The Student Room Group

Nhs masters mental health nursing

Hi I'm looking to do a mental health nursing course and have been offered both undergraduate and masters courses. I already have a health studies degree. I'm swaying towards the masters however I notice that I will not be eligible to receive funding from SFE just the nhs bursary of £1000 + £4395. Would I be eligible to apply for a postgraduate loan? Thanks
Original post by Chocboy
Hi I'm looking to do a mental health nursing course and have been offered both undergraduate and masters courses. I already have a health studies degree. I'm swaying towards the masters however I notice that I will not be eligible to receive funding from SFE just the nhs bursary of £1000 + £4395. Would I be eligible to apply for a postgraduate loan? Thanks

The PGL loan scheme doesn't apply for courses where alternative funding is available like in this case.
Reply 2
I have spoken to the university and they have informed me that I would be eligible for the PGL in addition to NHS funding. Can I ask where you found out your information? I'm not saying that it is incorrect at all by the way! Everything I have read says that all MA or MSc courses qualify. In saying that there is no mention of how NHS bursaries are taken into account.
Original post by Chocboy
I have spoken to the university and they have informed me that I would be eligible for the PGL in addition to NHS funding. Can I ask where you found out your information? I'm not saying that it is incorrect at all by the way! Everything I have read says that all MA or MSc courses qualify. In saying that there is no mention of how NHS bursaries are taken into account.

"You can’t get a Postgraduate Loan for postgraduate level courses, such as PgCert (Postgraduate Certificate), PgDip (Postgraduate Diploma) or where the postgraduate course is funded by undergraduate student finance"
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=23299-Postgraduate-Loan-Full-time-Who-can-get-a-PGL
There might be an exemption for NHS funding but I would be surprised if that was the case. SFE and the NHS are generally both very keen to avoid doubling up on funding.
Original post by Chocboy

Hi

We're waiting on confirmation on how other sources of funding will affect your eligibility for a Postgraduate Loan. Once this is confirmed we'll let you know in the Postgraduate Loan section of SFE's Student Finance Zone.

If you choose to study an undergraduate course you can find out about the funding you can get in SFE’s Student Finance Zone and on the NHS Business Services Authority website.

Laura

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending