The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

90 credits could be manageable

Hello. My name is Ioana and I am 25. I am starting BSc(Honours) Computing and IT this autumn and also I am a full-time employee. I am looking forward doing 90 credits a year, but I don't know If I would manage or not. How difficult is it to undertake 90 credits instead of 60 credits a year? What would you suggest? Thanks a lot.

Scroll to see replies

Depends how much of a social life you want I guess.
If you're highly disciplined, you could do it, but if not, it could hurt your grades or just stress you out to the point of failing modules.

You could probably get away with doing it for Level 1 modules.
For example, one of the maths courses (Discover Mathematics + My Digital Life = 90 Credits)

If you're doing Essential Mathematics, could be difficult.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I am studying 120 credits, which is classed as full-time education; I work full-time 36 hours a week and balance my course-work well with everything else. You can do it if you're committed, otherwise you will fail.

Edit: If you have any questions, please message me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
{
printf("Hello all");-)
}
I too have applied to the Open University for the BSc (Honours) Computing & IT degree!
I'm glad I've found this forum as I have some questions regarding the course, course funding & the equipment you'll be using!;
I had originally planned to do this course full time (finish in 3 years) & was under the assumption that full time equated to roughly 16 hours per week study. I was advised by the OU to take 2 years to do stage 1 (part time) as it eases people in. I'd like to get it done as soon as possible.

Going by the 'detailed study plan' on the OU website; Stage 1 requires 120 credits to pass.
It looks like the first half of stage 1 is (TU100-My Digital Life/60 credits), & then the second half is split into; (TM129-Technologies in Practice/30 credits)
&
(MU123-Discovering Mathematics/30 credits)
OR
(MST124-Essential Mathematics/30 credits)

Am I right in thinking that if I was to do this full time (each stage taking 1 year, 3 total), I would be doing roughly 16 hours per week study?Completing (TU100) in the first half of the year/term, & then completing (TM129) & (MU123)/(MST124) in the second half of the year/term?
Whereas part time would be roughly 8 hours study per week & spread over 2 years; (TU100) on the first year & (TM129),(MU123)/(MST124) on the second year?

Regarding course funding;
Are you applying for a loan to pay for the course, & are you applying for any funding in regards to materials needed etc?

Regarding your equipment;
Do you all have a PC/laptop already, & if not, how are you planning on getting one (funding, buying yourself)?
:-)

PlGLET
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by kido4you
Hello. My name is Ioana and I am 25. I am starting BSc(Honours) Computing and IT this autumn and also I am a full-time employee. I am looking forward doing 90 credits a year, but I don't know If I would manage or not. How difficult is it to undertake 90 credits instead of 60 credits a year? What would you suggest? Thanks a lot.

Are you on the OU forums? Which Maths course will you be choosing? :-)

PlGLET
Original post by PlGLET
Are you on the OU forums? Which Maths course will you be choosing? :-)

PlGLET

I'll be doing Essential Mathematics. I'm doing Digital Life first, so it'll give me time to go through the material in the Discover Mathematics course (I bought the Discover Mathematics books from eBay for £30!)

Might be a bit of work, but I figure my degree would be worth more with the Essential Maths module + I may find the later parts of the course easier to deal with if my Math is better.
Reply 6
Original post by RhaegoTarg
I'll be doing Essential Mathematics. I'm doing Digital Life first, so it'll give me time to go through the material in the Discover Mathematics course (I bought the Discover Mathematics books from eBay for £30!)

Might be a bit of work, but I figure my degree would be worth more with the Essential Maths module + I may find the later parts of the course easier to deal with if my Math is better.

That's a good idea regarding the order in which you do them. I've started amassing PDF files (books) ready to print out/use! :-)

What are your qualifications in Mathematics? I completed the higher test on the OU website & passed, albeit just! I just made silly mistakes & didn't think I did too bad for no revision etc. I'll obviously be revising for the actual exams :-)

PlGLET
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PlGLET
That's a good idea regarding the order in which you do them. I've started amassing PDF files (books) ready to print out/use! :-)

What are your qualifications in Mathematics? I completed the higher test on the OU website & passed, albeit just! I just made silly mistakes & didn't think I did too bad for no revision etc. I'll obviously be revising for the actual exams :-)

PlGLET

GCSE level really.
I only got a few right on the higher test. Got all of them right on the lower, so I figure with a bit of revision, I could do the higher.
Reply 8
Original post by PlGLET
{
printf("Hello all");-)
}
I too have applied to the Open University for the BSc (Honours) Computing & IT degree!
I'm glad I've found this forum as I have some questions regarding the course, course funding & the equipment you'll be using!;
I had originally planned to do this course full time (finish in 3 years) & was under the assumption that full time equated to roughly 16 hours per week study. I was advised by the OU to take 2 years to do stage 1 (part time) as it eases people in. I'd like to get it done as soon as possible.

Going by the 'detailed study plan' on the OU website; Stage 1 requires 120 credits to pass.
It looks like the first half of stage 1 is (TU100-My Digital Life/60 credits), & then the second half is split into; (TM129-Technologies in Practice/30 credits)
&
(MU123-Discovering Mathematics/30 credits)
OR
(MST124-Essential Mathematics/30 credits)

Am I right in thinking that if I was to do this full time (each stage taking 1 year, 3 total), I would be doing roughly 16 hours per week study?Completing (TU100) in the first half of the year/term, & then completing (TM129) & (MU123)/(MST124) in the second half of the year/term?
Whereas part time would be roughly 8 hours study per week & spread over 2 years; (TU100) on the first year & (TM129),(MU123)/(MST124) on the second year?

Regarding course funding;
Are you applying for a loan to pay for the course, & are you applying for any funding in regards to materials needed etc?

Regarding your equipment;
Do you all have a PC/laptop already, & if not, how are you planning on getting one (funding, buying yourself)?

PlGLET

FT study is estimated by the OU at 32 hours a week from October to early June-ish. In practice this varies widely by student and module.
Reply 9
GCSE level really.
I only got a few right on the higher test. Got all of them right on the lower, so I figure with a bit of revision, I could do the higher.

I want to do the same as you. I would like to do MST124, but stii not sure
Reply 10
GCSE level really.

I understand both levels give us the same amount of points, but whether it'll limit our score if we go for the lower level I don't know (possibly like GCSE where lower can reach, say 70% highest mark, & to get higher we'd need to do the higher?). Also, as you say, I don't know if it'll look better on paper doing the higher. I'll email the OU today :-)

Original post by kido4you
I want to do the same as you. I would like to do MST124, but stii not sure

It sounds like we're all in the same boat! :-)

Failing this course is not an option for me so I'll be revising & making sure I understand everything. I'll be pestering the OU tutors for help/asking on TSR/whatever it takes for it to 'click'.
We can network with each other & help each other with the methods.

With all the brainpower & resources available I don't believe I/we can fail!

Regarding the first year; I believe we will get a Sense board. If you search it on YouTube you'll find plenty of videos to give you a head start on the programming side. I'd recommend the playlists by YT user "Paul Carter". As you work your way through you'll be introduced to certain mathematics methods that are really helpful! :-)

PlGLET
Reply 11
Original post by sputum
FT study is estimated by the OU at 32 hours a week from October to early June-ish. In practice this varies widely by student and module.

Cheers for clearing that up, sputum! I presume FT study & a FT job are out of the question then, unless I wanted to run myself into the ground. I suppose it'd be possible but not desirable.

PlGLET
Reply 12
MU123/MST124 email posted! I've just completed my registration by signing up to Student Finance England (website) & putting my CRN on the OU student home! I haven't chosen the Maths/Computing yet (until I get a reply) but doing the above signed me up to the TU100! :-) (I'm probably late to doing this but I thought I'd share)

PlGLET
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I haven't applied for the loan yet, just signed up to the point you have a SFE account & CRN.

PlGLET
Don't think you can sign up for part-time applications until May anyway.
Have this nightmare that I won't be accepted. Don't think it'll be an issue, but I have technically had a student loan before. No qualification gained from it as I dropped out, and according to them, I'm still eligible if this is the case.

Guess we'll see in a couple of weeks time!
Reply 15
Don't think you can sign up for part-time applications until May anyway.

Yes you're right. Apparently they'll let us know exactly how/when on the OU student home.

Have this nightmare that I won't be accepted. Don't think it'll be an issue, but I have technically had a student loan before. No qualification gained from it as I dropped out, and according to them, I'm still eligible if this is the case.

Guess we'll see in a couple of weeks time!

Good luck with your application! Unfortunately I don't know how the student loan system works. This will be my first loan for education.

PlGLET
Reply 16
Looking at the module 'TM129 Technologies in Practice'; we will be using Linux. If you would like books (PDF) on Linux then let me know. They can all be found via a search on Google.

PlGLET
Original post by PlGLET
Looking at the module 'TM129 Technologies in Practice'; we will be using Linux. If you would like books (PDF) on Linux then let me know. They can all be found via a search on Google.

PlGLET

The actual module books?
I've got an old Linux Bible, and I used to do a lot of shell work a few years ago.

Looking forward to that module actually.
Hopefully it's quite in-depth.
Reply 18
The actual module books?
I've got an old Linux Bible, and I used to do a lot of shell work a few years ago.

Looking forward to that module actually.
Hopefully it's quite in-depth.

I've got (amongst others); Linux Complete Command Reference (1500+ pages), lots of shells/bash/cookbooks etc.
I've never used Linux, hence why I'm trying to swot up on it now! :-D

PlGLET
Original post by PlGLET
I've got (amongst others); Linux Complete Command Reference (1500+ pages), lots of shells/bash/cookbooks etc.
I've never used Linux, hence why I'm trying to swot up on it now! :-D

PlGLET

What's the download link?
I'll have to check it out when I get home.

The Technologies in Practice module seems to be the best module to take with the Maths. A lot of the reviews say it's fairly straight forward. That way, you can put in a bit more time on the Mathematics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending