The Student Room Group

Will universities still consider me in this situation?

Basically I am studying 5 AS levels at my sixth form as I am in year 12. I know 5 is a lot compared to many but most people do 5 at my sixth form because 1 is an enrichment and the college practically made everyone do one! :frown:

Anyway, I am targeted B's in all subjects and I really want to apply to the University of Liverpool in November to study Law with Business and the entry requirements are ABB. I will have 5 AS levels at that time but will they take into consideration the fact I do 5 if I say only get B's in all of them? I am better at some subjects than others and I feel pretty confident but I don't want to ginx anything as my exams are 4 weeks away :O

Overall, I am feeling under lots of pressure to do really well to improve my chances of being accepted because Liverpool is really where I want to go. Business is the only subject I do which is part of Government reforms so my AS grade won't even count towards A2. Will the university consider this also?

HELP!?
Original post by GeorgeB16
Basically I am studying 5 AS levels at my sixth form as I am in year 12. I know 5 is a lot compared to many but most people do 5 at my sixth form because 1 is an enrichment and the college practically made everyone do one! :frown:

Anyway, I am targeted B's in all subjects and I really want to apply to the University of Liverpool in November to study Law with Business and the entry requirements are ABB. I will have 5 AS levels at that time but will they take into consideration the fact I do 5 if I say only get B's in all of them? I am better at some subjects than others and I feel pretty confident but I don't want to ginx anything as my exams are 4 weeks away :O

Overall, I am feeling under lots of pressure to do really well to improve my chances of being accepted because Liverpool is really where I want to go. Business is the only subject I do which is part of Government reforms so my AS grade won't even count towards A2. Will the university consider this also?

HELP!?

universities base their offers on 3 a levels and would accept AAA for example over BBBBB. Please only take 3 A levels to maximise your chances of getting into your favoured university
Reply 2
Original post by swansea jack 1
universities base their offers on 3 a levels and would accept AAA for example over BBBBB. Please only take 3 A levels to maximise your chances of getting into your favoured university

Well it's a bit late to do anything now as I already do 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then drop 2 next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not too late at all. You can do this from September. Basically you have 2 choices. Carry on as you are and put your chosen university at risk or do something positive to try and maximise your chances. How will you feel on results day next year if you choose your current option miss out on what you really want knowing that you could have done something to stop that happening.

HELP!?

They're not going to give you a lower offer or more leniency just because you're taking more A Levels. So you need to make sure that you're focusing on the subjects that are specified in your offer (if you get one) and you should definitely drop at least one subject next year. Taking 5 A2s when you're concerned about meeting your offer grades is a very dangerous thing.
Reply 6
Original post by Plagioclase
They're not going to give you a lower offer or more leniency just because you're taking more A Levels. So you need to make sure that you're focusing on the subjects that are specified in your offer (if you get one) and you should definitely drop at least one subject next year. Taking 5 A2s when you're concerned about meeting your offer grades is a very dangerous thing.

I am definitely dropping 1 this year. Which one is to be confirmed. Would it be worth dropping a 2nd? Is 4 A2's a bit risky?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am definitely dropping 1 this year. Which one is to be confirmed. Would it be worth dropping a 2nd? Is 4 A2's a bit risky?

Posted from TSR Mobile

in your position yes definitely
Reply 8
You're only meant to take 4 AS and 3 A2, General studies and EPQ are there to stretch students that find AS to easy. (im guessing thats what you mean by the enrichment) But if you are doing 4 AS and an EPQ/ General studies you are doing the right amount. round me, the grammars make you do the EPQ/ GS but no one else, its optional everywhere else. As someone who is resitting year 12 i reallllly wouldn't recommend doing any more than you think is good. I doubt a uni will drop their offers for you even if you have more. I'll have 4 A levels at the end of 6th form because i dropped a year but they will only count 3 of them even thought all 4 will be declared on UCAS. you want to fight for the highest grades you can, not the most grades you can.
Reply 9
I'd definitely drop down to 3 A2s. When you do 4, they seem to tend to just extend the offer, so instead of everyone else's BBB offer, you end up with an offer of BBBB (which is dumb, but unfortunately the way it is). Plenty of people get into Oxbridge on 3, there's no need for more.
Quality over quantity is the crux of the matter.

AAB will get you into a substantially better university than BBBBb.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending