The Student Room Group

Muslims - Will you fast during exam period? Exam clash with Ramadan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ayman!
Yep :yep: it's only hard the first week or so and then I kinda get used to it.

Alright nice :smile:
Reply 201
In the final year of uni guys, ive been fasting during exams for a while now, it always helped me do better, it acc helps you focus or at least i find it does
Original post by celloel
I'm not a Muslim (but I am religious), and don't know much about the religion, but I'm kind of curious about this. Is it written that you have to fast, under any circumstances, or are you allowed to not fast if you have a reason, like exams or pregnancy? Can you just fast after the 'official' Ramadan to make up days you missed?

This resembles what I've been told a lot. https://islamqa.info/en/23296

tl;dr yep a few excuses not to
I'm always hungry so fast no fast my stomach will be rumbling in the exam hall, might aswell not lose the reward for an exam.
Original post by Himmy
In the final year of uni guys, ive been fasting during exams for a while now, it always helped me do better, it acc helps you focus or at least i find it does

yeah voluntary fasts (mon + thurs) always seemed to enhance my performance and these were for 3 hour exams.
I'll definitely be fasting, I've got exams in the morning, so I doubt, I'll hungry and thirsty by then.

The real struggle is in the afternoon or so.
Original post by Student403
@Ayman! @Zacken will you guys?

Thanks for asking me aswell ... :colonhash:

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Thanks for asking me aswell ... :colonhash:

I didn't know you were muslim! :O
Obviously who wouldnt...
Original post by bruce.wayne
Insha Allah, I will definitely fast because i just have two Papers(A2) and I believe Allah Almighty will give me strength. Anyways what are your subjects and when is your last paper? Good Luck for your papers!

Mashallah thats good, and I study RE, Psychology and business studies and my last exam is 22nd June Inshallah, wbu?
Original post by celloel
I'm not a Muslim (but I am religious), and don't know much about the religion, but I'm kind of curious about this. Is it written that you have to fast, under any circumstances, or are you allowed to not fast if you have a reason, like exams or pregnancy? Can you just fast after the 'official' Ramadan to make up days you missed?

It is obligatory however there are some reasons why its permissible not to fast such as pregnancy, illness, travelling etc. Exams however is a grey area, some consider it a valid reason to miss a fast and others do not so I'm guessing in this case its up to the individual and that is between them and Allah (God). You can fast anytime in the year to make up for missed fasts in Ramadan however fasts in Ramadan are very much filled with more blessings so its really someones loss if they don't.
Most of you guys don't follow Islam how it is supposed to be followed in terms of quran and hadith. No idea why you're all fussing over whether you will fast or not during exams.
Original post by safiyyah98
Awesome! Do you live on campus?

Nope! I prefer it at the comfort of my own home, but i love going on walks around the uni!
Original post by khanpatel321
Most of you guys don't follow Islam how it is supposed to be followed in terms of quran and hadith. No idea why you're all fussing over whether you will fast or not during exams.

May I ask what you are referring to when you say we don't follow Islam based on Quran and sunnah? Because I'm pretty sure most of us like to think we are. Please enlighten me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by noticemesenpai
Nope! I prefer it at the comfort of my own home, but i love going on walks around the uni!

Oh nice! Inshallah I will be living on campus because for nursing theres loads of night shifts etc so its best if I just stay there. When I went to the campus for my interview I really liked it! :biggrin:
It is obligatory however there are some reasons why its permissible not to fast such as pregnancy, illness, travelling etc. Exams however is a grey area, some consider it a valid reason to miss a fast and others do not so I'm guessing in this case its up to the individual and that is between them and Allah (God). You can fast anytime in the year to make up for missed fasts in Ramadan however fasts in Ramadan are very much filled with more blessings so its really someones loss if they don't.

Exams are not a valid excuse to miss ramadan's fasts under any valid opinion. I tagged you in a previous post where I explained this. Check IslamQA for further info; type "fasting excuses".

I don't understand why you're just making up stuff?
Original post by Butternuts96
Exams are not a valid excuse to miss ramadan's fasts under any valid opinion. I tagged you in a previous post where I explained this. Check IslamQA for further info; type "fasting excuses".

I don't understand why you're just making up stuff?

How am I making up stuff? It is a valid excuse. Islam was not made do be hard for us. We shouldn't see fasts as a burden and if I feel they will negatively affect my exams I will not keep them. They can cause dehydration and dizziness which is not an ideal state to take exams in, especially if they will determine if you will go to uni or not. I have spoken to a lot of knowledgeable people about Islam and they have told me the exact same thing. If you want to keep them, by all means do so, but you are allowed to miss one, if necessary, with the intention of making it up after. At the end of the day it is between an individual and Allah.
(edited 7 years ago)
How am I making up stuff? It is a valid excuse. Islam was not made do be hard for us. We shouldn't see fasts as a burden and if I feel they will negatively affect my exams I will not keep them. They can cause dehydration and dizziness which is not an ideal state to take exams in, especially if they will determine if you will go to uni or not. I have spoken to a lot of knowledgeable people about Islam and they have told me the exact same thing. If you want to keep them, by all means do so, but you are allowed to miss one, if necessary, with the intention of making it up after. At the end of the day it is between an individual and Allah.

Sis do you have proof for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
Sis do you have proof for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can get some, please bare with me

How? Which scholars are these? But most importantly . . . Where is the evidence?

Quick Reply

Latest