The Student Room Group

Should pork be allowed in British Schools?

I read about a gentleman who was forced to turn down a job offer working in a school canteen because he wasn't able or willing to work with pork products such as bacon, sausages etc. Not only was he disappointed, he had his benefit sanctioned/ stopped for 6 months for refusing a job, luckily the sanction was over turned when they realised that his refusal was down to cultural reasons.

But the issue is should pork products etc be served in the first place if some people are unable to work with them? That pretty much rules a lot of people from taking such jobs.
You've also got many pupils and staff who might feel uneasy that their plate may of had pork on or have been washed in a dishwasher with pork remnants from other plates etc.

What are your opinions? Is it time to think about everyone and what is acceptable to the majority?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'd just say to that have separate plates for vegetarian options and meat options.
Original post by Ambitious1999
I read about a gentleman who was forced to turn down a job offer working in a school canteen because he wasn't able or willing to work with pork products such as bacon, sausages etc. Not only was he disappointed, he had his benefit sanctioned/ stopped for 6 months for refusing a job, luckily the sanction was over turned when they realised that his refusal was down to cultural reasons.

But the issue is should pork products etc be served in the first place if some people are unable to work with them? That pretty much rules a lot of people from taking such jobs.
You've also got many pupils and staff who might feel uneasy that their plate may of had pork on or have been washed in a dishwasher with pork remnants from other plates etc.

What are your opinions? Is it time to think about everyone and what is acceptable to the majority?

greatest happiness of the greatest number thus if people want bacon then bacon should be served
Reply 3
I think taking pork off would have too much negative attention towards it.. this will be turned towards Muslims, which is unfair. But taking pork off the menu would be unfair too. Maybe have two stations (one halal and one not?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I read about a gentleman who was forced to turn down a job offer working in a school canteen because he wasn't able or willing to work with pork products

That's an interesting definition of 'forced' you're employing there.

No, obviously kids' diets shouldn't be restricted because some non-employees have some bizarre superstitious compunctions about pig meat.
No it shouldn't be taken off. It's ridiculous that a load of people shouldn't get an item because one person chooses not to work with it.
It shouldn't be allowed it general. It's disgusting. All meats are disgusting. :smile:
He was not forced to do anything. If you want to bring bread to the table then you need to decide what is important and what isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a silly idea! If someone takes himself out of the running for a job for reasons of superstition they have only one person to blame and should expect no sympathy.

If your idea were followed, the next step would be to disallow the serving of beef to appease Hindus, followed swiftly by the banning of pasta to appease Pastafarians. Schoolchildren would be left eating crisps.
Original post by Vikingninja
No it shouldn't be taken off. It's ridiculous that a load of people shouldn't get an item because one person chooses not to work with it.

But then is it fair that the benefits people can terminate that persons benefit if they refused to take a job working with pork? Should pork be banned for that reason or should the benefits people not be allowed to stop that persons welfare?

I think you will find in this day and age an increasing number of people can't work with certain foods for religious reasons. Maybe things need to change.
Maybe things need to change.

You are right. People should stop doing (or refusing to do) things for reasons of superstition. This is the twenty-first century and all adult British citizens have been educated.
But then is it fair that the benefits people can terminate that persons benefit if they refused to take a job working with pork? Should pork be banned for that reason or should the benefits people not be allowed to stop that persons welfare?

I think you will find in this day and age an increasing number of people can't work with certain foods for religious reasons. Maybe things need to change.

You stated yourself that it was reverted for cultural reasons. Yes I will find that more people can't work with certain foods, I will also find that more people can work with these foods and also want to consume said foods. Why should things need to change if one single person refused a job which would result in change that affected a lot more people?

All the better for the people who aren't religious and will accept work if they need it and have no resonable alternative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Sikhs don't eat beef so would we then ban beef from schools? Lots of vegetarians won't touch or prepare meat so that rules out a lot of people from the job so do schools have to be completely animal product free now? Not being nit-picky or critical, just asking your opinion :smile:
That's like banning all meat because some people are vegetarian.
Or banning everything that's not vegan.
Pork should only be banned in Islamic schools, since those who do not eat it are not in the minority.
But then is it fair that the benefits people can terminate that persons benefit if they refused to take a job working with pork?

Yuuuup. No-one's fault but his, if he's gonna be a moron about it.
Lots of people have problems with food.

The Jews and the Muslims can't have pork.
The vegigies can't have any meat
The vegans can't have milk or eggs
The gluten free people can't have pizza or cake
The Hindus can't have seafood
The diabetics can't have sugar

If we banned everything that someone might have a problem with, we'd all starve as there'd be nothing left.

Solution: Don't ban anything but offer alternatives.
munge ftw

What a ****ing nancy state Britain is becoming...
Original post by the bear
munge ftw

P.S. Don't google "munging". Especially not on image search.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending