The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moonstruck16
It a position that I just have. That is my justification. If you can change my opinion then great but right now, I only have one reaction.

That's not justification; that's you admitting you don't have any justification :s-smilie: Seriously, think about why you believe what you do. If you can't see any reason to believe it, it's irrational to believe it by the definition of rationality!

What position do you suggest I hold then? Your one? Because I don't have a justification for that either.

Well I'm not sure, unfortunately I don't have many answers. However, I think an ideal justice system would focus very much on the suffering of the population it manages. 'Retributive justice' (i.e. causing suffering to criminals for its own sake) would not feature, since it increases the net suffering for no consistent reason. Instead, important factors would be how we can protect the public from truly dangerous criminals, and how (or if) we can get other criminals to well, stop being criminals!

I think I've provided some level of justification, but how far back should we go? We have to start somewhere, otherwise we'd end up in an infinite loop where the premises of every justification are hit with another request for justification. And so on.

Anyway, I inputed, that's it. Why aren't you 'trying to open up a debate' with all the other people on this thread who don't hold your position? The person who suggested sending them to a rubbish island may like to argue with you. I can quote them in if you can't find them and you can have some banter with them.

Do I have to? I responded to your post in particular because I got a notification from that page and thought what you said was interesting. I haven't read this whole thread, and I don't intend to - I wouldn't get anything else done!

If you don't want to have a discussion that is 100% okay and no one will judge you for it (or I won't, at least). But I don't think it's reasonable to make out that the people questioning you on your position are somehow being rude or unfair for doing so.

Also, how is telling someone to get on a plane any way to open up a debate or respons to someone 'in a justified way'.

I don't know who said that but it doesn't sound very constructive, no! :holmes:
Original post by Implication
That's not justification; that's you admitting you don't have any justification :s-smilie: Seriously, think about why you believe what you do. If you can't see any reason to believe it, it's irrational to believe it by the definition of rationality!

Well I'm not sure, unfortunately I don't have many answers. However, I think an ideal justice system would focus very much on the suffering of the population it manages. 'Retributive justice' (i.e. causing suffering to criminals for its own sake) would not feature, since it increases the net suffering for no consistent reason. Instead, important factors would be how we can protect the public from truly dangerous criminals, and how (or if) we can get other criminals to well, stop being criminals!

I think I've provided some level of justification, but how far back should we go? We have to start somewhere, otherwise we'd end up in an infinite loop where the premises of every justification are hit with another request for justification. And so on.

Do I have to? I responded to your post in particular because I got a notification from that page and thought what you said was interesting. I haven't read this whole thread, and I don't intend to - I wouldn't get anything else done!

If you don't want to have a discussion that is 100% okay and no one will judge you for it (or I won't, at least). But I don't think it's reasonable to make out that the people questioning you on your position are somehow being rude or unfair for doing so.

I don't know who said that but it doesn't sound very constructive, no! :holmes:

I will hold my position because I can't justify another one to be better from my point of view.

I never said they were. I just have better things to do right now like worry about more important things. Anyone who has strong views would be better off arguing them to someone else who preferably cares more. They'll gain more from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
No. You can never be entirely certain that you're not making a mistake. Ever.
Original post by BlueSam3
No. You can never be entirely certain that you're not making a mistake. Ever.

Can be said about anything in life.
Reply 84
I have no issue with evil scum being killed, honestly guys, not one part of my heart dies, I don't cry myself to sleep, I don't feel the loss of a human life, it does not touch me in the soul, I don't expect you guys to understand.

Original post by Matrix123
Nope - I don't think the death penalty is right:no:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by QueenBee98
I personally believe it's wrong - wouldn't killing someone as a punishment for killing someone else make us just as bad as they are???

I think they should be left in prison for the rest of their lives and made to feel the guilt and anguish that they have caused.

but that's just me :laugh:

Original post by senpaipoppy
Nope - I think it's wrong. It isn't just and fair to kill someone, it doesn't bring closure to the victim's family, it pretty much doesn't do anything it's meant to do

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
No. It's immoral, hypocritical, exorbitantly expensive, and ineffective at what it's supposed to do.
Original post by BlackHorseRoad
Can be said about anything in life.

But usually, the stakes aren't you intentionally killing an innocent person.
Reply 86
Nope. To commit a crime to punish crime is the most hypocritical thing I've ever heard. Plus it tells children that revenge is okay, which is wrong. It doesn't deter people and just leads to more extreme and disgusting crime being committed, due to the fact that people now have to cover up their crimes to live.
I'm not totally opposed to the idea of the death penalty for extreme cases, genocide for example (such as the Nazis after the Second World War), but I wouldn't support it for crimes like murder.
I'd be happy enough if life actually meant life & prisons weren't so cushy. It sounds like prisoners almost run the prisons themselves due to corruption & drug/phone smuggling.
Original post by Omen96
I have no issue with evil scum being killed, honestly guys, not one part of my heart dies, I don't cry myself to sleep, I don't feel the loss of a human life, it does not touch me in the soul, I don't expect you guys to understand.

0/10
'Causing distress to the criminals family' is not sufficient. If someone is a serial killer and/or rapist, are the family going to want to have anything to do with such a person?

When it came out about Saville the family trashed the gravestone in disgust.

I think the death penalty should be allowed, but reserved for only the very worst criminals, such as serial killers/rapists/paedophiles. People who are unable to be reformed. Such crimes would have to be proved beyond all doubt, so innocents aren't mistakenly executed.

In the instance of a single murder the criminal should be given life imprisonment (meaning life!).

As for those who are trotting out the money claim, this too is insufficient. If a government was so inclined, they could orchestrate the assassination of those to be put to death, without handing out a death sentence publicly. Cheaper than the legal quagmire of death row appeals. Admittedly this is an extreme scenario, but certainly possible.
Or more realistically, possibly create an act/bill/law (I'm not an expert...) that states a person gives up their human rights when found guilty of murder, and cannot appeal, making executions a whole lot cheaper. Something like that anyway. :wink:
Original post by muslimstanisyed
You are soft thats why.
If someone nonced off your daughter you would probably do nothing about it

1. I don't have a daughter
2. Sentencing is not decided on by emotionally involved parties because they can't make rational judgements. The courts make objective decisions.

Original post by Moonstruck16
Look mate. He stated his opinion and that's it. Whilst you may not appreciate his opinion, it was not directed at you and you had no reason to reply like a ****. This thread is asking for opinions and this person didn't try to start a debate with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah he stated his opinion and if someone has a ridiculous opinion I'll call them out on it. Besides, what I said is true; Saudi Arabia execute for those crimes so I thought he'd feel more at home there.

Original post by LifeIsAnIllusion
'Causing distress to the criminals family' is not sufficient. If someone is a serial killer and/or rapist, are the family going to want to have anything to do with such a person?

It's idea of unconditional love, parents will generally love their children no matter what they do.?

I think the death penalty should be allowed, but reserved for only the very worst criminals, such as serial killers/rapists/paedophiles. People who are unable to be reformed. Such crimes would have to be proved beyond all doubt, so innocents aren't mistakenly executed.

1. How do you know you can't reform a serial murderer or rapist?
2. You can't prove anything 'beyond all doubt' - if we bring back capital punishment, innocent people will die.

In the instance of a single murder the criminal should be given life imprisonment (meaning life!).

This another example of you demonstrating a lack of understanding of the purpose of the justice system. It's there to rehabilitate; if you tell someone they're never leaving prison how do you think that's going to rehabilitate them.

As for those who are trotting out the money claim, this too is insufficient. If a government was so inclined, they could orchestrate the assassination of those to be put to death, without handing out a death sentence publicly. Cheaper than the legal quagmire of death row appeals. Admittedly this is an extreme scenario, but certainly possible.
Or more realistically, possibly create an act/bill/law (I'm not an expert...) that states a person gives up their human rights when found guilty of murder, and cannot appeal, making executions a whole lot cheaper. Something like that anyway. :wink:

This is possibility the most ridiculous proposal I've ever heard. Yes the government could have people killed but we have courts for a reason, they decide on sentencing not the government. It really isn't possible, we live in a western democracy not Saddam's Iraq.

You're not legally educated so I'm not going to get into why such an act couldn't and wouldn't happen but it couldn't and wouldn't happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Underscore__
1. I don't have a daughter
2. Sentencing is not decided on by emotionally involved parties because they can't make rational judgements. The courts make objective decisions.

Yeah he stated his opinion and if someone has a ridiculous opinion I'll call them out on it. Besides, what I said is true; Saudi Arabia execute for those crimes so I thought he'd feel more at home there.

It's idea of unconditional love, parents will generally love their children no matter what they do.?

1. How do you know you can reform a serial murderer or rapist?
2. You can't prove anything 'beyond all doubt' - if we bring back capital punishment, innocent people will die.

This another example of you demonstrating a lack of understanding of the purpose of the justice system. It's there to rehabilitate; if you tell someone they're never leaving prison how do you think that's going to rehabilitate them.

This is possibility the most ridiculous proposal I've ever heard. Yes the government could have people killed but we have courts for a reason, they decide on sentencing not the government. It really isn't possible, we live in a western democracy not Saddam's Iraq.

You're not legally educated so I'm not going to get into why such an act couldn't and wouldn't happen but it couldn't and wouldn't happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad you're never gonna be in charge
Reply 92
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
0/10

I don't understand, I meant every word? I honestly don't give a **** if a criminal was killed, why is this hard to believe?

. Such crimes would have to be proved beyond all doubt, so innocents aren't mistakenly executed.

Well, the entire point is that you send people to when it is beyond a reasonable doubt.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm against the death penalty, but for epistemic reasons rather than believing in the intrinsic sanctity of life or anything like that. In theory, I'd say that the death penalty ought to be used when a) a crime has been committed; b) there is no chance of rehabilitation and reintroduction to society; c) the criminal's existence in society would create further detriment to society; d) the criminal cannot themselves expect to have exceptional quality of life within the confines of that which the goals of protection of society and deterrence permit; and e) using the death penalty does not in this particular case create large other social costs, financial or otherwise.

The problem is two-fold: first, stating that a) is true is quite a stretch for any given crime purported to have been committed (of course, a 'guilty' verdict being, at least to some extent, a legal fiction of certainty); and second, it is almost impossible to measure social impact of various outcomes in the ways necessary for b) - e).
Glad you're never gonna be in charge

Why's that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Sure.

If someone murders 100 people and there is video footage of it then you can hardly give a false verdict imo. I guess the law would have to be very strict and say it only applies if the person can be 100% proven guilty.

Or maybe give the public the vote on whether someone should get the death penalty, democracy and all.

Although saying that, treating evil with evil it not necessarily the best way forward. Maybe it is better to focus on rehabilitating the people so they can leave prison and one day be "normal".
Si vis pacem, para bellum

You know, quoting inaccurate adages doesn't suddenly become a valid argument because they're Latin.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
You know, quoting inaccurate adages doesn't suddenly become a valid argument because they're Latin.

And who invited you to join in the discussion? Go back to Syria.

Latest