The Student Room Group

I want to fail my exams

I'm in the process of being diagnosed with depression. My 2nd year exams are two weeks away, plus I have a coursework (50% of my module) due on Monday. I can't bring myself to do any work at all. I haven't done any revision and I don't think I can until I find a way out of this. Not only do I need to revise everything, but I need to teach myself a semester's worth of two modules because I just couldn't get out of bed and attend their lectures. This would all be pretty impossible to do in two weeks, let alone while battling depression. If I even muster up the courage to sit my exams, I will definitely fail.

What I want to do is tell my course tutor and excuse myself from exams. I think 'failing' them now then resitting them later when I've hopefully gotten better is the lesser of two evils. I don't even think sitting my exams is a feasible option.

I'm just worried I'm not thinking rationally. I don't trust my own thinking. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. I just want to come out of this without scarring my future and my prospects.

Also, has anyone missed/failed their exams or deferred studies because of depression? Anyone gotten extenuating circumstances from their uni for depression?

Thanks for reading

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why have you been diagnosed with depression?, whats happened?
Go to see your GP immediately or a counselor at the SU, then contact your tutor soon after.
Reply 3
My tutor was going to put me on study leave until I got better. But it was quite a funny case - I was going to commit suicide and I told a close friend, after which he basically informed my tutor, warden and the NHS... I hadn't seen my GP for depression before that because I didn't want to be "mentally ill", despite my depressing thoughts and behaviour. I didn't want a study leave because I'd miss out on a year of studies so I talked to my GP for him to convince my tutor that putting me on leave would only make me worse... I think you're able to ask for a study leave if your GP recommends it.

As for extenuating circumstances, I've never applied for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I am currently a 3rd year student. I have however interrupted my studies recently because I felt like I wasn't going to be able to do well in my exams, and I was struggling to do my final year report. An interruption means that you basically stop your degree wherever you're at, so for me it's basically towards the end of this semester, and then come back after an agreed period of time to continue with your studies. I will be coming back in September to redo all my lectures from scratch for this year etc, and hopefully keep working consistently from the start all the way to the end. My depression got particularly bad around Christmas time, so end of the first semester and start of the second. I guess I ended up in a similar situation to you where I missed a lot of my lectures from my last semester and felt like I will not be able to revise enough for exams, especially because I couldn't get myself to start working.

You might want to look into interrupting, though bear in mind that it might be past the deadline already (for my university it's tomorrow, 22 April) and you need to get permission from your department as well. It may also not work out the same way it does for me; the people in my department were quiet forgiving and pretty much let me not finish my report despite applying for the interruption after the deadline, I was simply told to put the last day of attendance as the due date so it would look as if I interrupted before the report was due. My department also allows for me to pretty much resit the entire year (Even though we had homework that was part of the assessment for the modules, I will be able to redo those. Except for one module that was report based and I had already completely finished it in January, but any other module that I haven't handed reports in/written exams for I am allowed to redo completely)
Reply 5
Original post by BWV1007
My tutor was going to put me on study leave until I got better. But it was quite a funny case - I was going to commit suicide and I told a close friend, after which he basically informed my tutor, warden and the NHS... I hadn't seen my GP for depression before that because I didn't want to be "mentally ill", despite my depressing thoughts and behaviour. I didn't want a study leave because I'd miss out on a year of studies so I talked to my GP for him to convince my tutor that putting me on leave would only make me worse... I think you're able to ask for a study leave if your GP recommends it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to hear that things got so low for you. Have you gotten help since?
Is study leave always for a whole year?
How do you manage uni without extenuating circumstances?
Reply 6
Original post by BWV1007

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why don't you want a study leave? It would definitely do you a lot of good. You would be able to get some help for your depression and then still do well in your exams afterwards. I already struggled in the 2nd year too, and made the same mistake of just going with it/missing some exams. It pretty much screwed me over and put a lot more pressure on me for the 3rd year of uni because you have to make up for the losses if you still want to do well. It's a matter of having to get a 1st in every module to ensure actually getting a 2:1, and making a 1st nearly impossible. Plus if you're not getting any help then this is not going to get better. You will finish this year, redo any exams you need to and then go onto the 3rd year still struggling.
Reply 7
Original post by Nadile
I am currently a 3rd year student. I have however interrupted my studies recently because I felt like I wasn't going to be able to do well in my exams, and I was struggling to do my final year report. An interruption means that you basically stop your degree wherever you're at, so for me it's basically towards the end of this semester, and then come back after an agreed period of time to continue with your studies. I will be coming back in September to redo all my lectures from scratch for this year etc, and hopefully keep working consistently from the start all the way to the end. My depression got particularly bad around Christmas time, so end of the first semester and start of the second. I guess I ended up in a similar situation to you where I missed a lot of my lectures from my last semester and felt like I will not be able to revise enough for exams, especially because I couldn't get myself to start working.

You might want to look into interrupting, though bear in mind that it might be past the deadline already (for my university it's tomorrow, 22 April) and you need to get permission from your department as well. It may also not work out the same way it does for me; the people in my department were quiet forgiving and pretty much let me not finish my report despite applying for the interruption after the deadline, I was simply told to put the last day of attendance as the due date so it would look as if I interrupted before the report was due. My department also allows for me to pretty much resit the entire year (Even though we had homework that was part of the assessment for the modules, I will be able to redo those. Except for one module that was report based and I had already completely finished it in January, but any other module that I haven't handed reports in/written exams for I am allowed to redo completely)

Thank you so much for this, it's so helpful. That's exactly how I feel. It just feels so daunting to redo a whole year, but it also feels unfair to let myself be assessed when I'm just not myself. Do you feel good about your decision? Also, did you have an option to just resit exams and hand in your report later? Or was it an ultimatum between failing and redoing the whole year?

Much respect for taking control over your depression and sorting things out. I really hope I can do the same.
Reply 8
Original post by ikhan94

Sometimes there is no why. It just happens to some people.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
x

I was put on a 4-week waiting list for psychotherapy with the NHS, but it was shortened to a week after getting discharged from the A&E. Extenuating circumstances only apply for exams I think? I'm not sure how helpful they are for me and I haven't had serious problems with my studies - just that I'm suicidal and feel very, very lonely and low at times. Also sometimes I leave things to the last minute so the stress helps me forget whatever was disturbing my mind and focus on revising...

A bit of advice - if you feel that you might self-harm/attempt suicide, tell a friend and ask them to accompany you to A&E. You'll get assessed by the mental health team and get offered help like crisis team looking after you after your discharge in the comfort of your own home, a stay at the hospital etc. Don't leave it too late like me. I don't have any regrets though.

Original post by Nadile
x

I just couldn't imagine taking a year out after having only been at uni for two months, plus not having any responsibility/purpose makes me feel worse. I'm feeling better now and depressive episodes aren't that frequent anymore, after having gone through therapy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Joel 96
Sometimes there is no why. It just happens to some people.

Original post by ikhan94

I don't know why. I live a very privileged life and it makes me feel guilty that I'm depressed but sometimes there really is no one reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much for this, it's so helpful. That's exactly how I feel. It just feels so daunting to redo a whole year, but it also feels unfair to let myself be assessed when I'm just not myself. Do you feel good about your decision? Also, did you have an option to just resit exams and hand in your report later? Or was it an ultimatum between failing and redoing the whole year?

Much respect for taking control over your depression and sorting things out. I really hope I can do the same.

Resits at my university are kinda crap. If you go to an exam you will be treated as fit to sit it, there are no extenuating circumstances in the form of "we will take your condition into consideration when grading". But if you resit then the module is automatically capped at 40% (pass mark) meaning there is no point doing it unless you actually fail the module. Because this is the 3rd year, they don't do summer resits/1st sits so even if I asked if I could do my exams at the next available date, that would still be next year so I might as well go to the lectures. I could have probably applied for an extension on my report, but I didn't feel like it would help much since I was struggling to get going at all. It was generally recommended that I just interrupt because it let's you attend the lectures properly again and any other classes like tutorials. It is also helpful for me due to the homeworks which count to 20% of each module, and in the last semester I handed in next to none of them which puts a lot more pressure on the exams.

I am personally very relieved having interrupted. I initially went to the counselling service at my uni hoping to get some sort of extenuating circumstances (like extension on my report). I found out from them about the option of interrupting though, and while I didn't want to redo a whole year, it just seemed like too good of an option as opposed to struggling to do any revision for next month. My department also thought it was the best option since I was very behind and didn't feel ready for exams. I am still feeling kinda crap, but I'm no longer panicking. Before this I was generally thinking that I am just waiting for death. I didn't make plans for suicide, but it felt like it was a matter of waiting for my results to come out, find out I did crap and just kill myself then.

Definitely look into what your university can do for you. They should hopefully have some Counselling and Advice service. My university offers a few appointments per student, and if they feel like you need more help then they should support you in getting whatever else you can. For me, they refereed me to the Mental Health Coordinator at my uni, and I will be seeing him regularly during the next academic year to make sure I am fine. I saw him once so far and it's kinda like therapy basically, it was an hour appointment where he tried to talk to me about how I feel and what I struggle with. I am also seeing my gp regularly (partly because I'm on antidepressants) and I'm waiting on a phone appointment from some nhs therapy service that you self refer to (my gp gave me a form to send out), and hopefully I can start actually seeing a therapist sometime soon on a regular basis.

If you have more questions feel free to ask. Also feel free to write to me on priv if you'd like.
Original post by Anon3579
I don't know why. I live a very privileged life and it makes me feel guilty that I'm depressed but sometimes there really is no one reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't feel guilty. It can strike anyone at any time of their life, doesn't matter how smart or privileged you are.
Reply 13
Thank you for the advice. It's really comforting to see people getting through this despite the obstacles. It's great you can manage it in your own way. Do you feel therapy helps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the advice. It's really comforting to see people getting through this despite the obstacles. It's great you can manage it in your own way. Do you feel therapy helps?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will help if you and your therapist have a trusting relationship. You've gotta be really honest about your experiences and what you think of them, and you've got to be willing to consider what your therapist asks and says to you. This advice is probably more suited to psychotherapy because it's the one I had. You might not feel good after 3-4 and you're not expected to. It's a slow process, but just keep in mind that you want to get better and you are trying.
Reply 15
Original post by Nadile
Resits at my university are kinda crap. If you go to an exam you will be treated as fit to sit it, there are no extenuating circumstances in the form of "we will take your condition into consideration when grading". But if you resit then the module is automatically capped at 40% (pass mark) meaning there is no point doing it unless you actually fail the module. Because this is the 3rd year, they don't do summer resits/1st sits so even if I asked if I could do my exams at the next available date, that would still be next year so I might as well go to the lectures. I could have probably applied for an extension on my report, but I didn't feel like it would help much since I was struggling to get going at all. It was generally recommended that I just interrupt because it let's you attend the lectures properly again and any other classes like tutorials. It is also helpful for me due to the homeworks which count to 20% of each module, and in the last semester I handed in next to none of them which puts a lot more pressure on the exams.

I am personally very relieved having interrupted. I initially went to the counselling service at my uni hoping to get some sort of extenuating circumstances (like extension on my report). I found out from them about the option of interrupting though, and while I didn't want to redo a whole year, it just seemed like too good of an option as opposed to struggling to do any revision for next month. My department also thought it was the best option since I was very behind and didn't feel ready for exams. I am still feeling kinda crap, but I'm no longer panicking. Before this I was generally thinking that I am just waiting for death. I didn't make plans for suicide, but it felt like it was a matter of waiting for my results to come out, find out I did crap and just kill myself then.

Definitely look into what your university can do for you. They should hopefully have some Counselling and Advice service. My university offers a few appointments per student, and if they feel like you need more help then they should support you in getting whatever else you can. For me, they refereed me to the Mental Health Coordinator at my uni, and I will be seeing him regularly during the next academic year to make sure I am fine. I saw him once so far and it's kinda like therapy basically, it was an hour appointment where he tried to talk to me about how I feel and what I struggle with. I am also seeing my gp regularly (partly because I'm on antidepressants) and I'm waiting on a phone appointment from some nhs therapy service that you self refer to (my gp gave me a form to send out), and hopefully I can start actually seeing a therapist sometime soon on a regular basis.

If you have more questions feel free to ask. Also feel free to write to me on priv if you'd like.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel right now. Like just waiting to fail exams and deal with myself then. What you're saying definitely makes sense and it sounds like a good decision. What do you mean capped at 40%? Does that mean that if I miss these exams and 'resit' them, the highest I can get is a 40?

Thank you so much for the support, it really means a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Yeah that's exactly how I feel right now. Like just waiting to fail exams and deal with myself then. What you're saying definitely makes sense and it sounds like a good decision. What do you mean capped at 40%? Does that mean that if I miss these exams and 'resit' them, the highest I can get is a 40?

Thank you so much for the support, it really means a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, that's how my university works. Your university may do things differently. But yes, the way my uni does it is that if you miss (without extenuating circumstances that would let you "1st sit" the exam later) an exam then the highest you can get in that module (not exam) is 40% (pass), it's just how the retakes work. My uni is basically pretty strict when it comes to exams. I would recommend doing some research on your uni website about the options you have and find someone you could ask for advice. Definitely check if there is a cap on the marks you can get in your resits (though I think you would have heard of that by now since you're on your 2nd year?).

Edit: As for therapy, I haven't really had anything proper to say if it's helpful. But I can say that the few counselling sessions I've had, seeing my GP and the mental health coordinator have helped. It's nice to have someone who is thinking straight to talk to and ask for advice. I personally really want to move out because my parents stress me out, but I get overly optimistic/pessimistic quickly, which means that the moment I started thinking it would be hard I just got extremely discouraged from the idea and started thinking it's not possible, but my counsellor told me to research things properly instead of guessing. It's also great to have someone agree with you about your worries, and remind you that it's fine to feel distressed at times. It can also help figuring out what is actually causing your depression (if anything) and what are the best ways for you to fight it.

I don't know why. I live a very privileged life and it makes me feel guilty that I'm depressed but sometimes there really is no one reason.Posted from TSR Mobile

I get exactly this quite often >.> It feels like I'm not allowed to be depressed because I'm generally very privileged.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by BWV1007
It will help if you and your therapist have a trusting relationship. You've gotta be really honest about your experiences and what you think of them, and you've got to be willing to consider what your therapist asks and says to you. This advice is probably more suited to psychotherapy because it's the one I had. You might not feel good after 3-4 and you're not expected to. It's a slow process, but just keep in mind that you want to get better and you are trying.

Thanks :smile: I'm seeing a psychiatrist for the first time today, will keep this in mind :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nadile
Well, that's how my university works. Your university may do things differently. But yes, the way my uni does it is that if you miss (without extenuating circumstances that would let you "1st sit" the exam later) an exam then the highest you can get in that module (not exam) is 40% (pass), it's just how the retakes work. My uni is basically pretty strict when it comes to exams. I would recommend doing some research on your uni website about the options you have and find someone you could ask for advice. Definitely check if there is a cap on the marks you can get in your resits (though I think you would have heard of that by now since you're on your 2nd year?).

Edit: As for therapy, I haven't really had anything proper to say if it's helpful. But I can say that the few counselling sessions I've had, seeing my GP and the mental health coordinator have helped. It's nice to have someone who is thinking straight to talk to and ask for advice. I personally really want to move out because my parents stress me out, but I get overly optimistic/pessimistic quickly, which means that the moment I started thinking it would be hard I just got extremely discouraged from the idea and started thinking it's not possible, but my counsellor told me to research things properly instead of guessing. It's also great to have someone agree with you about your worries, and remind you that it's fine to feel distressed at times. It can also help figuring out what is actually causing your depression (if anything) and what are the best ways for you to fight it.

Yeah sorry there's a 40% cap on resits at my uni too, I meant the '1st sits'. Thank you so much for your advice though. I saw a psychiatrist today for the first time and I think I'm just gonna take control of things and go see my course tutor to see what my options are. Hopefully I'll be able to sit my exams later. Thanks so much for your support :smile:

And I live at home too. I got really fed up with my parents last year and was about to move out, but then realized that maybe all the financial and social stress of living out is probably not worth it. Pretty glad I made that choice now, I'm sure juggling all that extra responsibility would have made things worst. We all handle things differently and I don't know how stressed out your parents make you, but I would say just do what you think will make you happy. If the strain of living with your parents outweighs the strain of living out then I would say check your options and keep them open :smile:
Original post by Nadile

my depression is similar, and recently it got very bad, i applied for EC and see my gp every week. in my gp's letter, she wrote that ive never been depressed before, i was very withdrawn, and that im unfit to work etc

im just worried my ec form wont get accepted. what are my chances? have you applied for it before? how did it go?

Quick Reply

Latest