The Student Room Group

UPDATE: Looking for insurance

Well I've just about rung every company I know and practically no one will insure me because I'm too high risk and if they will, they're giving me quotes on about £10,000 or more. It's just really f****** frustrating as my motive for passing my test was so I could cut down my college journey by 4 hours there and back. It take me 2 and a half hours on 4 buses just to get there and add another hour coming home with rush hour and the buses are often delayed but by car only 30-40 minutes. I've tried churchill, tesco black box, 4youngdrivers you name it. The annoying thing is I will only be driving the car in the next few months because I won't need it when I go to uni. I'm currently looking into leasing a car for short term and hoping that marmalade will be able to cover me since they won't cover my old car. Has anyone 18-24 had any experience leasing a car? :angry:
Loads of people that age lease cars. However you will be tied into a contract (usually 3 years).

You could rent a car for a few months?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shaymarriott
Loads of people that age lease cars. However you will be tied into a contract (usually 3 years).

You could rent a car for a few months?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean rent as in the same way you would rent abroad? Because I have been looking at this website which do 3 months lease which is perfect for me as I only need the car in the next 3 months.
£10,000 :redface:

What the hell?!!!! Have you got lots of speeding tickets and stuff??? Really high value car??? That's crazy!
Original post by mobbsy91
£10,000 :redface:

What the hell?!!!! Have you got lots of speeding tickets and stuff??? Really high value car??? That's crazy!

I don't know where I'm going wrong? I've never had any convictions, crashes anything like that no points no tickets. My car is a standard peugeot 206 1.1 with no modifications whatsoever. I'm 18 and I just passed so maybe it's that but honestly I am being given £10,000. Some sites are giving me £5,000 but that's still waaaaay too much and it's not fair.
Original post by mrpopodopalaus
I don't know where I'm going wrong? I've never had any convictions, crashes anything like that no points no tickets. My car is a standard peugeot 206 1.1 with no modifications whatsoever. I'm 18 and I just passed so maybe it's that but honestly I am being given £10,000. Some sites are giving me £5,000 but that's still waaaaay too much and it's not fair.

That's absolutely ridiculous... the only other things I'd think of are age of car, and where you live...

Other than that though... my insurance was less than £500 per year before I passed my test, and then when I passed (a month after getting the insurance), I had to pay an additional £782 for the 11 remaining months... So in total, about £1282 for a year for me... It's ridiculous you're getting so high!
They give you figures like that becayse the underwriter doesnt want your business, so look for another insurer.
That's absolutely ridiculous... the only other things I'd think of are age of car, and where you live...

Other than that though... my insurance was less than £500 per year before I passed my test, and then when I passed (a month after getting the insurance), I had to pay an additional £782 for the 11 remaining months... So in total, about £1282 for a year for me... It's ridiculous you're getting so high!

ugh -.- One guy on the phone said it's possibly my area but come on, the people crashing in my area are the senile ones and 30-something year olds who think they know it all. Am I meant to like never drive until I'm older and prices go down?
ugh -.- One guy on the phone said it's possibly my area but come on, the people crashing in my area are the senile ones and 30-something year olds who think they know it all. Am I meant to like never drive until I'm older and prices go down?

Haha, it's not just whether you'd crash into them, but if they'd crash into you... If it's a very high risk area, then that'll easily shoot the price up...

It really does suck, but because there are idiots who crash (and also some who accidentally crash) it's just how it is...
Haha, it's not just whether you'd crash into them, but if they'd crash into you... If it's a very high risk area, then that'll easily shoot the price up...

It really does suck, but because there are idiots who crash (and also some who accidentally crash) it's just how it is...

Ah man, I just really don't want to get my mum to pay £5,000 for a car I will only drive 3 months worth.
Ah man, I just really don't want to get my mum to pay £5,000 for a car I will only drive 3 months worth.

That kinda is ridiculous... I think someone else mentioned it, but it really might be worth looking at hiring options... It will be a little bit more for you than normal hire because of age, but over the 3 months, I reckon it'd probably be cheaper than paying the insurance...
That kinda is ridiculous... I think someone else mentioned it, but it really might be worth looking at hiring options... It will be a little bit more for you than normal hire because of age, but over the 3 months, I reckon it'd probably be cheaper than paying the insurance...

It is, we have finally found £2,164 for the year but my mum doesn't like paying in one big go. Monthly it would come to £2,500 or something which is the price range we were hoping for. Now we are just going to call other people who gave us quotes around £3,000 and see if they can do better.
It is, we have finally found £2,164 for the year but my mum doesn't like paying in one big go. Monthly it would come to £2,500 or something which is the price range we were hoping for. Now we are just going to call other people who gave us quotes around £3,000 and see if they can do better.

Nice one! Good luck with the others!
Reply 13
Lots of talk about calling... You're using a comparison site, right?
Original post by JoeTSR
Lots of talk about calling... You're using a comparison site, right?

im doing both
I'm a brand new driver and my parents got my full comp insurance for £1670 through 'sure thing' with me as owner/keeper and the main driver. It was the same company that I was insured with as a learner. The next nearest quote was for £2K from Adrian Flux. The difficulty came when my age and 'convertible' was mentioned in the same sentence. It's a lot of money but compared to another couple of classmates with mini hatches my insurance was £400 cheaper. Engine is 1.6. Perhaps you could try these companies?
Another classmate's mum drives a seat Leon and couldn't get her insurance to accept a new driver on her policy. They also wouldnt insure her on the other smaller engined family car as it is more than ten years old. The SL is 1.6.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending