The Student Room Group

Best resources to self-teach Maths?

Looks like I'll be self-teaching Edexcel Maths, AS and A2.

What are the best textbooks to use when I won't have access to a teacher? And how important is it that it's a recent publication? I would imagine that the specification has remained largely the same for a while, so would that mean that I would be alright using older ones?

Original post by Abstract_Prism

What are the best textbooks to use when I won't have access to a teacher? And how important is it that it's a recent publication? I would imagine that the specification has remained largely the same for a while, so would that mean that I would be alright using older ones?

These
Edexcel AS and A Level Modular Mathematics: Core Mathematics 1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0435519107/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_Zdhgxb6A0VS2C

One book for each of the six units, you can pick used ones up on eBay quite cheaply once the exams are over.

There are some printing errors in the M1 book that are irritating but not so many that I wouldn't recommend it as the best single resource. Other more general texts such as those by Bostock and Chandler are great for extending knowledge and are arguably better preparation for unexpected questions BUT as they are not specifically matched to the specification they may not be the best solution for someone self studying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
These
Edexcel AS and A Level Modular Mathematics: Core Mathematics 1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0435519107/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_Zdhgxb6A0VS2C

One book for each of the six units, you can pick used ones up on eBay quite cheaply once the exams are over.

There are some printing errors in the M1 book that are irritating but not so many that I wouldn't recommend it as the best single resource. Other more general texts such as those by Bostock and Chandler are great for extending knowledge and are arguably better preparation for unexpected questions BUT as they are not specifically matched to the specification they may not be the best solution for someone self studying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM

Thanks! The only thing is that that book is 8 years old. Are you sure it's still suitable for the current specification?
Yes
I use them for teaching every day.
The specification has not changed for most units since 2004. These books have clear explanations, numerous examples and loads of practice exercises, chapter reviews and exam practice questions that make them ideal for self study.
There is nothing published more recently and matched to the specification that is better though some may be cheaper if you are on a tight budget.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Also, you could try www.examsolutions.net :yep:
It has videos for every topic you need. Extremely helpful imo :yy:
Reply 5
PRSOM

Thanks! The only thing is that that book is 8 years old. Are you sure it's still suitable for the current specification?

Print out the specification and you will be able to see exactly what you do or do not need to learn.

Original post by gdunne42
Yes
I use them for teaching every day.
The specification has not changed for most units since 2004. These books have clear explanations, numerous examples and loads of practice exercises, chapter reviews and exam practice questions that make them ideal for self study.
There is nothing published more recently and matched to the specification that is better though some may be cheaper if you are on a tight budget.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheaper still is to...acquire...PDF versions of the books and then either use them that way or print them out.

Original post by Hamoody
Also, you could try www.examsolutions.net :yep:
It has videos for every topic you need. Extremely helpful imo :yy:

Examsolutions is excellent - so far it has been essentially the only thing I have used :lol:

I'm starting to reach parts that have not been covered though so will have to find someone else making videos :moon:

Quick Reply

Latest