The Student Room Group

Babies talk

Scroll to see replies

I definitely wouldn't have kids until I was at least 30 tbh
Original post by Ayaz789
I think 32 is too late lol :P I want em early lol

yeah, same but, around 28 max. I'm slightly worried about the effects of the implant especially if I choose to continue with it for another 3 years
Original post by Anonymous
I respect that, and thank you for sharing. I guess comparing it to my mother at 26-27 that's why I saw it as old. While disregarding how things and time has changed.

Meh, my mum was 36 when I was born and 40 when I had my sister - it was considered old at the time, and she was older than most of my friend's mums, but it never really affected me in a negative way.

I think a lot of people's expectations are shaped by their peers. Lots of my friends and colleagues have started having babies in the last couple of years at a similar age to me, so it's really not unusual at all for us - the joys of trying to balance a career with child-bearing!
yeah, same but, around 28 max. I'm slightly worried about the effects of the implant especially if I choose to continue with it for another 3 years

Haha aw dw about it:smile: Talk to your partner about it maybe & talk through it :smile: i want em by 28 max too haha
Original post by Helenia
Meh, my mum was 36 when I was born and 40 when I had my sister - it was considered old at the time, and she was older than most of my friend's mums, but it never really affected me in a negative way.

I think a lot of people's expectations are shaped by their peers. Lots of my friends and colleagues have started having babies in the last couple of years at a similar age to me, so it's really not unusual at all for us - the joys of trying to balance a career with child-bearing!

Yeah.. the 'joys' haha. But, i'm really comparing mine to my mother not really my peers. And just wary about some health issues that could be genetic and sprung up near the 40s region.
Original post by Ayaz789
Haha aw dw about it:smile: Talk to your partner about it maybe & talk through it :smile: i want em by 28 max too haha

I'll give it 2 more years or so, when we're more mature and not thinking so much about uni.
I'll give it 2 more years or so, when we're more mature and not thinking so much about uni.

Haha yeah its upto you so take your time:biggrin:
I had mine between 30-38. Would've been between 30-35, but I lost one in the first trimester, and couldn't face trying again til I was 37. Make no assumptions.
Original post by DrSocSciences
I had mine between 30-38. Would've been between 30-35, but I lost one in the first trimester, and couldn't face trying again til I was 37. Make no assumptions.

Aw, thank you for sharing that, I guess the general point is, let life have its way and not to plan it too much. Glad I was able to see other views . Thank you
My parents were 34 and 35 when I was born, and I'm an only child, so I don't really see 32 as being a problem.

I had my first at 21 (husband was 28)
second at 23 (husband was 30)
third at 25 (husband was 32)
fourth at 29 (husband was 36)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
My parents were 34 and 35 when I was born, and I'm an only child, so I don't really see 32 as being a problem.

I had my first at 21 (husband was 28)
second at 23 (husband was 30)
third at 25 (husband was 32)
fourth at 29 (husband was 36)

interesting,I just thought that because my partner is younger than me, he'll push the time back more. But nice to see the other version.
So what kind of commitment is he offering, given that you're talking about kids, but he's expecting you to wait 12 years? It sounds to me like a very uneven deal.

My sister spent her entire twenties with a guy who eventually disappeared over the horizon. By the time she'd recovered from that relationship, and found a new partner, it was too late for her to have her own children.
So what kind of commitment is he offering, given that you're talking about kids, but he's expecting you to wait 12 years? It sounds to me like a very uneven deal.

My sister spent her entire twenties with a guy who eventually disappeared over the horizon. By the time she'd recovered from that relationship, and found a new partner, it was too late for her to have her own children.

I see where you're coming from, and from what I have seen in him, career and being certain and establishing one self is more of a priority and he is selfish when he comes to me, not in a clingy way. He just wants to enjoy each stage well... plus we did discuss that kids will only happen when our relationship is at its strongest.
We did discuss that kids will only happen when our relationship is at its strongest.

A protracted relationship doesn't necessarily equate to a strong relationship. What does "at its strongest" mean? You are both on different pages currently, and he sounds unlikely to compromise, - which means that you will have to. Have you really accepted that? I don't think you have, hence this thread.
A protracted relationship doesn't necessarily equate to a strong relationship. What does "at its strongest" mean? You are both on different pages currently, and he sounds unlikely to compromise, - which means that you will have to. Have you really accepted that? I don't think you have, hence this thread.

The "at its strongest" is a quote by several couples I know who have kids. They've said that babies do change and test one's love for one another through patience and lack of sleep. So , when the relationship gets to that optimum level , then having kids won't affect is as much as the foundation is strong. And this is the condition we are willing to go by.

I don't think he's unlikely to compromise, just that it's not a priority therefore, seeing it in the far distant future makes sense from his side.

And yes , we're on two different pages now, but doesn't mean it will be like that for a long time. So if anything, we both will have to compromise. Not just one person.

In addition, as mentioned earlier, maturity does change one. And to be frank, we're still maturing and growing up. I just started this thread to see others opinion around such matter and comparing it to mine, in aid to help my understanding of this topic.
I'd probably wait 2-3 years into my marriage before having a child

I've not really thought of a specific age :lol:
Original post by Ayaz789
25-26 for me as a guy

That is soo old Ayaz!! Really??
I was discussing about kids with my bf, and he said that he wants one when i'm 32.. we're nearly 2 years apart, i'm 20 he's 18(19 in may) . I personally think 32 is a bit old.. what age do you guys plan/think of having kids?

I would like to have mine when everything is good.. if it's 32 so be it, but for now...it's a bit old

I genuinely though that this was a thread about OP wondering if babies can actually talk

Spoiler

Original post by thefatone
I genuinely though that this was a thread about OP wondering if babies can actually talk

Spoiler

haha, sorry to disappoint you

Quick Reply