The Student Room Group

Any point in taking Maths as a fifth subject if I want to do Law?

I'm currently an AS student. If my AS' go well, then I'll apply to Cambridge for Law.

I was thinking about self-studying the full Maths A level over the second year as a fifth subject. I'm already doing 2 facilitating subjects (Lit and History), but I was wondering whether there'd be any point in taking Maths as a fifth subject if I don't want to do a Science course. I'd pick Maths as the fifth subject because it seems like something I could largely self-study and do well in.

Is there even a point in doing five A level subjects for Cambridge, provided that doing them would not negatively affect me?

I've heard before that the UMS was more important, but now that UMS has been scrapped and I don't know whether we'll just be applying with raw marks or nothing at all, I'm not so sure.

(FYI One of my current four subjects is a BTEC, and it involves zero exams or revision, so it's not like I'd have the workload of five A levels)

There really isn't... nothing stopping you however.
No, just focus on getting gardes as high as you can. If you know you are going to get 4A*, then use your spare time as you wish.
Reply 3
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I'm currently an AS student. If my AS' go well, then I'll apply to Cambridge for Law.

I was thinking about self-studying the full Maths A level over the second year as a fifth subject. I'm already doing 2 facilitating subjects (Lit and History), but I was wondering whether there'd be any point in taking Maths as a fifth subject if I don't want to do a Science course. I'd pick Maths as the fifth subject because it seems like something I could largely self-study and do well in.

Is there even a point in doing five A level subjects for Cambridge, provided that doing them would not negatively affect me?

I've heard before that the UMS was more important, but now that UMS has been scrapped and I don't know whether we'll just be applying with raw marks or nothing at all, I'm not so sure.

(FYI One of my current four subjects is a BTEC, and it involves zero exams or revision, so it's not like I'd have the workload of five A levels)

But it would be equivalent to a 5th & 6th subject (a full A-Level in 1 year is a lot of work). Unless you are 250% sure it won't affect your ability to get top grades in your main subjects I wouldn't recommend it.

The only thing in it's favour is Maths is always a good A-Level to have. Even lawyers should be good at it :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I imagine self-studying maths in year 13 won't give you much of an advantage, as you won't have completed any exams in it at the time you apply. Instead, I would recommend self-studying the AS in year 12 if possible, and deciding to continue with it based on how well you did. However, even that probably won't give you a particular advantage (and is certainly not worth slipping in any of your other subjects).
Original post by sweeneyrod
Instead, I would recommend self-studying the AS in year 12 if possible, and deciding to continue with it based on how well you did.

But Year 12 is almost over!
Original post by sweeneyrod
I imagine self-studying maths in year 13 won't give you much of an advantage, as you won't have completed any exams in it at the time you apply.

Do you think it would simply be possible to declare that I am self-studying it? Would I be able to say that in the absence of a predicted grade from my sixth form, I'm simply working towards an A?

I mean, taking an A level in one year isn't extremely uncommon. Universities must have experience with such situations, right?
Do you think it would simply be possible to declare that I am self-studying it? Would I be able to say that in the absence of a predicted grade from my sixth form, I'm simply working towards an A?

I mean, taking an A level in one year isn't extremely uncommon. Universities must have experience with such situations, right?

Oh sorry, I failed to read that you were currently in year 12. Definitely don't try to learn AS Maths in the month or so before exams! Yes, I think you could declare that you are self-studying it and intend to get an A (although an A at A2 won't be impressive to Cambridge), but I don't think it would give you much of an advantage -- I could say on UCAS that I plan to self-teach 20 A-levels and get 100% in all of them, but Cambridge would have little reason to trust me about that.
Reply 8

I'm not clear if the BTEC counts as two subjects or if you have another AS subject you haven't mentioned. What is the BTEC in?

As a pre-qualification application there is no value in Maths A2 over Maths AS which still generates UMS. All they can see if that you think you can do it, they cannot assess your ability in it and it reassures them you will be doing three solid subjects to achieve your offer. It doesn't really help with the course and adds minimally to the CV if you stick with Law.
Where it really scores is if you would consider a re-application with A2 results if you don't get an offer the first time, but do well at A2. Then arguably an A* at A2 has more value than an A at AS which has more value than no Maths or third traditional subject at all. However if you got a B or the workload meant you screwed up your other subjects it would be game over (for Cambridge).
Original post by Colmans
I'm not clear if the BTEC counts as two subjects or if you have another AS subject you haven't mentioned. What is the BTEC in?

The BTEC is in Applied Law. It's worth the same UCAS points as an A level. I intend to keep it as a fourth subject in my second year because it takes so little work.
The BTEC is in Applied Law. It's worth the same UCAS points as an A level. I intend to keep it as a fourth subject in my second year because it takes so little work.

So you are talking about Maths as a fourth AS and Fifth A2? You need to be strong at maths to do it in a year and get s good grade. Not impossible but you may get an offer that ignores the BTec.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
So you are talking about Maths as a fourth AS and Fifth A2? You need to be strong at maths to do it in a year and get s good grade. Not impossible but you may get an offer that ignores the BTec.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I were to go with this current plan then I would have full A levels in Maths, English Lit, History, and Government & Politics, as well as a BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (equivalent to A2) in Applied Law.

And yeah, as you said, some universities wouldn't credit the BTEC, which is what partly influences me to take A level Maths, because it is much more respected.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending