The Student Room Group

career change - advice needed

Hi, I've recently quit my first job out of college (administrative assistant which was a bad fit for me) and throughout the past year of working in an extremely boring job, I have been seriously considering going to vet school after doing some job shadowing.

My academic background:
A2: A* in Maths, Biology, Psychology
AS: A in Business Studies (which I know is useless LOL
Bachelor's degree in Psychology (GPA: 3.66 out of 4), 2:1 honors
I have quite a lot of research experiences in Psych and also did some presentations in international conferences and I will be able get some good reference from my professors without problem.

My animal experiences:
Only with my pet hamsters and cockatiels... :frown:
*I wasn't allowed to keep cats or dogs and there is no zoo here in my country (I live in Hong Kong) so there are only very few opportunities at a handful of animal shelters or farms; but I will try to volunteer at these places now I don't have to work.

I'd be more then grateful if any of you could give me some advice on what I can do to strengthen my CV (which is very weak at the moment I know). I don't think its likely I will get into any vet school without a chemistry a-level so I will try to study it on my own and take it this year.

Do you think getting animal experience and a good chemistry a-level would be enough for me to apply to vet school? Thanks!!
Original post by lexi1031
Hi, I've recently quit my first job out of college (administrative assistant which was a bad fit for me) and throughout the past year of working in an extremely boring job, I have been seriously considering going to vet school after doing some job shadowing.

My academic background:
A2: A* in Maths, Biology, Psychology
AS: A in Business Studies (which I know is useless LOL
Bachelor's degree in Psychology (GPA: 3.66 out of 4), 2:1 honors
I have quite a lot of research experiences in Psych and also did some presentations in international conferences and I will be able get some good reference from my professors without problem.

My animal experiences:
Only with my pet hamsters and cockatiels... :frown:
*I wasn't allowed to keep cats or dogs and there is no zoo here in my country (I live in Hong Kong) so there are only very few opportunities at a handful of animal shelters or farms; but I will try to volunteer at these places now I don't have to work.

I'd be more then grateful if any of you could give me some advice on what I can do to strengthen my CV (which is very weak at the moment I know). I don't think its likely I will get into any vet school without a chemistry a-level so I will try to study it on my own and take it this year.

Do you think getting animal experience and a good chemistry a-level would be enough for me to apply to vet school? Thanks!!

With the chemistry A level you should be fine qualifications wise. If possible could you get any work experience at a veterinary practice? All the universities in the uk ask for this (I'm not sure where you're looking at applying). If you're looking at uk then they might be more lenient with the work experience if it's difficult to get it where you live, but as long as you've made a good effort to collect some up you should be ok. It's mostly important you get the practice experience so you can show you understand what the veterinary career entails

Good luck with your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Lizziefickling
With the chemistry A level you should be fine qualifications wise. If possible could you get any work experience at a veterinary practice? All the universities in the uk ask for this (I'm not sure where you're looking at applying). If you're looking at uk then they might be more lenient with the work experience if it's difficult to get it where you live, but as long as you've made a good effort to collect some up you should be ok. It's mostly important you get the practice experience so you can show you understand what the veterinary career entails

Good luck with your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! Is there any chance I would even be considered if I only had chemistry at AS level by the time I apply to vet school? Do you guys know if any particular schools (in any country really:rolleyes:) that are slightly easier to get in?
I know Liverpool accepts AS chemistry at grade B, but would my chances of getting in be lowered?
It's just so hard being a mature student:frown:
Original post by lexi1031
Thank you so much! Is there any chance I would even be considered if I only had chemistry at AS level by the time I apply to vet school? Do you guys know if any particular schools (in any country really:rolleyes:) that are slightly easier to get in?
I know Liverpool accepts AS chemistry at grade B, but would my chances of getting in be lowered?
It's just so hard being a mature student:frown:

Your chances would not be lowered for Liverpool compared to someone with a full A2 providing you meet all the other grade criteria. I got into Liverpool with just AS chemistry at the time!

Different unis in the UK have a different emphasis - Liverpool are quite keen on work experience for example but Cambridge on the other hand place more emphasis on academics - so you need to apply where your strengths lie!

When I was applying to vet school (over 5 years ago so a lot may have changed) I looked into English courses abroad, and in particular Poland (Wroclaw & Warsaw did English vet courses at the time).Wroclaw were quite happy to accept me with zero work experience, no entrance exam and just a pass in my A levels providing I could pay their tuition fees. As things have become more competitive I suspect things may have changed. Certainly in some countries it may be easier to get onto the vet degree compared to the UK but these countries may also kick more people off if you don't pass exams whereas the "selection" process starts a lot sooner in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending