The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Advice

Hello,
I have trawled through some of the forums on here and not found the specific answer I am looking for, so sorry if this has already been answered!
Basically I had studied the BTEC Extended Diploma in Animal Management, and just fell short of DDD - so came out with DDM overall unfortunately, which is just under the Veterinary Medicine specifications. I am looking at taking A levels in September for Biology, Chemistry and Psychology as a third subject. I am 22 so am aware I will be slightly older than most of my classmates, which doesnt bother me - but the course structures have changed from previous years, to be all exam based, so the AS years do not count towards your grade, just the final 3 exams in A2 year. This does concern me slightly, whereas I know the Access to HE is more coursework based, which gives you the potential to bump grades up if you do not meet the standard. I have spoken to Admissions for RVC who state that they do not prefer the A levels over HE, but realistically is this the case? Because I (and fellow classmates) from the BTEC National Diploma found that Unis do tend to prefer the traditional route of A Levels. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know other factors come into it like work experience, which I currently have around 45 weeks, and interviews, but to make myself more appealing to the majority of Vet schools, are A Levels the best choice? Any advice would be really greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by N.Julia
Hello,
I have trawled through some of the forums on here and not found the specific answer I am looking for, so sorry if this has already been answered!
Basically I had studied the BTEC Extended Diploma in Animal Management, and just fell short of DDD - so came out with DDM overall unfortunately, which is just under the Veterinary Medicine specifications. I am looking at taking A levels in September for Biology, Chemistry and Psychology as a third subject. I am 22 so am aware I will be slightly older than most of my classmates, which doesnt bother me - but the course structures have changed from previous years, to be all exam based, so the AS years do not count towards your grade, just the final 3 exams in A2 year. This does concern me slightly, whereas I know the Access to HE is more coursework based, which gives you the potential to bump grades up if you do not meet the standard. I have spoken to Admissions for RVC who state that they do not prefer the A levels over HE, but realistically is this the case? Because I (and fellow classmates) from the BTEC National Diploma found that Unis do tend to prefer the traditional route of A Levels. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know other factors come into it like work experience, which I currently have around 45 weeks, and interviews, but to make myself more appealing to the majority of Vet schools, are A Levels the best choice? Any advice would be really greatly appreciated.

Hi there, I'm a third year at Liverpool. I don't know of anyone who did HE, most people have done A-levels and a couple of people with the BTEC but it might be worth speaking to other admissions offices and see what they say. One thing is that vet school is also fairly exam based and there is no way of avoiding that, if you struggle with exams you should try to get better at preparing for them rather than relying on coursework.
I'm not sure about other vet schools but here in my year lots of people have taken multiple gap years, already done a degree and one guy who has been in the army as a doctor for a long time. I came straight from A-levels and I was certainly one of the youngest.
45 weeks of WE is great, just make sure you have all the areas covered and its recent enough to be counted but that should get you an interview.
I think the best chance is to go for the course that you feel you stand the best chance of getting the required grades.
Sorry I can't be of more help. Best of luck x
Reply 2
Original post by Tenrec
Hi there, I'm a third year at Liverpool. I don't know of anyone who did HE, most people have done A-levels and a couple of people with the BTEC but it might be worth speaking to other admissions offices and see what they say. One thing is that vet school is also fairly exam based and there is no way of avoiding that, if you struggle with exams you should try to get better at preparing for them rather than relying on coursework.
I'm not sure about other vet schools but here in my year lots of people have taken multiple gap years, already done a degree and one guy who has been in the army as a doctor for a long time. I came straight from A-levels and I was certainly one of the youngest.
45 weeks of WE is great, just make sure you have all the areas covered and its recent enough to be counted but that should get you an interview.
I think the best chance is to go for the course that you feel you stand the best chance of getting the required grades.
Sorry I can't be of more help. Best of luck x

Hello,
Thankyou for the advice, I have contacted admissions for London who said they see it as equal to an A Level, but all other Universities seem to take it on a 'case by case' basis. I think I am much better off just doing A Levels as it will probably prepare me more, and I have longer to get in more work experience hopefully. Do you know how long ago they consider work experience? I'm not too sure if the things I did during my BTEC will be counted because it would have been over 2 years ago by the time I apply.
Reply 3
Original post by N.Julia
Hello,
Thankyou for the advice, I have contacted admissions for London who said they see it as equal to an A Level, but all other Universities seem to take it on a 'case by case' basis. I think I am much better off just doing A Levels as it will probably prepare me more, and I have longer to get in more work experience hopefully. Do you know how long ago they consider work experience? I'm not too sure if the things I did during my BTEC will be counted because it would have been over 2 years ago by the time I apply.

Each uni will have different requirements in terms of how recent any work experience needs to be, I can't remember all of them (normally 2-3 years I think) but you should be able to find this information on their websites under work experience requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending