The Student Room Group
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle

cumbria uni lancaster accommodation

has anyone sorted out accommodation at cumbria uni in lancaster?
Reply 1
no ive just put it down as my firm choice and was looking at all the accommodations available and it seems mill hall is the best option for me and it doesnt seem too bad
how about you?
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle
They all look pretty grim.
Reply 3
Ive put it down as firm aswell but ive decided to book at city block 3 only £118 with everythig included and is en suite
Reply 4
What course are you guys doing? Ive applied for diagnostic radioraphy?
Reply 5
I'm doing mental health nursing
Hey when did you guys get that email telling you about all the accommodate available to you....? Cuz I confirmed yesterday and they said they'll Send it by 24hrs and I still haven't got it yet....😁
Hey guys I studied at the University of Cumbria through 2012-2015 and stayed in Mill Hall and have been around the other accomodations so if anyone has questions please feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by paulthompson94
Hey guys I studied at the University of Cumbria through 2012-2015 and stayed in Mill Hall and have been around the other accomodations so if anyone has questions please feel free to ask :smile:

Hey I was wondering when the uni sends you the accommodations available cuz I still haven't got their email and also the positives and negative abou being in mill halls

Do you have any pictures of the bathrooms, lol?
Original post by 09bennyb
Hey I was wondering when the uni sends you the accommodations available cuz I still haven't got their email and also the positives and negative abou being in mill halls

Hey :smile:

I believe it took quite a while for myself once the offer came through, but your best bet is to phone the university and see what they say :smile:

I've made a little chart below for my own personal pros and cons and attached some photos for you guys.

I will say now that Lancaster's student accommodation isn't the prettiest but trust me the accommodation is still really good and I have loads of fond memories and Mill Hall is certainly a good choice

Pros

You are in town. You are a 2 minute walk from the pubs and clubs as well as the centre of Lancaster and the Sainsbury's supermarket so everything you need is very close by. It is only a 15-20 minute walk to the university from Mill Hall, and should you be lazy like I was when it was pouring of rain, a taxi cost £5 to get to the uni which we shared over 4 people

The rooms are fairly spacious for undergraduate accommodation, more spacious than the others in my personal opinion. You have a wash basin and mirror in your room too which is helpful.

The communal area on each floor is very large too and perfect for social gatherings. You will have a row of table tops and cupboards as well as a few couches or rows of chairs. Great times spent partying there!

Just behind Mill Hall is a beautiful canal walk should that be your thing. It is a lovely walk/run/cycle

Cons

It is important to remember Mill Hall is a renovated Mill, so don't expect a 5* accommodation. It is mainly stone built so can get chilly come winter, the heating works great though and you have a radiator in your room and mine was right next to my bed so I couldn't complain. Because it is a bit 'bland' I recommend throwing up some posters (prepare for them to fall down occasionally) and use your noticeboard given to you in the room to brighten things up. People have jokingly refered to it as a 'prison' with the bay windows and stone set up but its honestly a nice accommodation and I wouldn't change my mind in hindsight.

There are 2 showers and three toilets shared on each floor so I recommend planning your showers to avoid 'peak times' IE - 8am/9am when people are usually getting ready for university. You can go at this time, just be prepared for a wait :smile:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Do you have any pictures of the bathrooms, lol?

Unfortunately I don't but I have attached some photos in the previous reply of Mill Hall :smile:

There are two or three individual toilets and two individual showers and a bath on each floor :smile:
When i put it as my firm they sent it me about 2 days after theres no rush really they said they have loads of accomodation available because apparently not everyone has finished with interviews
Original post by 09bennyb
I'm doing mental health nursing
Hey when did you guys get that email telling you about all the accommodate available to you....? Cuz I confirmed yesterday and they said they'll Send it by 24hrs and I still haven't got it yet....😁

Hi i would just like to know if cumbria uni is actually quite lively and if you reccomend it i know ive put it as my firm but a second opinion always helps as im the only one from my collee whos actually got a place there
Original post by examworrier
Hi i would just like to know if cumbria uni is actually quite lively and if you reccomend it i know ive put it as my firm but a second opinion always helps as im the only one from my collee whos actually got a place there

Hey!

Yeah the university and social life is certainly lively. There are society's from cheerleading to theatre, table top gaming, sports etc and in town there are many nightclubs that constantly hold student nights as well as Sugarhouse which is owned by Lancaster University but allows Cumbria students entry too which is solely a student club.

You are also not short for live entertainment around the area with a theatre and live music in some of the pubs (there is an insane amount of pubs in such a small centre)

The University of Cumbria is still relatively new and growing hence why it isn't all that common but I would never change the course or my time at the university, the lecturers were fantastic and the general vibe was really really good. With it being a small campus you start to recognise people and have a general friendly recognition with lots of students around you.

Hope this helps :smile:
x

Do you have any experience with the student support, or whatever it's called?:colondollar: I'll need a lot of support for my mental health at uni :colondollar:
Do you have any experience with the student support, or whatever it's called?:colondollar: I'll need a lot of support for my mental health at uni :colondollar:

The student support system in place is very good and helped me relax into my time at university. There are trained Counsellors and Therapists you can book into see and all staff are given training to help spot any signs students need help.

If you need to book an appointment you simply fill out an online form and they will get back in touch with you and arrange a meeting and take it from there :smile:

There is also an on site chaplaincy too for anyone who wishes to use it.

If you also ever need to talk I'm usually around here so just drop me a message :smile:
The student support system in place is very good and helped me relax into my time at university. There are trained Counsellors and Therapists you can book into see and all staff are given training to help spot any signs students need help.

If you need to book an appointment you simply fill out an online form and they will get back in touch with you and arrange a meeting and take it from there :smile:

There is also an on site chaplaincy too for anyone who wishes to use it.

If you also ever need to talk I'm usually around here so just drop me a message :smile:

Do you have to make an appointment or is there anyone you can just turn up to?
Do you have to make an appointment or is there anyone you can just turn up to?

Not something I'm familiar with but I will find out for you and get back to you :smile:
x

Some more questions about Mill Hall!:colondollar: What are the internet and hot water like? Do you ever have to go without hot water?:frown: And is it true that everything breaks?
Reply 19
Some more questions about Mill Hall!:colondollar: What are the internet and hot water like? Do you ever have to go without hot water?:frown: And is it true that everything breaks?

The whole city had a powercut at christmas time and that's the only time that we've ever had to go without hot water but aside from that it's good. Also internet is generally good. It didn't work the first day we moved in but they fixed it pretty quick. On my floor we've had quite a few things break like our oven and our bathroom sink had a leak in it but the maintenance people are pretty quick at fixing it usually on the same day or the next day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending