The Student Room Group

Current school or sixth form college?

I received an offer from a really good sixth form college, like their results are amazing and they have loads of cool enrichment to offer and it seems really fun, but it's 30 - 60 minutes away. I also won't know anybody, whereas in my current school i won't have the worry of fitting in and making new friends and stuff. Most of my friends are staying at the school too and i'll miss my school. My school doesn't get good A level results though, and i need the best results i can get as i'm going for medicine. I think i'll still be able to get good results at my current school if i work hard, and the teachers know me too (I know a few people at my school who did get good results), but i'll probably have a better chance at the college. According to t&a the pass rate in 2014 for my school was 37% and for the college it was 99% (2014). I don't know if i want to go to the college, but i don't want to reject the offer and regret it later. Everyone thinks i'm crazy for not being sure about the college :s-smilie:
sorry for the rant
Does anyone have any advice?
Also, i have to let the college know if i've accepted the offer in a week..
You're not crazy! I completely understand where you're coming from.

Personally? I'd pick the college. Especially as you're going into medicine. The difference between those pass grades is staggering and the results are very important. Academic stuff aside, in life, you'll always be going to new places and you won't be able to go everywhere with your friends; it's also helpful to get used to commuting. The college would be good practise and prepare you for the future in that sense. You've got a great offer to a great sounding college.

However, it all depends on how comfortable you will be. As important as results are, so is your happiness. I'm sure you'd be fine in the new environment, but I know it's scary to be separated from everyone you know. If you think it will really upset you, make you too anxious, etc etc, then you have to decide whether or not that will get in the way of your studies or negatively impact your time at college.

Whatever choice you make us going to be the right one. Congratulations on your offer and good luck :-)
Reply 2
Original post by saladays
You're not crazy! I completely understand where you're coming from.

Personally? I'd pick the college. Especially as you're going into medicine. The difference between those pass grades is staggering and the results are very important. Academic stuff aside, in life, you'll always be going to new places and you won't be able to go everywhere with your friends; it's also helpful to get used to commuting. The college would be good practise and prepare you for the future in that sense. You've got a great offer to a great sounding college.

However, it all depends on how comfortable you will be. As important as results are, so is your happiness. I'm sure you'd be fine in the new environment, but I know it's scary to be separated from everyone you know. If you think it will really upset you, make you too anxious, etc etc, then you have to decide whether or not that will get in the way of your studies or negatively impact your time at college.

Whatever choice you make us going to be the right one. Congratulations on your offer and good luck :-)

Thankyou, this makes me feel better
I think i'll accept it.. :smile:
Original post by iamayesha
I received an offer from a really good sixth form college, like their results are amazing and they have loads of cool enrichment to offer and it seems really fun, but it's 30 - 60 minutes away. I also won't know anybody, whereas in my current school i won't have the worry of fitting in and making new friends and stuff. Most of my friends are staying at the school too and i'll miss my school. My school doesn't get good A level results though, and i need the best results i can get as i'm going for medicine. I think i'll still be able to get good results at my current school if i work hard, and the teachers know me too (I know a few people at my school who did get good results), but i'll probably have a better chance at the college. According to t&a the pass rate in 2014 for my school was 37% and for the college it was 99% (2014). I don't know if i want to go to the college, but i don't want to reject the offer and regret it later. Everyone thinks i'm crazy for not being sure about the college :s-smilie:
sorry for the rant
Does anyone have any advice?
Also, i have to let the college know if i've accepted the offer in a week..

Hey. I've highlighted some key points in your post.
you've hopefully made up your mind now where you want to go, but i'd advise you to go to the better sixth form college. i made the mistake of going to my schools sixth form (one of the best in my area) and now nearly half a year in i've applied to go to another college which has better overall facilities and hopefully enrichment.

Draw up a list of pros and cons of each college. Yes there is the transport issue, but are you able to apply for a travel bursary at all? anyone you could share a lift with? carshare? on travelling distance you may have to take revision material such as flashcards which you can revise with on the journey so that time isn't wasted.

Enrichment and facilities i would say are important in some respect. See what each college has to offer. School sixth forms will normally be attached onto or inside the school, so you may still have to be with the younger kids, but you would be on the same level as teachers as respect goes... If there is little enrichment your schools 6th form offers you could find it only offers volunteering in lessons in main school and helping out in lessons. which is okay if you want, but see what clubs and activities both have to offer. Also see how big each college is compared with each other. If there is a tiny library for sixth formers who are revising for exams which is shared with a bunch of kids spending their lunch break, it is going to be packed of 6th formers in a noisy cramped environment. choose wisely.

Next, listen: you will make new friends at where ever you will go. at the sixth form college people hopefully will come from a mix of schools from around the area. If you haven't been to an open day/evening go to one. talk to current students in years 12-13. from them you can hear their accounts of the sixth form. You will find peoples friendship groups will change as you go through the 1st year of 6th form. It might be quite clicky at a sixth form where people have known each other since year 7, coming up the school together. so if your friends are moving on and you don't have a wide friendship circle you may find it harder to make friends, but there will be other new people at your sixth form as well.

finally, another point which you may not have considered, is what other subjects do the colleges offer? and are the grade requirements high for other subjects? if medicine doesn't work out for you is there a plan b? you need to do well in most of the academic subjects like geography, history, and english to do essay subjects at a level, otherwise you may only be left with softer subjects as essay subjects may be difficult. this depends of course.
some sixth forms are stricter and others, and oh then theres the dress code as well. some may be stricter than others. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by bizzy_penguin
Hey. I've highlighted some key points in your post.
you've hopefully made up your mind now where you want to go, but i'd advise you to go to the better sixth form college. i made the mistake of going to my schools sixth form (one of the best in my area) and now nearly half a year in i've applied to go to another college which has better overall facilities and hopefully enrichment.

Draw up a list of pros and cons of each college. Yes there is the transport issue, but are you able to apply for a travel bursary at all? anyone you could share a lift with? carshare? on travelling distance you may have to take revision material such as flashcards which you can revise with on the journey so that time isn't wasted.

Enrichment and facilities i would say are important in some respect. See what each college has to offer. School sixth forms will normally be attached onto or inside the school, so you may still have to be with the younger kids, but you would be on the same level as teachers as respect goes... If there is little enrichment your schools 6th form offers you could find it only offers volunteering in lessons in main school and helping out in lessons. which is okay if you want, but see what clubs and activities both have to offer. Also see how big each college is compared with each other. If there is a tiny library for sixth formers who are revising for exams which is shared with a bunch of kids spending their lunch break, it is going to be packed of 6th formers in a noisy cramped environment. choose wisely.

Next, listen: you will make new friends at where ever you will go. at the sixth form college people hopefully will come from a mix of schools from around the area. If you haven't been to an open day/evening go to one. talk to current students in years 12-13. from them you can hear their accounts of the sixth form. You will find peoples friendship groups will change as you go through the 1st year of 6th form. It might be quite clicky at a sixth form where people have known each other since year 7, coming up the school together. so if your friends are moving on and you don't have a wide friendship circle you may find it harder to make friends, but there will be other new people at your sixth form as well.

finally, another point which you may not have considered, is what other subjects do the colleges offer? and are the grade requirements high for other subjects? if medicine doesn't work out for you is there a plan b? you need to do well in most of the academic subjects like geography, history, and english to do essay subjects at a level, otherwise you may only be left with softer subjects as essay subjects may be difficult. this depends of course.
some sixth forms are stricter and others, and oh then theres the dress code as well. some may be stricter than others. :biggrin:

Sorry for such a late reply, i can't believe i didn't see this earlier.

Thankyou so much for all the advice, i've accepted the offer for now but i guess the real decision will be made over the summer. I'm focusing on trying to get good GCSEs for now haha. Both colleges offer the courses i want.

Also, yeah i have a plan B to medicine. Too many actually, i have so many ideas on what i want to do when i'm older but i'm so indecisive...which you can probably tell from my first post..

Do you mind me asking what A levels you're doing and how you find them? :smile:
Original post by iamayesha
Sorry for such a late reply, i can't believe i didn't see this earlier.

Thankyou so much for all the advice, i've accepted the offer for now but i guess the real decision will be made over the summer. I'm focusing on trying to get good GCSEs for now haha. Both colleges offer the courses i want.

Also, yeah i have a plan B to medicine. Too many actually, i have so many ideas on what i want to do when i'm older but i'm so indecisive...which you can probably tell from my first post..

Do you mind me asking what A levels you're doing and how you find them? :smile:

Always great to have a back up plan (s) :smile: i'm doing H&SC, textiles & sociology. even as these subjects perceived as soft options I find them a lot of work. I went to my schools 6th form and I regretted it 3 months in (on my plan B & going 2 college next year to do my more preferred a level choices:smile:) I've had 8 months to think about it +I don't need to worry bout uni yet either... focus on your gcse options which your going to be doing at a level :smile:, and focus on maths, english & science. resitting maths/english is a pain if u have to (i did & it wasted a lot of time which could've been used for a levels not resit gcses etc.:frown: good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by bizzy_penguin
Always great to have a back up plan (s) :smile: i'm doing H&SC, textiles & sociology. even as these subjects perceived as soft options I find them a lot of work. I went to my schools 6th form and I regretted it 3 months in (on my plan B & going 2 college next year to do my more preferred a level choices:smile:) I've had 8 months to think about it +I don't need to worry bout uni yet either... focus on your gcse options which your going to be doing at a level :smile:, and focus on maths, english & science. resitting maths/english is a pain if u have to (i did & it wasted a lot of time which could've been used for a levels not resit gcses etc.:frown: good luck :smile:

I'll definitely be focusing on maths and English thankyouu
At least you've got your resits over and done with and you're doing your preferred A levels now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest