The Student Room Group

Has anyone actually had the worst university experience?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asif007
I actually had an OK time in the 4 years I spent at uni. I really enjoyed my course, made a lot of good friends and went to social events a fair bit even though I don't drink. I had a good grip of the course content (despite missing the odd lecture - I'm really not a morning person!) and was passing exams comfortably. However, all that changed at the end of my third year when I failed an exam and was asked to repeat the year. I did so without any complaints and actually enjoyed doing all the work a second time. But when I failed the same exam again and was asked to leave, I finally found out what a horrible experience the whole 4 years at uni were.

All my colleagues from uni (except for one very good friend) turned their backs on me and pretended that I didn't even exist after I stopped turning up to uni. Some of the people I worked with closely last year and who I called my friends are living in the same apartment block as me but literally ignore me if I pass them in the street. I have done nothing to them, what gives them the right to treat me so rudely? I am still living in my uni city as I have no home to return to. I can't transfer to another course or uni as I'm too far into this degree for them to let me start a new one (for some crazy reason that means I'm not good enough for another degree despite my A-Level grades and previous experience). On top of that, I had to find out the hard way that the counseling service at this uni won't see me because I'm not studying at the moment, even though I am still registered with uni. What a bunch of t****.

So long story short, uni in the UK has been a nightmare. I couldn't pass one exam despite how hard I worked, and even though I had never put a foot wrong before (I passed every other assessment except this one), according to them all my hard work counts for nothing and I am of a poor standard. They couldn't be more wrong. I'm now faced with having to go abroad to finish my degree at some **** university which may take me another 4-5 years, after which the job prospects in this country look awful with a degree from abroad. This year away from uni (even though I'm living right next door to it) has been the worst year of my life - no support from friends or parents and having to suffer in silence up to this point. I was taking medication for anxiety even though it doesn't help, and I was so angry I wanted to butcher these people to death with an axe for how they treated me. So even though I enjoyed the 4 years I spent there, I wish none of it had ever happened because I worked so hard and got **** in return. Hopefully now I'll be moving onto a place where my hard work gets some recognition. I might be permanently unemployed in my field afterwards, but at least I will have finished what I started.

I'm really sorry to hear this, i can imagine how hard it probably is. Do you know what the reason it was that you failed your exams? Lack of revision? Not good revision Strategy?
Original post by moment of truth
Nah, it's different. Much closer to home, this time around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I had that choice haha
Original post by intoxycated
I'm really sorry to hear this, i can imagine how hard it probably is. Do you know what the reason it was that you failed your exams? Lack of revision? Not good revision Strategy?

I wish I had that choice haha

I'm curious - why do you immediately assume I failed because of lack of revision or strategy? I'm not doing A-Levels, it's a serious university course. I know how to revise properly, hence how I made it this far into my course by passing some pretty difficult exams. If you read my account properly, you'll see that I mentioned how I really enjoyed doing all the work a second time. I put months of solid dedication into my revision, hence why I passed all the other assessments which were more difficult than the one I failed. And let me emphasise - it was one exam, not exams. I didn't fail everything like you seem to imply.

If you must know, I failed this one assessment (a practical exam) because it was totally arbitrary and unrelated to anything we had been taught. The content was taught in a certain way, we were told to practise the same topics for the exam, but the questions and mark schemes on the real exam were totally different to what we had been taught. It's also worth mentioning that I passed every practise exam for this assessment (I had done several since months before the real thing) but wasn't allowed to pass for doing exactly the same routines in the real thing. That tells me I was deceived by my university and kicked out on a technicality. You work out for yourself why I might have failed, but it certainly wasn't because of exam technique or revision.
Yeah this surprises me, it's one of the best in the country for student experience and all that stuff. I have had a lovely time. Wouldn't let one opinion deter you either Hunnybeebee.
Counting down the days to go home again. I have around 16 left which is still quite long.

I'm feeling very lonely and isolated again.. there really isn't very much to do here (at least that doesn't cost money) and even if there was, i'd like company. Groups are mostly only on a Wednesday so..

Anyway, there's not much for me to do here. I have alot of free time, I spend about 4 hours studying a day and I still have too much free time. It is very boring here. I don't have any idea what I could really do here that would pass a few hours by.. the only thing that i've done is shop but that's expensive and gets boring.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thenationalhealth
Yeah this surprises me, it's one of the best in the country for student experience and all that stuff. I have had a lovely time. Wouldn't let one opinion deter you either Hunnybeebee.

Well everyone has different opinions, yours isn't always right. Personally, I've found it very boring here, I have alot of free time and even after studying relentlessly I still often have to find things to fill my time with.

Maybe the clubs are the reason why the rankings are so high here. There isn't much to do for people who don't drink.
(edited 8 years ago)
Its had its ups and downs. First year was hard because of the new experience and randomness of people you meet, so alot of relationships didnt mean anything geniuine. And also the accomodation in the city centre is expensive so you always have to live 100 miles away if you want to live somewhere cheap. Second year (this year) has been much better. Learning from mistakes the previous year slowly but surely and also trying harder/being more dynamic academicaly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
You create your own experience while at Uni. There's so many options so don't complain.
I don't agree. I think it's also related to the dynamics of the people on your course and whether or not they are interseted in making any friends. I am personally on a foundation year and have been told that next year will be very different. I don't know..

I hate it when people say 'it's what you make of it' like I didn't go out there and make an effort...
Original post by Abolant
You create your own experience while at Uni. There's so many options so don't complain.

I do have to agree with that. I could have had an even better experience at UEA if I'd done more of the social stuff but I sometimes shied away from it. Your personality and who you are will dictate how well you do. You can't expect everything to come to you - good grades, lots of friends, social life, etc. Sorry Frostyjoe, not what you want to hear, but the support is there if you seek it out.
Again probably something to do withthe fact that i'm on a foundation year..
Reply 50
Original post by Frostyjoe
Again probably something to do withthe fact that i'm on a foundation year..

I'm on a foundation year but I've made the most of it and enjoyed myself so far. Semester 2 was probably one of the best experiences of my life.
Original post by goodwinning
I'm on a foundation year but I've made the most of it and enjoyed myself so far. Semester 2 was probably one of the best experiences of my life.

I'm asking for those who haven't had an enjoyable experience
I was at university and dropped out. But I realised everyone around me there loved uni and made so many close friends and I didn't. I had the worst experience ever and went through too much at university which made me drop out. I will go back again this year so I was looking at threads of people who've had a really crappy experience. I couldn't find much.

I thought it would be a good idea to find people who I can relate to but it seems impossible.

University for me was a series of the worst possible scenarios I could come in. No friends, moving halls and ending up with really bad flatmates again for the second time, being bullied by course mates, not having anyone to go to or rely, spending the whole time in my room whilst other people had the time of their lives. If you don't understand how I feel than consider yourself blessed.

TYPO IN TITLE - HAD*
You're uni experience sounds A LOT like mine; I was at a good uni and thought that everything was going to be fine, but then the bullying started with my flatmates- they would have conversations about me and make fun of me in the flat when they new I was there and sometimes they would do so right outside my door.- At night too. My parents even intervened by speaking to the ring leader, but that just made it worse. Threats to tamper door my food was the last straw, so I reported it to the uni (formally), and I moved to another halls. That was much better than my other halls in the beginning; the flatmates seemed much more welcoming, and I made good friends with an international student from America- something I didn't get the the chance to at my old flat because they weren't very nice people.

But soon my other flatmate (there were only three of us) was hell to live with, and she would bring a gang of boys over. They would mess up our communal area, get drunk and do some disgusting stuff (all at random hours of the morning, which really started to annoy my other flatmate and I). This even happened at exam season, despite the halls having rules about noise etc for those weeks.

And if I thought it couldn't get any worse, the flatmate and her friends knew the other people that I lived with before and she started treating me weirdly, and her mates started harassing me; banging on my door and purposely doing stuff outside of it in order to wake me up and coax me out of my room.- This mostly happened when my other flatmate was away.

I eventually got through exam season and finished the year, but after that I didn't want to go back- especially when the uni did nor do anything about the bullying, despite their so-called "zero-tolerance" policy.

On top of that, I ended up failing one of my classes (despite working so hard on it), so I didn't pass the year.

I find that whenever I get asked abour my time at uni (and when I was at uni), I always felt awkward and didn't know how ro explain what I felt about it because I couldn't see what was particularly good about it...I guess the best things were my course, coursemates and meeting my American friend- we cried and hugged when we said goodbye. :smile: The independence was also good; I loved the feeling of going out to get my shopping, late night study sessions in the library, the relief I felt after completing essay assignments after spending days on them, and I especially loved the feeling of travelling too and from home, across the country on the train by myself.
(edited 8 years ago)
My uni messed up my Masters award ceremony: I'd got a Distinction for my Long Study, but was 0.4% below the 70% boundary for average grades, required to get an overall Distinction. I'd challenged it, and asked to be reconsidered for a Distinction. Months later, at the award ceremony, with my family and kids having travelled to attend, the Chancellor gave me a piece of paper saying 'we're unable to award your Masters degree today due to admin processes.'

Really messed up the day, although they apologised profusely, and invited me to attend a subsequent award ceremony. I didn't get the overall Distinction, and I didn't return for another award ceremony.
Original post by paradiddlepad
You're uni experience sounds A LOT like mine; I was at a good uni and thought that everything was going to be fine, but then the bullying started with my flatmates- they would have conversations about me and make fun of me in the flat when they new I was there and sometimes they would do so right outside my door.- At night too. My parents even intervened by speaking to the ring leader, but that just made it worse. Threats to tamper door my food was the last straw, so I reported it to the uni (formally), and I moved to another halls. That was much better than my other halls in the beginning; the flatmates seemed much more welcoming, and I made good friends with an international student from America- something I didn't get the the chance to at my old flat because they weren't very nice people.

But soon my other flatmate (there were only three of us) was hell to live with, and she would bring a gang of boys over. They would mess up our communal area, get drunk and do some disgusting stuff (all at random hours of the morning, which really started to annoy my other flatmate and I). This even happened at exam season, despite the halls having rules about noise etc for those weeks.

And if I thought it couldn't get any worse, the flatmate and her friends knew the other people that I lived with before and she started treating me weirdly, and her mates started harassing me; banging on my door and purposely doing stuff outside of it in order to wake me up and coax me out of my room.- This mostly happened when my other flatmate was away.

I eventually got through exam season and finished the year, but after that I didn't want to go back- especially when the uni did nor do anything about the bullying, despite their so-called "zero-tolerance" policy.

On top of that, I ended up failing one of my classes (despite working so hard on it), so I didn't pass the year.

I find that whenever I get asked abour my time at uni (and when I was at uni), I always felt awkward and didn't know how ro explain what I felt about it because I couldn't see what was particularly good about it...I guess the best things were my course, coursemates and meeting my American friend- we cried and hugged when we said goodbye. :smile: The independence was also good; I loved the feeling of going out to get my shopping, late night study sessions in the library, the relief I felt after completing essay assignments after spending days on them, and I especially loved the feeling of travelling too and from home, across the country on the train by myself.

this makes me feel a lot better but i am sorry you've been through a lot. If you won't go back are you going to another uni?
Reply 55
Sometimes I'd say that I enjoy uni and then sometimes I'd say that I don't. I really enjoy my course despite the high workload and get on really well with people on my course. I love my campus as well. It's just the life outside of my course that hasn't been great. I lived in halls for first year and it wasn't what I expected at all. My flatmates weren't interested in going out for freshers and everyone seemed to have formed their cliqués by day 2 so I barely met anyone at all during freshers, despite making an effort to talk to people. Over the year I just gradually started to give up and started to isolate myself in my room. In second year I met some new people and joined a new friendship group which was really great at first but then people started to clash and argue and there was a hostile atmosphere. I've just found that I've not really met any people, outside of my course, who are like me. A lot of people seem to be really social, with loads of friends and come from a middle class background whilst I like to have time to myself sometimes, come from a working class background but still like to have people to talk to and go out with.

I'm now nearing the end of my second year and I feel pretty fed up. I still love my course and spending time with people on my course, it's just when I come back to my house that I feel rubbish. The people in my new friendship group like to talk all the time and spend loads of time together after uni whereas I feel like I need some time to myself to do work, etc. and I end up feeling like everyone thinks I'm weird and antisocial. I have lost so much confidence in myself since starting university and have developed pretty bad anxiety, I'm even starting to think that I've developed some social anixety. It's really strange because I'm fine when I'm actually at university, but when I'm at home in the evening I feel pretty lonely. I guess I'm just really sad that I haven't met any people like me and haven't had the amazing time I thought I would and when I see people having the best time at university I feel pretty upset.
Original post by Phoque
Sometimes I'd say that I enjoy uni and then sometimes I'd say that I don't. I really enjoy my course despite the high workload and get on really well with people on my course. I love my campus as well. It's just the life outside of my course that hasn't been great. I lived in halls for first year and it wasn't what I expected at all. My flatmates weren't interested in going out for freshers and everyone seemed to have formed their cliqués by day 2 so I barely met anyone at all during freshers, despite making an effort to talk to people. Over the year I just gradually started to give up and started to isolate myself in my room. In second year I met some new people and joined a new friendship group which was really great at first but then people started to clash and argue and there was a hostile atmosphere. I've just found that I've not really met any people, outside of my course, who are like me. A lot of people seem to be really social, with loads of friends and come from a middle class background whilst I like to have time to myself sometimes, come from a working class background but still like to have people to talk to and go out with.

I'm now nearing the end of my second year and I feel pretty fed up. I still love my course and spending time with people on my course, it's just when I come back to my house that I feel rubbish. The people in my new friendship group like to talk all the time and spend loads of time together after uni whereas I feel like I need some time to myself to do work, etc. and I end up feeling like everyone thinks I'm weird and antisocial. I have lost so much confidence in myself since starting university and have developed pretty bad anxiety, I'm even starting to think that I've developed some social anixety. It's really strange because I'm fine when I'm actually at university, but when I'm at home in the evening I feel pretty lonely. I guess I'm just really sad that I haven't met any people like me and haven't had the amazing time I thought I would and when I see people having the best time at university I feel pretty upset.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I just wanted to say that I think it is harder for people from working class backgrounds when going to uni - particularly the top unis. They're stuffed full of middle class people who act quite differently. Took me a long time to feel more comfortable in these environments, and I'm still not there, entirely.

I feel like unis, as well as BME, women's, LGBT+, and disability committees, should have a people from lower seocio-economic backgrounds grouping as well. We're a massively under-represented minority, and talking to people about, it seems we often find university challenging as a result.
this makes me feel a lot better but i am sorry you've been through a lot. If you won't go back are you going to another uni?
I went back to college to improve my A-Level grades because during the summer the other unis that did my course wouldn't let me transfer; one didn't accept my 2:2 overall grade, and the other stopped accepting transfers the previous year. I have re-applied to UCAS this year hoping to go to a better uni and one where I can live at home.
I had bad flatmates first year, but i'm kind of a **** and like to stand my ground got into tonnes of arguments. On top of that I had serious trouble making friends on my course, just soldiered through though. Left uni with a longing for all of the friends I made, I think alot of people suffer with these adjustment issues and without sounding like a prick dropping out was a miatake. We're waaaay too coddled nowadays being encouragement to just give up is becoming far too commonplace.
Original post by Phoque

Original post by TruckBear
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I just wanted to say that I think it is harder for people from working class backgrounds when going to uni - particularly the top unis. They're stuffed full of middle class people who act quite differently. Took me a long time to feel more comfortable in these environments, and I'm still not there, entirely.

I feel like unis, as well as BME, women's, LGBT+, and disability committees, should have a people from lower seocio-economic backgrounds grouping as well. We're a massively under-represented minority, and talking to people about, it seems we often find university challenging as a result.

The working class things you guys have been saying makes so much sense. you're right, the middle class do act differently and i just don't know how to click with them and don't really understand their banter.

It's a sad life isn't it

Quick Reply

Latest