from the module, only study the one module this year, and loose entitlement to my much needed Maintenence grant. (2 modules a year minimum for maintenence elegibility)So to sum it up, I've been absolutely ****ed up this year by my absolute waste of a boss, who had me belive everything was fine, way past the deadline to change modules. I'm pretty sure this module will fail, but i literally cannot afford to cancell it now. That maintenence is paying a portion of my rent, and without it, and without my job, I'm literally ****ed in every way possible. Could loose my flat, and end up with absolutely nothing. (Before anyone mentions UC, they've basically told me i cannot claim as a university student)

Quick Reply

Latest