The Student Room Group

The astonishing vestigial hard right hatred of gay people

I created a thread about the recent ISIS execution of a gay guy. I was looking at different sources and one right-wing website bemoaned the fact that the left was completely silent about this. But I was totally shocked by the level of hatred in the comments against gay people. This, for example;

Let's be honest - nobody LIKES homosexuals. Not in an overall sense. Yes, they may have queer friends that they don't reject, yes they may enjoy theatrical productions & parades, etc. but they do not (as a rule) have relationships that are "best friend" relationships. No parent yearns for a homosexual offspring.

So most people find it difficult to get all worked up over what ISIS does to homosexuals today, especially when the Bible repeatedly describes death as the penalty for perverted sex acts. For the average person, it does not matter that the New Testament superseded the Old Testament; they still see that God Himself was/is not opposed to the death penalty for homosexual behavior.

We can be gracious to homosexuals as a social policy but that doesn't make homosexuals likeable or "one of us". They are deliberately deviant AND they revel in being victims of social disapproval. This makes them annoying at best and serious threats to stability at worst.

Not to mention that it isn't like ISIS is hiding anything. Everybody in areas of ISIS control knows what happens to homosexuals. If they continue their behaviors in a manner that ISIS can see, what is surprising about getting tossed off a building?

Is it the thrill of pushing the social envelope? Sure looks like it could be. Or they could just be genetically stupid., Who knows? Sad though it might be, few people care about homosexuals and their dramatic travails.

I thought the level of hatred is just mind-boggling. Even without getting into the fact that he characterises gay people through the lens of "theatrical productions and parades", as if gay people are basically only involved in creative fields. I have a friend who is gay and is an army officer in a regular infantry battalion. In fact, all my gay friends are in fields that have nothing to do with sexuality or the arts. And my best mate is straight.

What was also interesting was the way this idiot talked about how they (as if he speaks for a long-suffering silent majority) are tolerating homosexuals and being gracious towards them (which apparently includes cheering on their murder), as if the situation now isn't pretty much reversed and it is his kind who are viewed with unmitigated contempt by mainstream society. Incredible that his hatred for gay people would be so intense as to cause him to justify and defend America's enemy.

Anyway, I thought it was worth posting as the left gets a pasting on its Islamic aplogist behaviour and rightly so, but it also seems there are still people on the right who also hold such views.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
I created a thread about the recent ISIS execution of a gay guy. I was looking at different sources and one right-wing website bemoaned the fact that the left was completely silent about this. But I was totally shocked by the level of hatred in the comments against gay people. This, for example;

I thought the level of hatred is just mind-boggling. Even without getting into the fact that he characterises gay people through the lens of "theatrical productions and parades", as if gay people are basically only involved in creative fields. I have a friend who is gay and is an army officer in a regular infantry battalion. In fact, all my gay friends are in fields that have nothing to do with sexuality or the arts. And my best mate is straight.

What was also interesting was the way this idiot talked about how they (as if he speaks for a long-suffering silent majority) are tolerating homosexuals and being gracious towards them (which apparently includes cheering on their murder), as if the situation now isn't pretty much reversed and it is his kind who are viewed with unmitigated contempt by mainstream society. Incredible that his hatred for gay people would be so intense as to cause him to justify and defend America's enemy.

Anyway, I thought it was worth posting as the left gets a pasting on its Islamic aplogist behaviour and rightly so, but it also seems there are still people on the right who also hold such views.

Religious fanatics! Are you surprised?

Posted from TSR Mobile
All right wingers are not like this but I understand why you are disturbed; as it is right to be. Sadly there are people in every kind of ideology that has irrational hatred; I think it's more that they've found a little group that they feel they belong in and they need an 'enemy' that they can bond over.
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was, to be fair.

Even amongst very conservative Southern Baptist kind of Christians in America, they usually go for the "love the sinner, hate the sin" kind of position. But it does seem there are still individuals who are driven almost insane with hatred for gay people.
I was, to be fair.

Even amongst very conservative Southern Baptist kind of Christians in America, they usually go for the "love the sinner, hate the sin" kind of position. But it does seem there are still individuals who are driven almost insane with hatred for gay people.

Southern baptists in America? Have you heard of the Westboro Baptist Church?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Let's be honest - nobody LIKES religious people

Very sharp :lol: Gemmed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not all Christian fanatics are like this; it's just the few like this make us look bad
Reply 7
You're a religious fanatic? Do explain because I don't think you understand that word

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
You're a religious fanatic? Do explain because I don't think you understand that word

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to God, that all other religion is false. I believe that anyone who doesn't believe in Christ is going to hell. I hold typical right wing views such as supporting the death penalty and I oppose abortion and gay marriage. I believe all sex outside of marriage is a sin and I am remaining a virgin for that reason. I abstain from alcohol, smoking and drugs for the same reasons. I try my best to make monetary donations to humanitarian charities and contribute to the community at large by doing voluntary work. I pray every day and attend Church at various times throughout the year.

By the standards of most white non-Christians in the uk I probably would be considered fanatical
Original post by RobML

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmfao I was about to say the same. I don't think they realise that "fanatic" is not a word you want to be associated with.

:rofl:
Very true. I think for many people of that ilk, they either need to feel a sense of power from being in the majority and having an "out group" they can hate and derive pleasure from denying them rights, or else these sort of people have a need to feel persecuted and oppressed, and to revel in it.

I think you see the same dichotomous behaviour from Islamic religious fanatics. Either they are acting as a very overbearing majority, or else they depict themselves as being oppressed and persecuted, a martyr for the cause.

But I do know most right-wingers aren't like this. Probably a majority of my friends are broadly on the centre-right (though socially liberal and come from a more atheistic, classical liberalism and freedom of enterprise kind-of viewpoint), and the few that are socially conservative in that way are not at all bigoted, we simply disagree on certain subjects like gay marriage but not on the question of whether gay people are people and should have all the basic rights and civil partnerships
The word fanatic can be substituted with zealot or extremist!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The word fanatic can be substituted with zealot or extremist!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Zealous Christians would be at theological/ bible college training to become ministers or pastors. I'm just an ordinary working class/ university student really
You really should open a dictionary because I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say.
Very true. I think for many people of that ilk, they either need to feel a sense of power from being in the majority and having an "out group" they can hate and derive pleasure from denying them rights, or else these sort of people have a need to feel persecuted and oppressed, and to revel in it.

I think you see the same dichotomous behaviour from Islamic religious fanatics. Either they are acting as a very overbearing majority, or else they depict themselves as being oppressed and persecuted, a martyr for the cause.

But I do know most right-wingers aren't like this. Probably a majority of my friends are broadly on the centre-right (though socially liberal and come from a more atheistic, classical liberalism and freedom of enterprise kind-of viewpoint), and the few that are socially conservative in that way are not at all bigoted, we simply disagree on certain subjects like gay marriage but not on the question of whether gay people are people and should have all the basic rights and civil partnerships

If I could upvote you again I would
Reply 15
Feeling enough pity for the suffering folk of the third world to donate money towards them, but yet telling yourself they're evil and deserve to burn in hell? If you genuinely believed what you do, wouldn't it be more helpful to try and convert them to the "one true religion"? Surely it's a sin to allow such preventable great suffering?
Also, why do you believe it's the one true religion in the first place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
You really should open a dictionary because I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say.

So what would you consider a Christian extremist then? Those mentioned in the OP?
Original post by RobML
Feeling enough pity for the suffering folk of the third world to donate money towards them, but yet telling yourself they're evil and deserve to burn in hell? If you genuinely believed what you do, wouldn't it be more helpful to try and convert them to the "one true religion"?
Also, why do you believe it's the one true religion in the first place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what missionaries do; the ones appointed by God to go to these places and spread the light of Christ to those people. I am not one of those special 'called' people so I'm more than happy to stay in the UK and contribute to them and other charities financially.

It's hard to explain; the best way I can say it is that I have a personal relationship with Jesus wherein I recognise that I am a sinner and I have sinned; and I repented and accepted him into my life when I was 16.
Southern baptists in America? Have you heard of the Westboro Baptist Church?

Ah yes, I do indeed know about them. The Westboro Baptist Church is not part of the Southern Baptist mainstream, but they do represen the vestiges of the intolerance of that strain of Christianity.
Ah thanks dude :smile: Much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest